~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My Guess:

As part of the business case for the acquisition of Bethesda, they included a number of aggressive assumptions on GamePass growth  to justify the acquisition.  Those haven't come to pass.  They probably have someone in Finance at MS corporate freaking out, that they are completely missing their revenue targets -- particularly give the cost of the ABK purchase.

So...  Strategy is changing.  Will it be a good strategy?  Probably not, this is MS who has completely botched everything over the last 2 gens.

Some less credible rumors out there suggest Microsoft won't be putting CoD on Games Pass after all, because of the money that leaves on the table.  Could just be noise.

Sea of Thieves was pretty understandable, but these would obviously be a complete strategy shift.

I've thought MS didn't really want to be in the gaming console business since the OG XBox, but the nature of the market has meant they need to keep their own hardware. Until they can put Gamepass and / or a MS games store on the Playstation / Nintendo, it seems like the necessity of the Xbox hardware remains.

I understand MS needing to recoup more dev costs by putting out games on multiple platforms, but sacrificing exclusivity on their biggest games is still a shock.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Sea of Thieves was pretty understandable, but these would obviously be a complete strategy shift.

I've thought MS didn't really want to be in the gaming console business since the OG XBox, but the nature of the market has meant they need to keep their own hardware. Until they can put Gamepass and / or a MS games store on the Playstation / Nintendo, it seems like the necessity of the Xbox hardware remains.

I understand MS needing to recoup more dev costs by putting out games on multiple platforms, but sacrificing exclusivity on their biggest games is still a shock.

I would think that the need for Game Pass goes with the hardware. Without hardware, and now with a large stable of developers with highly successful IPs, MS could, and likely should, kill Xbox hardware and game pass (by kill I mean phase out by the end of this generation) and sell their titles at full MSRP across all viable platforms on a title by title basis. I'm not saying that as a gamer mind you, I'm saying that as the guy who has to count beans for the Xbox gaming division. 

• True 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think the point would still stand though, Halo today doesn’t mean what it did when Halo 3 released, so if it came to playstation now it wouldn’t be nearly as big of a deal compared to if it happened back then.

As big as it was in 2007 and 2010? Probably not. But the franchise has a niche among FPS games. It’s not COD nor a hero shooter. It could grab several hundred thousand players and add them to the overall PC and Xbox numbers of people still playing various Halo titles. 

23 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

They have/had every opportunity to become the market leader if they stopped trying to act so altruistic to the medium and put their console owners first.

They came remarkably close in the 360 era, without Activision, Blizzard or Bethesda.  If they truly leveraged those companies to regain market share, they could have their cake and eat it too.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I would think that the need for Game Pass goes with the hardware. Without hardware, and now with a large stable of developers with highly successful IPs, MS could, and likely should, kill Xbox hardware and game pass (by kill I mean phase out by the end of this generation) and sell their titles at full MSRP across all viable platforms on a title by title basis. I'm not saying that as a gamer mind you, I'm saying that as the guy who has to count beans for the Xbox gaming division. 

I don't think they'd need to phase out Games Pass entirely.  It could be their Ubisoft+ if anything in this scenario.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

I don't think they'd need to phase out Games Pass entirely.  It could be their Ubisoft+ if anything in this scenario.

But will Sony or Nintendo allow Game Pass on their platforms and would it make sense as a business model for MS if the logical response to shipping your big exclusives on other platforms is stalled hardware sales on your primary platform? I can't see them keeping Game Pass in its current form if PC/Xbox is the only platform its on. Its already not sustainable, and the price of game development is largely rising. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But will Sony or Nintendo allow Game Pass on their platforms and would it make sense as a business model for MS if the logical response to shipping your big exclusives on other platforms is stalled hardware sales on your primary platform? I can't see them keeping Game Pass in its current form if PC/Xbox is the only platform its on. Its already not sustainable, and the price of game development is largely rising. 

You mentioned them dropping their console hardware ambitions.  Without a competing console, I could see Sony allowing for it.  Microsoft would probably have to price hike to account for royalties and the size of their studios.  (which is why people laugh at Ubisoft+)  Maybe even split off CoD into its own subscription.

