~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Who's your inside marketing source that gives you insight into what Sony does or doesn't think?

There's no inside baseball when they've been transparent about the reasoning.  It was to improve margins on their games.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Microsoft has made lots of claims about what they think will happen 5-10 years down the road that haven't come true.

At one point they felt that game machines would be the centre of our living room and be multimedia centres.  They thought motion gaming would be the future.  They thought we would all be gaming from the cloud by now.  [To be fair, failed prognostication is pretty common among tech companies.]

Yes but we also have the head of Sony stating they will focus on multiplatform releases. And this isn't a technology issue where maybe some tech they are banking on doesn't pan out, it's business model updates. 

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

There's no inside baseball when they've been transparent about the reasoning.  It was to improve margins on their games.

And Xbox has been transparent on their intentions.  Then want to bring more games to more gamers, and bring more gamers into the Xbox ecosystem.

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

And Xbox has been transparent on their intentions.  Then want to bring more games to more gamers, and bring more gamers into the Xbox ecosystem.

And the latter is the thing Sony has never implied about their porting policy.  To quote Jim from the past:

“We find ourselves now in early 2021 with our development studios and the games that they make in better shape than they’ve ever been before. Particularly from the latter half of the PS4 cycle our studios made some wonderful, great games.'

“There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward. The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved."

“Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make.”

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

PlayStation PC label registration is seemingly another sign Sony intends to take PC…

Just now, Dodger said:

Yes but we also have the head of Sony stating they will focus on multiplatform releases. And this isn't a technology issue where maybe some tech they are banking on doesn't pan out, it's business model updates. 

Sony hasn't said anything about other consoles.  Multiplatform doesn't necessarily mean Sony releasing on Xbox or vice versa.

Sony and MS are in the business #1 of selling monthly subscriptions, #2 30% margins on 3rd party games and #3 selling software.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You brought up Sony with respect to what Xbox was doing.  I didn't.

Yes, I did, to show illustrate what Microsoft is saying here is a different logic without evidence to support it.

Phil has a dream that with more exposure on other platforms, more gamers will migrate, and the bigger Games Pass can grow.  It's certainly a theory.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm not sure this sentence even means anything.

It means there is no evidence to support this method of brand exposure leading to gamers switching platforms, or growing a subscription.

It'd be like if Sega ported the NFL2K series to PS2 and banked on it pushing Dreamcast sales.  Okay, maybe not to that extreme, but you should get the picture.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

It means there is no evidence to support brand exposure leading to gamers switching platforms.

It'd be like if Sega ported the NFL2K series to PS2 and banked on it pushing Dreamcast sales.  Okay, maybe not to that extreme, but you should get the picture.

I never said switching -- lots of evidence of people owning both.  Lots of people on D1P do as well.

Increasing peoples exposure to your older games, makes them more likely to want to play the new ones when they are released.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I never said switching -- lots of evidence of people owning both.  Lots of people on D1P do as well.

Increasing peoples exposure to your older games, makes them more likely to want to play the new ones when they are released.

Okay then, buying a second $500 console so you don't have to wait a year to play certain games.

Buying a second high-end console already made less and less sense with both Microsoft and Sony's PC port policies.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Buying a second console already made less and less sense with both Microsoft and Sony's PC port policies.

Fixed.

Hasn't stopped lots of people doing it.

I know of people who have multiple PC handhelds, a gaming laptop and a gaming PC.  Gamers buy lots of hardware.  And lots of them want to play their games Day #1.

My Series X is my main entertainment unit for all my streaming needs in my bedroom. Just easier for sound/video to use on either my tv or projector/Atmos setup. My Oppo is the only real standalone unit I have in my room for my imports/4K viewing. Which again I could do mostly through my Series X or PS5. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Plenty of people have both. My nieces and nephews use game consoles pretty much for everything BUT gaming... mostly to watch Netflix and Youtube on when they're not on their phones.

I pretty much run everything from my Xbox. Watch youtube and twitch on there, watch amazon and netflix on there, run Plex off of it. I'd use the giant bomb app back when it wasn't broken. I probably would watch Viki if it actually worked on the Edge browser on the Xbox.

Hell, back in the Xbone days I was one of those :sickos:that used the cable TV passthru

I do have smart TV but I've never liked running much off of it and in my experience the apps don't get updated as often.

• Like 1
  • True 1

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Fixed.

Hasn't stopped lots of people doing it.

I know of people who have multiple PC handhelds, a gaming laptop and a gaming PC.  Gamers buy lots of hardware.  And lots of them want to play their games Day #1.

This is part of their cross-buy argument.  You already have a PC, you can buy an Xbox for your living room, subscribe to Games Pass and play games on both.  Or vice versa if you get into PC gaming.

It's not a winning strategy, or at least, it hasn't borne out to be thus far.  There aren't many gamers with cash to burn on every device, most of us have to pick and choose.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Phil is literally engaging in "executive port begging" :rofl:

It's in line with his approach in the past:

Change your own company policy to something beneficial to consumers, then publicly ask why your competitor hasn't followed suit yet.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:10 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Microsoft is starting out small but has big ambitions.

you know, what he says is true about less and less games being exclusive to one platform. But that doesnt mean Sony titles on Xbox. PC will be the beneficiary of this. 

…but even in a future where every MS title and Sony title are also on PC, every Nintendo title will only be on Nintendo platforms. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

you know, what he says is true about less and less games being exclusive to one platform. But that doesnt mean Sony titles on Xbox. PC will be the beneficiary of this. 

…but even in a future where every MS title and Sony title are also on PC, every Nintendo title will only be on Nintendo platforms. 

What more does PC stand to benefit?  All the games but Nintendo’s already come there.

10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

What more does PC stand to benefit?  All the games but Nintendo’s already come there.

From MS yes, but not Sony, yet. There are still games Sony hasnt even announced for PC, and who knows if it will even happen. Like  Ghosts of Tsushima. Sony paid to keep Rise of the Ronin PS exclusive. Not their own title per se, but theres that mindset of locking titles to their platform. 

What more does PC stand to benefit? More titles that are currently exclusive to the Sony platform. The chances of them on PC are infinitely higher than them going to Xbox. 

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

From MS yes, but not Sony, yet. There are still games Sony hasnt even announced for PC, and who knows if it will even happen. Like  Ghosts of Tsushima. Sony paid to keep Rise of the Ronin PS exclusive. Not their own title per se, but theres that mindset of locking titles to their platform. 

What more does PC stand to benefit? More titles that are currently exclusive to the Sony platform. The chances of them on PC are infinitely higher than them going to Xbox. 

I think of back porting before these PC policies changed as something different.  On Microsoft's end, I'd love to play Lost Odyssey on PC personally, but would need to resort to emulation.  And I get it.  Though I do expect more older Sony games to come, since there's a more substantive back catalog left, but it'd happen mostly through the likes of Nixxes and such when they catch a breather.

Future games, I expect pretty much everything Sony releases to come to PC at some point.  Things are already looking great if you have the patience to wait a bit.  Nothing is likely to stay only on PS5.

Phil's comments on the 5 to 10 year thing are more of what he'd hope to see going forward.  If he's right, it'd probably be because Valve enters the ring in a meaningful way, which would make withholding any franchise from a rival console in a permanent way hypocritical.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"