[update] Donald Trump is back on Colorado’s 2024 primary ballot while state GOP appeals

Jason

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They are absolutely going to overturn it because the 14th Amendment has no bearing on a primary vote run by a private organization (the Republican Party).

1. Does SCOTUS have jurisdiction over a primary elections where private organizations pick their candidate? 

2. It would be interesting if SCOTUS rules that he can't be barred from the primary, but can be barred from the general election based on the text of the 14th Amendment.  

• True 1

36 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

1. Does SCOTUS have jurisdiction over a primary elections where private organizations pick their candidate? 

2. It would be interesting if SCOTUS rules that he can't be barred from the primary, but can be barred from the general election based on the text of the 14th Amendment.  

I can’t imagine SCOTUS going out of the way to rule he can’t be on the general unless that’s specifically brought to them. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

Politico had some articles about an effort to do this in the general election in several states. I don't think it's likely to hold up. The people want Trump back.

I think it's less about "the people" wanting Trump back (he once again has the same 47ish percent he had the previous two elections) and more Biden's unpopularity currently. Both men are at sub-50% support, which means lots of undecideds.

My feeling from what I've seen -- not saying gun to my head -- is that 2024 will hinge on Biden's popularity. Even though the economy is objectively good by so many metrics, inflation is inflation. It doesn't matter to people that ours has come down significantly quicker than just about every other developed nation, at least for now. But if people feel things are better and Biden is more popular for it, I think he would be set to win. If he's forever at 38% approval, then he doesn't.

Caveats would be all the lawsuits against Trump and the trials which are happening at times when people are more tuned into political news. I think a lot of people are missing that Trump is quoting Hitler right now, but it's not going to be silent during election season. I also met people who were wondering if they should vote and freaked the fuck out when I told them Trump wants to pardon the Jan 6 morons.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I think it's less about "the people" wanting Trump back (he once again has the same 47ish percent he had the previous two elections) and more Biden's unpopularity currently. Both men are at sub-50% support, which means lots of undecideds.

My feeling from what I've seen -- not saying gun to my head -- is that 2024 will hinge on Biden's popularity. Even though the economy is objectively good by so many metrics, inflation is inflation. It doesn't matter to people that ours has come down significantly quicker than just about every other developed nation, at least for now. But if people feel things are better and Biden is more popular for it, I think he would be set to win. If he's forever at 38% approval, then he doesn't.

Caveats would be all the lawsuits against Trump and the trials which are happening at times when people are more tuned into political news. I think a lot of people are missing that Trump is quoting Hitler right now, but it's not going to be silent during election season. I also met people who were wondering if they should vote and freaked the fuck out when I told them Trump wants to pardon the Jan 6 morons.

Most people don't know that inflation has been much worse in other countries.

• True 1

You know, I remember about 4 years ago in the lead up to the 2020 election I got a lot of scoffs from people, even some on this board, for saying that if Trump won he would almost certainly run for a third term in 2024.

People were way too confident that something like the 22nd amendment would preclude him from running again. Seeing him steamroll the 14th amendment pretty much in exactly the way that I predicted the 22nd amendment would not stop a guy with 90% support in the Republican Party is a bummer to see I was probably right all along. Wade pointing out about the amendment not applying to primaries is the exactly the point I made about the 22nd. 

And Republicans are already leaning hard on the "the voters, not judges should decide on who runs for president" is another one pretty much word for word I brought up. And once Trump wins the nomination with overwhelming support, it will be hard for any court to seemingly strike down his candidacy(again, this would be true of the 22nd as much as the 14th).

And it's not exactly a dead issue. If he wins in 2024, and he somehow makes it to 2028, I say there's a good chance he runs again.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, mark my words SCOTUS will overrule this, but also not side with Trump on the presidential immunity thing and the mainstream media will laud it as a triumph of moderation and compromise.

SCOTUS loves when Trump brings these absolute bonkers cases that even they can't side with because when they rule against him the media slobbers all over them for doing the bare minimum.

12 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

So when do GOP-controlled states rull that Biden can't be on the ballot?

One reason Im not sure I like what’s going on here, as dangerous as I think Trump is.

I can easily imagine smart authoritarians like they have in Eastern Europe coming to power and using this precedent to disqualify their most popular opponents.

Then again, that might happen anyway, precedent or no precedent.  So who knows.

• True 1

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I genuinely think some users here doom and gloom way too much.

If our friends spent as much time trying to register voters in their community as they did thinking about the worst case scenario to every event, they could take agency and not feel like a passive observer.

• Halal 1

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

Donald Trump has been removed from the Colorado ballot, but the U.S. Supreme Court may be able to save his candidacy.

In its decision, the Colorado Supreme Court quoted Neil Gorsuch, who was a Colorado judge when he blocked a presidential candidate from the state ballot in 2012. In the 2012 ruling, Gorsuch noted that the independent candidate, Abdul Hassan, was born in Guyana, which excluded him from running for president and that Colorado has the right to set its own ballot rules.

"One of the things that you'll find in this ruling is some reliance is based on writings of Neil Gorsuch -- Justice Gorsuch -- and what he had to say about protecting ballots from people who did not belong on them," Nicolais told CBS News after Tuesday's Colorado Supreme Court decision. "So I think there's actually a very good chance we can win at the U.S. Supreme Court level."

• Shocked 3

12 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

If our friends spent as much time trying to register voters in their community as they did thinking about the worst case scenario to every event, they could take agency and not feel like a passive observer.

I live in the bay, we’re good here 😂

Here's where I'm at, if anyone asks (which you shouldn't). The SCOTUS is going to do everything they can to side step this, meaning they will tell Colorado that they don't have the authority to do this but only in a way that clears them from making any grand statements about the authority of the federal government to overstep state elections. Basically they will say that because it's a primary election, the government can't step in and it will bypass the issue entirely.

Should Donald trump be barred from running for office? Maybe, but opening up that legal pandoras box isn't something I'm sure we should do, because it opens the door for any state with a supermajority to just ban people they don't like. It's fun when it's our side doing it but wait until it happens in North Carolina.

• True 2

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes?

WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

The once-esteemed magazine has been reduced to a soapbox for the far right, a new study reveals, thanks to a MAGA activist running the opinions page.

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes?

WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

The once-esteemed magazine has been reduced to a soapbox for the far right, a new study reveals, thanks to a MAGA activist running the opinions page.

This is talking about the opinions section, which has nothing to do with the link outsida posted.