Nintendo, no way.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

You mentioned them dropping their console hardware ambitions.  Without a competing console, I could see Sony allowing for it. They'd probably have to price hike to account for royalties and the size of their studios.  (which is why people laugh at Ubisoft+)

Nintendo, no way.

Yeah, I can see that. 100% agreed Nintendo will not get on board. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

No

It's wrong for one thing. Console gamers had cut their teeth on Goldenye long before Halo was even a thing. In fact I would argue that if it wasn't for Goldeneye, Halo may not have had the same impact that it did when it came out. A lot of folks who played Goldeneye in Junior High, High school and college were old enough to get Xboxes when Halo came out and THAT'S what propelled that game to being as popular as it was. Timing was perfect considering where the gaming public was at the time.

• True 1

The 343 Halo games are pretty abysmal overall, and the franchise doesn't have an ounce of the cache that it did in its heyday.  But to write it off entirely doesn't make any sense.  Halo 2 revolutionized online multiplayer gaming on console, and 3 was the largest entertainment product launch of all time.  And the games are phenomenal.

They might not do anything differently to PC games if you don't have an Xbox, have never played Halo, and live in the year 2002.

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

We're listening and we hear you. We've been planning a business update event for next week, where we look forward to sharing more details with you about our vision for the future of Xbox. Stay tuned.

Phil Spencer tweet. Business update should be for investors. Not fans. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update (02/05): Phil has spoken

So what are we taking bets on? 

first party titles will be timed exclusives to Xbox Gamepass. 

MS arranged a hostage negotiation and Xbox will get FFVII Remake in exchange for every exclusive MS has. 

All MS titles will release day and date on PS too and any Xbox owner that wishes to sell/trade in their Xbox towards a PS5 will get a voucher for 1 game from their Xbox library to redeem and get for their PS5 library. Your welcome. 

MS is buying Sega. Rebranding in Japan as the Dreamcast 2. 

I’m not understanding why Microsoft bought Activision and Bethesda only to turn around and do this? Couldn’t they have saved billions if they weren’t going to bring COD and Elder Scrolls exclusively to their console? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Console Game Pass will remain an Xbox hardware exclusive.

Yes, selling people on a box in order to pay for a subscription.

This thread exists as a result of their failures in doing so thus far.  CoD is going to have to do the legwork.

The extent to which Microsoft’s communication and marketing around the Xbox platform has been absolutely dogshit since they started hawking the One is remarkable. It’s close to half the amount of time the Xbox brand has existed. It’s unbelievable.

• True 1

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So what are we taking bets on? 

first party titles will be timed exclusives to Xbox Gamepass. 

MS arranged a hostage negotiation and Xbox will get FFVII Remake in exchange for every exclusive MS has. 

All MS titles will release day and date on PS too and any Xbox owner that wishes to sell/trade in their Xbox towards a PS5 will get a voucher for 1 game from their Xbox library to redeem and get for their PS5 library. Your welcome. 

MS is buying Sega. Rebranding in Japan as the Dreamcast 2. 

If sure bets are allowed… PS5 Pro’s price tag will be exceedingly stupid, arrogant Sony strikes again.

• True 1

XBOX mid/next-gen refresh still happening…? High-end Series X refresh coming, but the Series S refresh might be a… dockable handheld??? 

WWW.ALTCHAR.COM

A next-gen Xbox console is on track to launch in 2026 according to rumours. Apparently, Microsoft are planning to release two devices - a traditional high-end console and a dockable Switch-like...

• Shocked 2

10 hours ago, Biggie said:

I’m not understanding why Microsoft bought Activision and Bethesda only to turn around and do this? Couldn’t they have saved billions if they weren’t going to bring COD and Elder Scrolls exclusively to their console? 

I feel like from the start, MS would know how many gamers they would be losing by making all these games exclusive to one console. The generation already started. Millions of people were already in the PlayStation ecosystem. Maybe this was the plan from the start.  Get a years worth of news headlines saying all these games are exclusive to Xbox. Then transition people to the idea that they are timed exclusives. Capitalize on all of the gamers and YouTube/Twitch streamers that want to have the games day one exclusive on Xbox.  Fear of missing out and such. Then when the game is old and forgotten about months later, you get the PS release to boost sales numbers and get everybody talking about the game again. Marketing wise the game gets to have 2 releases to pop up in the news. Could be worth their billions that they spent.