~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"

I plan on doing PC, PC handheld, and Switch 2. I mainly play handheld these days. Consoles at this point have turned into streaming boxes. I’ll probably get an Apple TV or similar device once I make the switch. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

22 minutes ago, Brian said:

I plan on doing PC, PC handheld, and Switch 2. I mainly play handheld these days. Consoles at this point have turned into streaming boxes. I’ll probably get an Apple TV or similar device once I make the switch. 

You just use moonlight for streaming to your room and you are set!

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Sure, they’re overreacting.  But I don’t think it’s wrong to be mad if you bought a Series console to not miss out on Bethesda games.  And you would have gotten a PS5 instead if you only knew.

Starfield was the first tangible example of Microsoft leveraging an AAA acquisition to prop up their consoles’ appeal.

I think you are granting the maximum amount of slack to a hypothetical person who may or may not exist :p

I would feel the mildest of sympathies for a person who was some kind of Bethesda super fan who would still have access to all of those games they bought the console for but maybe missed out on a couple games on ps5 due to their Bethesda fandom and therefore maybe possibly coulda had both but we actually don’t even know that for sure… yes. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I think you are granting the maximum amount of slack to a hypothetical person who may or may not exist :p

I would feel the mildest of sympathies for a person who was some kind of Bethesda super fan who would still have access to all of those games they bought the console for but maybe missed out on a couple games on ps5 due to their Bethesda fandom and therefore maybe possibly coulda had both but we actually don’t even know that for sure… yes. 

I don’t think you need to be a Bethesda super fan to consider Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, etc, important franchises that can influence a console purchase decision.  Certainly more than the other acquisitions Phil made prior.  It’s not worth playing them or their fans down any more than a Capcom or SquareEnix acquisition.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, you’re only missing out on a couple notable franchises if you don’t have Sony 1st party.  It’s more the general lack of fight for the Xbox console ecosystem that’s causing these fanboys to revolt.  But even beyond them, this move doesn't really benefit the average Xbox owner.  Microsoft is a huge corporation who bought Activision Blizzard, makes more money now that they do, and it's suddenly unsustainable for them to compete?

Even if people aren't mad about it, per say, it makes Microsoft's case for the next machine tougher to make.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think you need to be a Bethesda super fan to consider Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, etc, important franchises that can influence a console purchase decision.  Certainly more than the other acquisitions Phil made prior.  It’s not worth playing them or their fans down any more than a Capcom or SquareEnix acquisition.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, you’re only missing out on a couple notable franchises if you don’t have Sony 1st party.  It’s more the general lack of fight for the Xbox console ecosystem that’s causing these fanboys to revolt.  But even beyond them, this move doesn't really benefit the average Xbox owner.  Microsoft is a huge corporation who bought Activision Blizzard, makes more money now that they do, and it's suddenly unsustainable for them to compete?

Even if people aren't mad about it, per say, it makes Microsoft's case for the next machine tougher to make.

I would just say I am reacting to specific real world people who are not in any financial disadvantageous situation who absolutely are not reacting the way that they are because of the reasons you are laying out. I don't really disagree with what you've said here, I would just say I am not seeing that person speak out in despair and while I don't doubt a few of them exist, it's probably not a significant issue. 

And I don't really see this as a lack of fight for the ecosystem or not wanting to compete or whatever. I think the people at MS are going to try to make the user experience / ecosystem as it were as great as they can, they're not going to get rid of achievements and whatnot, they still HAVE all those studios you (AKA this hypothetical person) bought the thing for. If Bethesda's games were that big of a sway to you you chose to get an Xbox over a PS5 or whatever...I really don't think anything that meaningful has changed for you and especially without broad clarification on what the plan actually is the MOST extreme you should get with your response is well let's wait and see what they have to say. 

And really this has all happened in what the last 12-18 months? I would just say to this person who wanted Bethesda games real bad but the sting of losing Sony's exclusives was pretty tough...you shoulda just gone PC at this point. 

