10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is multifaceted, but one of the things I have noticed overtime is a decreased interest in discussion on a...discussion board. Talking through complex topics is discouraged, and I think this has less to do with entrenching due to politics and far more to do with us all turning into old codgers :p Our patience is collectively diminishing over time as we age.

But there are also some people who I feel take it a step further and simply become mean for the sake of being mean, because like literally, what in the world does it even matter what I think? Even if (or when!) I have the dumbest POV on any given issue, I am irrelevant. But people ascribe the stakes of the macro conversation to even the micro conversation here. It is why I have been more selective about the topics I even wade into as it has become abundantly clear that many people feel certain issues so deeply that discussion itself is painful. And I get that to some degree, despite me not personally feeling that way as I'll talk about anything with anyone as long as they are willing to. But I am not here to be intentionally harmful to anybody.

What is odd is that I've even noticed a shift in discussion of stuff like movies and games that makes it feel more like a chore to engage with. I mostly plan to check back here to see how everybody is doing from time to time, and to let you know I am still kicking :) 

I also just want to give more of my time to my kids, especially my oldest. John will be 18 next January and theoretically able to venture out on his own. There is a whole lot of shaping him left for to do, and most of the time I spend on places like this or social media feels like time I should give him at this point. He is a great kid, legitimately a better version of me in every way, and I am already starting to feel some of the sadness of him being gone even though he is still here. Parenting, man.

On literally my last day I realized I knew a D1Per in the area and I thought to ask @Kal-El814 to get your number for me. I will likely be there every year for Sundance moving forward, so PM me your number and I will 100% make time for you when I am there!

Well you got your priorities straight and I always knew you were a great father and husband. Glad you're doing well and yes please stop by to let us know how you're doing from time to time. 

• Halal 1