8 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Just noticed I haven't seen any commentary from in any of the recent film discussions? Something happen to him? 

I know he was frustrated by some of the discussion that happens on the board --particularly the people who view having different opinions as a moral failing.

He was also accused of being a bigot by a number of people here.

• True 1

I think a few of you are taking your personal opinions of D1P or the politics board and using it to say why sblfilms left. :p 

I know why he left, and no one has it right. I wish he were posting here, but I'm happy I still speak with him. Looking forward to his return to my area for another double date.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think a few of you are taking your personal opinions of D1P or the politics board and using it to say why sblfilms left. :p 

I know why he left, and no one has it right. I wish he were posting here, but I'm happy I still speak with him. Looking forward to his return to my area for another double date.

Special Forces operation in southeast Asia, got it

• Hype 1

58 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Ah yeah, forgot the most obvious answer.

@SaysWho? will decide why sblfilms left. :|

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He came back as @UpvoteShittyTakesOnly but disappeared after everyone found out it was him.

This is actually my brother Connor, who I have shared an account with since the days of IGN. It was kind of a running bit at this point, but probably 90% of the posts on the account were me me over the last 7-8 years :p He is more of a lurker by nature.

I am good. I don't hate anybody here. I actually miss many of you goobers, even the ones who were kinda jerks ;) I have pretty much removed all internet socialization from my life (except for my very narrow baseball twitter account for during the season), and have intentionally leaned in to real world interactions as I think on balance digital communication has been a net negative for society. 

I am busy with my kids schooling, and now have a couple more kiddos I am tutoring through college. My oldest will be done with his bachelors next spring, so I have been doing a lot of LSAT prep stuff with him as I think he will take that this Fall? I am not entirely sure of the timeline quite yet on when he should take it. But it is a fun test. I did a few of the practice tests that are old LSAT exams, and it is legitimately a fun type of test.

I also am neck deep in a new business venture that involves a lot of travel. I've been in LA a bunch lately for meetings, and was in Park City for Sundance. The basic gist of the new company is we are a booking platform for filmmakers and theaters to connect to help fill the gap vacated by the major studios in the post pandemic world. The dummies gutted a lot of their theatrical production pipeline during the pandemic thinking that their direct to consumer dream was finally here. Whoops. Warners for example is probably 5 years away from being back to their old production output. So, so, so dumb. But it opens the door for what I am working on. It was really interesting to see how few movies sold out of Sundance as even the streamers have tightened their belts and aren't dropping dollars all over the place like they did through the 2023 film festival cycle.

I am having more and more conversation with filmmakers (directors and producers), as that is the side of the equation I understand the least. But the response has been really positive and I think we can crack the nut on making it a viable mechanism for theatrical distribution. Getting more content into cinemas, more varied content, and with more flexibility for both the content owners and the theaters is quite the trick to pull off, but I feel more certain of this than anything I've done in my professional career to date. My goal is to get out first title into theaters in January 2025, and I think we are on track for that. I'll hopefully have a decently far along version of the website in the next 8-ish weeks. I'll post a link so you can tell me what you think.

Anyway, if anybody wants to reach out to me, send me an email to sblfilms at gmail and I'll give you my cell number. I'll be all over the map the rest of the year at various film festivals and always enjoy sharing a meal with the D1Pers.

• Like 4
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 11
  • Hype 1

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is actually my brother Connor, who I have shared an account with since the days of IGN. It was kind of a running bit at this point, but probably 90% of the posts on the account were me me over the last 7-8 years :p He is more of a lurker by nature.

I am good. I don't hate anybody here. I actually miss many of you goobers, even the ones who were kinda jerks ;) I have pretty much removed all internet socialization from my life (except for my very narrow baseball twitter account for during the season), and have intentionally leaned in to real world interactions as I think on balance digital communication has been a net negative for society. 

I am busy with my kids schooling, and now have a couple more kiddos I am tutoring through college. My oldest will be done with his bachelors next spring, so I have been doing a lot of LSAT prep stuff with him as I think he will take that this Fall? I am not entirely sure of the timeline quite yet on when he should take it. But it is a fun test. I did a few of the practice tests that are old LSAT exams, and it is legitimately a fun type of test.