45 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I would just say I am reacting to specific real world people who are not in any financial disadvantageous situation who absolutely are not reacting the way that they are because of the reasons you are laying out. I don't really disagree with what you've said here, I would just say I am not seeing that person speak out in despair and while I don't doubt a few of them exist, it's probably not a significant issue. 

Most people are playing CoD and sports games where their friends play, so I don’t disagree.  The people who do care about this stuff are the early adopters.

Despair is too strong of a word for most, but as I said, it could be further eroding confidence.  And the mass market isn’t immune to that, as we saw with the Xbox One.

45 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

And I don't really see this as a lack of fight for the ecosystem or not wanting to compete or whatever. I think the people at MS are going to try to make the user experience / ecosystem as it were as great as they can, they're not going to get rid of achievements and whatnot, they still HAVE all those studios you (AKA this hypothetical person) bought the thing for. If Bethesda's games were that big of a sway to you you chose to get an Xbox over a PS5 or whatever...I really don't think anything that meaningful has changed for you and especially without broad clarification on what the plan actually is the MOST extreme you should get with your response is well let's wait and see what they have to say. 

Agreed on the wait and see, although there’s still plenty to talk about now with so many journalists reporting leaks.

Few people will abandon their consoles mid gen like these influencers are.  But more would write them off in the future if this is what they offer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nublood said:

Like, I honestly think Xbox never recovered after getting their butts kicked by Sony back at E3 in 2013. lol

I've actually thought that myself. Playing catch up that long can't be good for them financially or morale wise as a company

On 2/8/2024 at 8:19 PM, nublood said:

Like, I honestly think Xbox never recovered after getting their butts kicked by Sony back at E3 in 2013. lol

Which sucks because 360 was awesome and had built up a ton of momentum that generation only to let one E3 event utterly destroy it.

On 2/10/2024 at 10:28 PM, 5timechamp said:

If Nintendo recovered from Cel-da, Wii-U, and specially E3 Wii Music debacle surely the mighty MS should have found a way

they recovered from Cel-da because it was a good game. Recovered from the Wii U with a better idea in the Switch, which also haa really good games, and Wii music wasn’t even a debacle as Nintendo didn’t hinge the company’s entire reputation on this one title after a decade of misses and gamers looking at an uncertain future. Was it questionable to have such a big part of their E3 presentation around it. Sure. Id say the year Pacman Vs was their big show title was a worst E3 by far. 

If this is true about more Xbox consoles being made this kind sucks and doesn't. On one hand having competition in the console market is a great thing for consumers but now I might be forced to buy one. Unless every exclusive comes to pc right away. Is that how it goes now? I don't follow pc. 

41 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

they recovered from Cel-da because it was a good game. Recovered from the Wii U with a better idea in the Switch, which also haa really good games, and Wii music wasn’t even a debacle as Nintendo didn’t hinge the company’s entire reputation on this one title after a decade of misses and gamers looking at an uncertain future. Was it questionable to have such a big part of their E3 presentation around it. Sure. Id say the year Pacman Vs was their big show title was a worst E3 by far. 

Switch had a stellar first year line-up and a game-of-the-generation caliber launch title.  And no more divided handheld and console divisions.  They doubled down on everything they had the potential to do, and the masses bought into it, in spite of the Wii U selling slower than the Dreamcast, and their games being perpetually $40-60.

Microsoft has similar potential now after these acquisitions, IMO, and not nearly as tough of a hill to climb.  I don't think it's in their nature to do what Nintendo did though, they'll want to find a different path.

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If this is true about more Xbox consoles being made this kind sucks and doesn't. On one hand having competition in the console market is a great thing for consumers but now I might be forced to buy one. Unless every exclusive comes to pc right away. Is that how it goes now? I don't follow pc. 

They all come to PC day 1. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Switch had a stellar first year line-up and a game-of-the-generation caliber launch title.  And no more divided handheld and console divisions.  They doubled down on everything they had the potential to do, and the masses bought into it, in spite of the Wii U selling slower than the Dreamcast, and their games being perpetually $40-60.

