~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Microsoft is starting out small but has big ambitions.

It’s official: Microsoft is bringing some Xbox-exclusive games to PS5 and Nintendo Switch. It’s part of a broader strategy shift inside Microsoft’s gaming business to grow games beyond just the company’s Xbox consoles.

“We’ve made the decision that we’re going to take four games to the other consoles,” reveals Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer on the official Xbox podcast. Bizarrely, Microsoft is refusing to name the four titles, but the company says that two are community-driven games and the other two are smaller titles.

Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell me the first two titles will be Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, followed by Sea of Thieves and Grounded. Spencer claims there hasn’t been a change to the company doing Xbox exclusives, yet, at the same time, he also thinks there will be fewer console exclusives across the industry over the next decade.

“I do have a fundamental belief that over the next five or ten years exclusive games, games that are exclusive to one piece of hardware, are going to be a smaller and smaller part of the game industry,” says Spencer on the Xbox podcast.

You mentioned that Starfield and Indiana Jones aren’t part of the four despite rumors, but will those ever come to PS5? Can you rule that out?

I don’t think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform. We’re focused on these four games and learning from the experience.

But I don’t want to create a false expectation on those other platforms that this is somehow the first four to get over the dam and then the dam’s going to open and that everything else is coming, that’s not the plan today. I also don’t want to mislead customers on those other platforms. We’re launching these four games, and we’re excited about it. We’re excited about the announce and everything else, but we’ll see what happens for our business.

"For now"

• True 1

So like I’ve been saying, this is a pilot program to test the roi to see if they want to release additional titles multi platform in the future. Because let’s face it, the few million in additional revenue these particular games will generate just isn’t material to MS. They’re going to need more to make the kind of money they are looking to make. It absolutely will not stop at 4.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Microsoft might be teasing an Xbox handheld.

Microsoft is teasing the potential for unique Xbox hardware in the future and a powerful next-gen console. Four previously exclusive Xbox games are officially coming to the PS5 and Nintendo Switch soon, and Microsoft wants to reassure Xbox fans that it’s still very much invested in the future of its platform and hardware.

In an official Xbox podcast today, Xbox president Sarah Bond teased that Microsoft will deliver “the largest technical leap” with the next-generation Xbox:

We’ve got more to come. There’s some exciting stuff coming out in hardware that we’re going to share this holiday. We’re also invested in the next-generation roadmap. What we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.

Speaking to The Verge, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer went a step further, teasing that the Xbox hardware teams are thinking about building different kinds of hardware. “I’m very proud of the work that the hardware team is doing, not only for this year, but also into the future,” says Spencer. “[We’re] really thinking about creating hardware that sells to gamers because of the unique aspects of the hardware. It’s kind of an unleashing of the creative capability of our hardware team that I’m really excited about.”

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"For now"

By saying that the damn isn't breaking, we know the fissures are there.  Especially with his vision of the industry 5 to 10 years from now involving less exclusives.

Sell a handheld ala Switch as the base. Then sell a dock with a GPU in it for those who want to play on TV. Instead of a closed Xbox ecosystem, have a new Windows hybrid OS. When you boot, it looks exactly like Xbox and plays just like a console.  Has your friends lists, achievements, etc.  Then have a secondary option to leave the Xbox ecosystem and access Windows and other window applications.  If you don’t want to make the hardware, here is where you can open it up to ASUS, Lenovo, and others. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I don't care about the 4 games being sent to PS5 nor should anyone else care. This was a big waste of time. 

35 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why do people give a fuck if those go to PS5/Switch?

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They could have tweeted a week ago:

"We have no plans to release Starfield on other consoles.  However, we plan to release 4 catalog titles on other platforms later this year."

And that would have been enough.

Misses the point.  People were freaking out because this is a change in strategy.  They can choose to tell us they're only testing the waters, but they're still opening Pandora's box by bringing former console exclusives to PS5.

On that note, Phil did it again here by saying being "over a year old" is one of his criteria.  There's going to be a lot of port begging, even as games are announced.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Misses the point.  People were freaking out because this is a change in strategy.  They can choose to tell us they're only testing the waters, but still they're opening Pandora's box by bringing former console exclusives to PS5.

On that note, Phil did it again here by saying being "over a year old" is one of his criteria.  There's going to be a lot of port begging, even as games are announced.

If you want to build excitement for new Xbox exclusives, and to try and convince non-Xbox players to want them on launch.  You let them to play the old games.

It's a really common marketing strategy -- it's why prequels go on sale shortly before a new game launch.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you want to build excitement for new Xbox exclusives, and to try and convince non-Xbox players to want them on launch.  You let them to play the old games.

It's a really common marketing strategy -- it's why prequels go on sale shortly before a new game launch.

So you're telling me PC gamers are rushing out to buy PS5's, now that they had a taste of old Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War?

Nope, not buying it.  People have their reasons for choosing one system over another, and a year's wait on certain games is hardly a dealbreaker for someone not invested in a particular ecosystem in the first place.

I only think this works if cloud gaming takes off in a meaningful way, and thus, the (mental) barrier to entry is removed.

• True 1

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Aren’t most new releases in terms of consoles essentially “the most powerful” ever?

Yes. This is pure hype for Microsoft because they honestly don't know what to do with themselves at this point. 

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It is a non-zero number.

For it to be a good marketing strategy, it has to do better than 'not nothing.'

I don't think Sony ever hedged their bets on PC-only gamers to migrating to console after exposure to their franchises.

32 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Wow -- I wonder if this was a leak from Marketing in Xbox to hype up this podcast.  There was no real news here that anyone should care about.  Let alone throw man baby tantrums about on the internet.

Well they confirmed that 4 titles are going multiplatform and then spent most of the rest of the time basically stating that in 5-10 the industry will be shifted in a place to where there are fewer exclusives. Then we got the Sony boss talking about bringing more games multi platform with people trying to pretend that just means more PC releases.

I bet you will be able to pay Elder Scrolls VI on a PS6, and Spider Man 3 on the Series Next. But we're also 5+ years away from that. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Well they confirmed that 4 titles are going multiplatform and then spent most of the rest of the time basically stating that in 5-10 the industry will be shifted in a place to where there are fewer exclusives. Then we got the Sony boss talking about bringing more games multi platform with people trying to pretend that just means more PC releases.

I bet you will be able to pay Elder Scrolls VI on a PS6, and Spider Man 3 on the Series Next. But we're also 5+ years away from that. 

Microsoft has made lots of claims about what they think will happen 5-10 years down the road that haven't come true.

At one point they felt that game machines would be the centre of our living room and be multimedia centres.  They thought motion gaming would be the future.  They thought we would all be gaming from the cloud by now.  [To be fair, failed prognostication is pretty common among tech companies.]

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes. This is pure hype for Microsoft because they honestly don't know what to do with themselves at this point. 

I feel bad for the MS team cuz I’m sure they have a plan they want to execute but they get pulled in 10 different directions due to the size of the overall company.