~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"

37 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Hey I just thought of something. What if we all got to go PC next generation. How will the master race cope without looking down on the rest of us? lol 

just get better pcs than yall, duh!!

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

XBOX mid/next-gen refresh still happening…? High-end Series X refresh coming, but the Series S refresh might be a… dockable handheld??? 

WWW.ALTCHAR.COM

A next-gen Xbox console is on track to launch in 2026 according to rumours. Apparently, Microsoft are planning to release two devices - a traditional high-end console and a dockable Switch-like...

Codenamed LastBox

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I don’t think Xbox has been performing that well under his stewardship. Internal studios like 343, Rare, and the Coalition have mixed success.  The Initiative have yet to do anything since being established in 2018.  Big IP like Halo and GoW have sort of waned in popularity to the point Forza is bigger than both which is crazy. Releasing the Series S is a head scratcher. 

The games industry has been betting big on celebrity developer fakes who are actually only spokespersons who take credit for their teams work but have no other talents and it shows. 

And I mean.. that's because executives are also fakes taking credit for other people's work so it's all they understand. It's not limited to Microsoft either, it's Sony and third parties too right now. It's disgusting. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

The games industry has been betting big on celebrity developer fakes who are actually only spokespersons who take credit for their teams work but have no other talents and it shows. 

And I mean.. that's because executives are also fakes taking credit for other people's work so it's all they understand. It's not limited to Microsoft either, it's Sony and third parties too right now. It's disgusting. 

….i dunno about this haha. I think most people understand that CEOs and executives and public facing individuals have specific roles separate from the people doing the work. And they speak in broad terms like “here at Microsoft, we blah blah blah.” Sure it’s artificial PR speak but it’s not anything new. 

The line was already crossed with the leak that they’d take a Bethesda game, with no prior deal in place, to PS/Switch.

People are freaking out now over AAA, but realistically speaking, we should now expect Starfield to come over at some point.  And it’s not a big stretch from there to Gears, or anything else.

Microsoft could try to walk this back, but people’s expectations are now fundamentally changed.  The damage to the Xbox hardware brand has been done.

• Halal 1

The more I think about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that genuinely does appear to be the execution of what Phil has been saying for ages that platform exclusives would be determined on a "case by case" basis.

He said it in 2020 when the Zenimax acquisition was announced and reiterated it again when Starfield released.

• True 2

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The more I think about it, the more I've come to the conclusion that genuinely does appear to be the execution of what Phil has been saying for ages that platform exclusives would be determined on a "case by case" basis.

He said it in 2020 when the Zenimax acquisition was announced and reiterated it again when Starfield released.

You could be right.  But, why would they say they are going to have a "state of the business" stream if there wasn't going to be something new?

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

You could be right.  But, why would they say they are going to have a "state of the business" stream if there wasn't going to be something new?

Phil's comments were informal statements given during interviews.  What's upcoming will be an official articulation of the strategy.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I trust it to be as case-by-case as Sony is with their PC ports, *if* the rumors are credible.  More a matter of when than if, especially once the money starts rolling in.

It’s also hard to believe this was the plan all along, when some of the leaks point to internal strife over these decisions.  The facts on the ground have also changed considerably since Series X stopped selling out and Games Pass growth was first put into question.

The second they port anything to Nintendo or Playstation that isn't COD or Minecraft, even if it's fucking Redfall only it does massive damage to the brand. Porting over a few select titles also doesn't move the needle, certainly not enough to offset the damage it will do. Hi Fi Rush is a great game and all, but it's not going to go sell 10 million more units on other platforms. Sea of Thieves is 6 years old. If you're going to go multiplatform might as well go big and start bringing everything. 