Microsoft has similar potential now after these acquisitions, IMO, and not nearly as tough of a hill to climb.  I don't think it's in their nature to do what Nintendo did though, they'll want to find a different path.

No denying the Switch has dine very well. I think consumers want Nintendo to do well and have a good product. So long as they know its a new product. 

MS on the otherhand isnt making any headway in regards to console marketshare. Gamepass’s value proposition isnt moving the needle much either. So their hardware isnt special and their service feels like a quantity over quality, as though the games are releases expecting to be shit for a year. MS doesnt look to be willing or capable to fix either, and if they dont releasing their games on PS wont make their console division any stronger or more competitive. MS needs to come up with a reason to make Xbox consoles desirable, because right bow the market is telling them theyre not. 

not matter how much Sony fucks people over or looks like they cant wait to fuck people over, theyve got the good will. If MS really wants to stay in console hardware, they need to find something to turn all this around. I dont think there is any really long term plan for Xbox branded consoles. 

35 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

No denying the Switch has dine very well. I think consumers want Nintendo to do well and have a good product. So long as they know its a new product. 

I don't think the Wii U's downfall was ultimately the branding.  I think the product was unappealing and felt shortsighted, *New* 2D Mario wasn't a draw, and the rest of the games took way too long to come out.  Unlike Microsoft, Nintendo can't just release console hardware prematurely, before the games are ready, and still find themselves on track to sell 30+ million in a generation.

MS on the otherhand isnt making any headway in regards to console marketshare. Gamepass’s value proposition isnt moving the needle much either.

If they came out with a few more bangers in the launch window/year, I don't think Gamepass growth (and hardware sales) would be stagnating.  Ultimately, they have themselves to blame for not being prepared to make a case relative to Sony's efforts.

With console transitions, it really is a sprint, not a marathon.  The library compounds from there, and the narrative is mostly set.

They have that much in common with the Wii U this gen.  But the Series consoles will still outsell it handily, in part because of Games Pass.

MS doesnt look to be willing or capable to fix either, and if they dont releasing their games on PS wont make their console division any stronger or more competitive.

You don't get to dump a cool $68 billion into a competitive investment and say you must depend on your competition.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "Very Special Edition" of the Official Xbox Podcast set for 02/15 @ 1200 Pacific/1500 Eastern

Im still running on the assumption that MS is looking at consoles in the short term. At least for them continuing to have one. They just dont want to say it now. They dont seem bothered that Europe and UK just dont care about Xbox consoles and seem to cars less and less as the years go on. Xbox consoles are just a stop gap until MS can be 100% digital and streaming. Which they likely see being possible in roughly 10 years. 

they dont want it to seem like theyve abandoned the console yet, but theyre not looking to rise again in the console market like they did in the Xbox 360 days. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Im still running on the assumption that MS is looking at consoles in the short term. At least for them continuing to have one. They just dont want to say it now. They dont seem bothered that Europe and UK just dont care about Xbox consoles and seem to cars less and less as the years go on. Xbox consoles are just a stop gap until MS can be 100% digital and streaming. Which they likely see being possible in roughly 10 years. 

they dont want it to seem like theyve abandoned the console yet, but theyre not looking to rise again in the console market like they did in the Xbox 360 days. 

I don't know if this is a reasonable assumption, but its a reasonable assumption of MS's assumption! :p

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That could be the case.  But there's also so much money to be lost on not owning the storefront people use to access their games.

They've utterly failed at that on PC, felt blocked out of mobile after Windows phones bombed, and understand cloud won't be a cornerstone for gaming for the foreseeable future.

Console is a form of diversification they can at least be reasonably successful at.  So I don't think Phil has any plans to drop living room hardware, but would go there if market forces dictate it.  It's about being in prime position for a cloud future, if things go that way.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Some Xbox games are coming to PS5 and Switch.