I also am neck deep in a new business venture that involves a lot of travel. I've been in LA a bunch lately for meetings, and was in Park City for Sundance. The basic gist of the new company is we are a booking platform for filmmakers and theaters to connect to help fill the gap vacated by the major studios in the post pandemic world. The dummies gutted a lot of their theatrical production pipeline during the pandemic thinking that their direct to consumer dream was finally here. Whoops. Warners for example is probably 5 years away from being back to their old production output. So, so, so dumb. But it opens the door for what I am working on. It was really interesting to see how few movies sold out of Sundance as even the streamers have tightened their belts and aren't dropping dollars all over the place like they did through the 2023 film festival cycle.

I am having more and more conversation with filmmakers (directors and producers), as that is the side of the equation I understand the least. But the response has been really positive and I think we can crack the nut on making it a viable mechanism for theatrical distribution. Getting more content into cinemas, more varied content, and with more flexibility for both the content owners and the theaters is quite the trick to pull off, but I feel more certain of this than anything I've done in my professional career to date. My goal is to get out first title into theaters in January 2025, and I think we are on track for that. I'll hopefully have a decently far along version of the website in the next 8-ish weeks. I'll post a link so you can tell me what you think.

Anyway, if anybody wants to reach out to me, send me an email to sblfilms at gmail and I'll give you my cell number. I'll be all over the map the rest of the year at various film festivals and always enjoy sharing a meal with the D1Pers.

Why aren't you posting here anymore regularly? Unless I missed this in your post lol. 

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Come here you son of a bitch and give me a hug. 

• Hugs 1

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

mrw GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Glad things are still going well! :hug:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I know he was frustrated by some of the discussion that happens on the board --particularly the people who view having different opinions as a moral failing.

He was also accused of being a bigot by a number of people here.

Not the first time. It's either right or wrong think on many a topic here, but whatever.

7 hours ago, Biggie said:

Come here you son of a bitch and give me a hug. 

#MeToo (for real @sblfilmsyou're a genuine awesome addition within our community & we miss your presence. That said, congrats on all the IRL awesomeness you're experiencing and just ... don't be a stranger if you can!)

• Like 1

So he’s working on become an even more rich insufferably immoral person. Got it. :p

yeah I noticed he was gone when a topic I had people quoting him, but the actual replies were from “Guest”. So I DM’d somebody and asked what was up.

I assumed he was migrating to Truth Social. j/k again. 

• Sad 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, best3444 said:

Why aren't you posting here anymore regularly? Unless I missed this in your post lol. 

It is multifaceted, but one of the things I have noticed overtime is a decreased interest in discussion on a...discussion board. Talking through complex topics is discouraged, and I think this has less to do with entrenching due to politics and far more to do with us all turning into old codgers :p Our patience is collectively diminishing over time as we age.

But there are also some people who I feel take it a step further and simply become mean for the sake of being mean, because like literally, what in the world does it even matter what I think? Even if (or when!) I have the dumbest POV on any given issue, I am irrelevant. But people ascribe the stakes of the macro conversation to even the micro conversation here. It is why I have been more selective about the topics I even wade into as it has become abundantly clear that many people feel certain issues so deeply that discussion itself is painful. And I get that to some degree, despite me not personally feeling that way as I'll talk about anything with anyone as long as they are willing to. But I am not here to be intentionally harmful to anybody.

What is odd is that I've even noticed a shift in discussion of stuff like movies and games that makes it feel more like a chore to engage with. I mostly plan to check back here to see how everybody is doing from time to time, and to let you know I am still kicking :) 

I also just want to give more of my time to my kids, especially my oldest. John will be 18 next January and theoretically able to venture out on his own. There is a whole lot of shaping him left for to do, and most of the time I spend on places like this or social media feels like time I should give him at this point. He is a great kid, legitimately a better version of me in every way, and I am already starting to feel some of the sadness of him being gone even though he is still here. Parenting, man.

On 2/15/2024 at 3:17 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

You came to Utah? :|

On literally my last day I realized I knew a D1Per in the area and I thought to ask @Kal-El814 to get your number for me. I will likely be there every year for Sundance moving forward, so PM me your number and I will 100% make time for you when I am there!

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1