Sounds like they are just pussyfooting around and want to do a trial of sorts to see the results, which is the worse possible choice. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

8 minutes ago, Dodger said:

The second they port anything to Nintendo or Playstation that isn't COD or Minecraft, even if it's fucking Redfall only it does massive damage to the brand. Porting over a few select titles also doesn't move the needle, certainly not enough to offset the damage it will do. Hi Fi Rush is a great game and all, but it's not going to go sell 10 million more units on other platforms. Sea of Thieves is 6 years old. If you're going to go multiplatform might as well go big and start bringing everything. 

Sounds like they are just pussyfooting around and want to do a trial of sorts to see the results, which is the worse possible choice. 

I would qualify that stuff like Ori and Cuphead on Switch didn’t do massive damage, because people still see that as indie in some form.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I would qualify that stuff like Ori and Cuphead on Switch didn’t do massive damage, because people still see that as indie in some form.

Those are different though, they weren't developed by first party studios and there was a whole saga behind the Ori games. Something about the developers being dicks and if I remember right the studio head wanted the game pass money but also wanted the games to be multiplatform. 

Yup, the "red line" (very dramatic) will be recognizable 1st party titles. Once those start shipping on PS5, the game changes. I think MS is banking on a streaming eventually being the main platform for gaming, and so to not lose money in the meanwhile, they will release titles on any platform that they make sense to release on to max their return. The goal being to keep the Game Pass brand alive and at the front of the curve. The problem is, a robust steaming gaming is always "just around the corner". The tech demands for a truly good streaming service are always a moving target (upward) due to advances in competing delivery models, AKA "local clients". "Pretty decent" will not get gamers and the masses streaming their games. 

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I guess I'm just a bit more sanguine about this entire situation vis-a-vis its potential overall impact on the Xbox than I probably should be! :p

I suspect that you, like I, am too old for this shit! :p

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I guess I'm just a bit more sanguine about this entire situation vis-a-vis its potential overall impact on the Xbox than I probably should be! :p

yeah, I mean overall I’m not that out out if all exclusives end up in PS and or Nintendo. I am not a fan of exclusivity anyways, except to see console troll cry about it. Really I’d like everyone to be able to play everything on whatever platform they want so I can play anything on whatever platform I want. 

I do wish Xbox would keep it a 3 console race, but … well, they’re barely in the race as it is. There’s signs that Sony still responds to MS to prevent Xbox from looking like too good of a deal compared to PS. I’m sure without Xbox in the mix Sony would quickly do away all digital services with 1 exception of paying for PSN to play online games. All XBL Gold or Gamepass like offerings and benefits would vanish, because they want you to just buy the games. without Xbox and Gamepass I see Sony locking down their entire ecosystem, up to and including no more PC ports.  

31 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

the real too old moment was seeing yesterday that "xbox influencers" are mad over whatever the fuck this is and "dropping" MS  LMAO

I gotta admit that this is absolutely superb content (and remember, EVERYTHING is content now!)

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Claims that Xbox exclusives could be coming to PS5 have led to a community…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I do wish Xbox would keep it a 3 console race, but … well, they’re barely in the race as it is. There’s signs that Sony still responds to MS to prevent Xbox from looking like too good of a deal compared to PS. I’m sure without Xbox in the mix Sony would quickly do away all digital services with 1 exception of paying for PSN to play online games. All XBL Gold or Gamepass like offerings and benefits would vanish, because they want you to just buy the games. without Xbox and Gamepass I see Sony locking down their entire ecosystem, up to and including no more PC ports.  

Have you seen PS Plus prices lately?  They don’t have to abandon the model.  They can always upcharge.  And they’ve learned people will still pay full launch price for many of their games regardless of a delayed subscription launch.  Like copying Xbox Live, it’ll just become another way they can make more money.

This why we need more direct competition.  I fully believe Microsoft could compete on normal terms in the next-generation if they weren’t so intent on breaking the confidence in their boxes.

I would never be happier to see Valve disrupt the market.  Not because it’d be direct competition, but because an open platform console with free online and all the games would have a lot going for it right now.  That’s how Sony gets checked if Microsoft sidelines their competitive goals.