“It feels like we are likely to go through a gap of almost 16 months between big exclusive launches on our platform,” said Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in an internal email to Xbox leaders in May 2022, revealed in the FTC v. Microsoft case. “This is really a disaster situation for us given all we’ve invested in content across studios at our [Game Pass] content fund.”

In the months since, Microsoft hasn’t provided any update on subscriber numbers to investors. It’s been more than two years since the 25 million figure was announced alongside the company’s Activision Blizzard acquisition, and some analysts estimate Microsoft is only at around 33 million subscribers.

If accurate, that’s around 33 percent growth in two years. Microsoft targeted a 73 percent growth rate for Game Pass subscriptions for a single fiscal year that ended in June 2022, but only managed 28 percent. The company then dropped Xbox Game Pass growth as a target for Satya Nadella’s executive compensation last year, after first exceeding its ambitious Game Pass internal targets in 2020 and then failing to meet compensation targets for two years in a row.

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Some Xbox games are coming to PS5 and Switch.

An Xbox Game Pass slowdown might be why I’m hearing that a number of Xbox exclusives are coming to consoles with which Microsoft usually competes. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is getting ready to launch a select number of Xbox games on PS5 and Nintendo Switch. Weeks of rumors suggest that Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and even Bethesda titles like Starfield and Indiana Jones could appear on non-Xbox platforms.

The first two games that are set to appear on rival consoles are Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment, according to sources. Microsoft is also currently planning to launch Sea of Thieves on non-Xbox platforms later this year, with other first-party titles also under consideration.

In the months since, Microsoft hasn’t provided any update on subscriber numbers to investors. It’s been more than two years since the 25 million figure was announced alongside the company’s Activision Blizzard acquisition, and some analysts estimate Microsoft is only at around 33 million subscribers.

If accurate, that’s around 33 percent growth in two years. Microsoft targeted a 73 percent growth rate for Game Pass subscriptions for a single fiscal year that ended in June 2022, but only managed 28 percent. The company then dropped Xbox Game Pass growth as a target for Satya Nadella’s executive compensation last year, after first exceeding its ambitious Game Pass internal targets in 2020 and then failing to meet compensation targets for two years in a row.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

GGJ4slBaQAAVIfk?format=jpg&name=small

So people were expecting something monday and all we get is an invite to a thursday podcast? lol 

way to get out in front and control the messaging MS. Tells me they need a lot of time to finely polish the message “theres no reason to buy an xbox”. haha 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So people were expecting something monday and all we get is an invite to a thursday podcast? lol 

way to get out in front and control the messaging MS. Tells me they need a lot of time to finely polish the message “theres no reason to buy an xbox”. haha 

Oh, I'm sure they spent the weekend debating which day of the week seemed least "reactive" and conveys an air of intent. That day, fair citizens of videogame land, is apparently THURSDAY!:sun:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

People are making a LOT of assumptions about what will be said on Thursday.

That said, there are some people who see value in GamePass (I, personally, don't) -- so that might be a reason for some to buy an Xbox.

You don't go through all of this to just say the rumors are false it's business as usual. I expect at least a handful of titles to be announced as MP, at a minimum it's a pilot to see what the ROI is. Whether or not it's some full on third party announcement and changes to GP might be too much but it definitely appears some games are coming to other platforms. 

Guess I'm the bad guy for getting years of free games pass through their rewards program, though I do still buy games all digital. Based off what gets announced though it's either back to Sony or just bite the bullet and gaming PC. 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

You don't go through all of this to just say the rumors are false it's business as usual. I expect at least a handful of titles to be announced as MP, at a minimum it's a pilot to see what the ROI is. Whether or not it's some full on third party announcement and changes to GP might be too much but it definitely appears some games are coming to other platforms. 

Guess I'm the bad guy for getting years of free games pass through their rewards program, though I do still buy games all digital. Based off what gets announced though it's either back to Sony or just bite the bullet and gaming PC. 

Which games? All of them, or only Bethesda games?  Is there an exclusive period?