NYT: Trump Made $413M From Tax Fraud

From the New York Times

President Trump participated in dubious tax schemes during the 1990s, including instances of outright fraud, that greatly increased the fortune he received from his parents, an investigation by The New York Times has found.

These maneuvers met with little resistance from the Internal Revenue Service, The Times found. The president’s parents, Fred and Mary Trump, transferred well over $1 billion in wealth to their children, which could have produced a tax bill of at least $550 million under the 55 percent tax rate then imposed on gifts and inheritances.

The Trumps paid a total of $52.2 million, or about 5 percent, tax records show.

According to tax experts, it is unlikely that Mr. Trump would be vulnerable to criminal prosecution for helping his parents evade taxes, because the acts happened too long ago and are past the statute of limitations. There is no time limit, however, on civil fines for tax fraud.

It's quite a lengthy report that I'm still reading through.

Here's another favorite:

The sale, completed in 2004, brought him his biggest payday ever from his father: His cut was $177.3 million, or $236.2 million in today’s dollars. But as it turned out, banks at the time valued the empire at hundreds of millions more than the sale price. Donald Trump, master dealmaker, had sold low.

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The president is a crook. 

His supporters won't care. They'll rationalize or ignore anything bad about the man. Which is everything.

Everyone who grew up in the tri-state area in the 70's, 80's and 90's knew this. Guys like Trump are a dime a dozen out there... he reminds me so much of my old boss it's crazy.

What was his line during the campaign about how he only got a small amount of cash from his dad to start his empire and it really wasn't a big deal? And the amount he said wasn't a big deal was something like $14 million dollars?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit. Even that was annoying and anyone with even an ounce of common sense knew it wasn't true anyway.

I don't understand how normal people can vote for a person to be in charge of them who has never had to deal with the problems of normal people. Makes no sense to me.

1 hour ago, ort said:

What was his line during the campaign about how he only got a small amount of cash from his dad to start his empire and it really wasn't a big deal? And the amount he said wasn't a big deal was something like $14 million dollars?

Get the fuck out of here with that shit. Even that was annoying and anyone with even an ounce of common sense knew it wasn't true anyway.

I don't understand how normal people can vote for a person to be in charge of them who has never had to deal with the problems of normal people. Makes no sense to me.

He said he got a small loan from his father (the small loan was a million bucks in the late 60's) but whatever.

You People Made Me Give Up My Peanut Farm Before I Got To Be President

odwp9pejbxogc3gsj9pp.jpg

For generations, U.S. presidents have gone to great lengths to avoid potential conflicts of interest. When I was elected, I followed suit by placing my small business in a blind trust to assure our citizens that I would always put the country’s interests ahead of my own. It’s a vital presidential tradition. That’s why I find it a bit curious that our new commander-in-chief has been allowed to ignore it.

For Christ’s sake, you people made me get rid of my peanut farm before you let me be president.

• Haha 4

“The theme I see here through all of this is valuations: They play around with valuations in extreme ways,” said Lee-Ford Tritt, a University of Florida law professor and a leading expert in gift and estate tax law. “There are dramatic fluctuations depending on their purpose.”

I couldn't agree more!  When I was working closely with estate and trust taxes during my public accounting career, this was the area where we walked the line between "aggressive" and "possibly illegal".

And the University of Florida's tax law program is perhaps the best in the country, right @SaysWho? and @ByWatterson?

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

“The theme I see here through all of this is valuations: They play around with valuations in extreme ways,” said Lee-Ford Tritt, a University of Florida law professor and a leading expert in gift and estate tax law. “There are dramatic fluctuations depending on their purpose.”

I couldn't agree more!  When I was working closely with estate and trust taxes during my public accounting career, this was the area where we walked the line between "aggressive" and "possibly illegal".

And the University of Florida's tax law program is perhaps the best in the country, right @SaysWho? and @ByWatterson?

It's a pretty fantastic program, yeah.

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Translation:  Lie, cheat, and break the law to pay as little tax as possible.

Also: Trump is the law and order candidate. 

Remember when he said he'd close the tax loopholes for the rich, the very ones he's presumably also bragging about that he himself used, and he said the difference would be that he would be a president who represents everyone, rather than the private citizen he had been who was out for himself? Anyone?

:joe: