Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

12 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Alright I started this turd over. Let’s see if it shines up a bit now that I know I’m actually playing The Sims:Cowboys

I seriously can't get enough of this game. It's simply brilliant. Hopefully you start to enjoy it.

14 hours ago, ByWatterson said:

Don't feel like getting into what I consider nitpicking, but here's my hot take:

Red Dead Redemption II is a great leap forward that reminds me of Super Mario 64 with how much I think it may advance the medium of games and challenge how they're considered by players and media and designed by developers. 

That is a spicy take and if you find the time I wouldn't mind hearing you expand on that.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I seriously can't get enough of this game. It's simply brilliant. Hopefully you start to enjoy it.

I’ll say with the recommended control changes and starting over with a better idea of what the game is supposed to be...it’s better. I still think the 1st chapter sucks. But it was a bit better. Gonna play a bunch of chapter 2 tonight. 

I did fall down a hill in chapter 1 with my horse. It was all snow so we just kept sliding and then slammed into a rock at the bottom and I went flying. That made me laugh. The animations in this real really are incredibly detailed(if not unnecessary a lot of the time). 

Played through the opening last night and reached camp.  Way too much exposition so far for me.  Probably the most walk/ride and talks I’ve ever experienced in a play session of that length.  Good thing they have that snow tech to help the players rationalize all that slow movement.  Feels very much like the writing team strong-armed their way into owning the entire intro and making sure no line of dialog was cut.

Also ran into my fist bug that kept me from progressing without restarting a mission (Arthur wouldn’t sit in the stagecoach).  Something similar happened to me in GoW with the boat, but at least there it was clear the game just broke (was rowing the boat on dry land),  whereas in RDR2 I probably wasted 10 minutes trying to get Arthur to sit down.

I hope the traversal and world engagement when riding the horse opens up cause right now I’m getting some FFXV car flashbacks.  

Movement, especially in combat, leaves much to be desired. Sure after playing more I’ll get used to it, but people weren’t kidding about Morgan’s sluggishness.

So far I wouldn’t say I’ve had the greatest experience, but I’m open to see if it gets better.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yeah I'm having a blast exploring and stumbling into missions and encounters.  Glad to see folks are actually, you know, learning how to play the game before they pass judgement on it. Gamers can often be too eager to be the first one to post a hot take before fully realizing the potential awesomeness of a given game. I've seen it happen before with The Witcher 3 and other games... it's one thing to play a game, understand how to play it and not like it and another thing to not take the time to learn how to play a game then shit on it because you were doing it wrong. I've started several games over once I got the hang of the gameplay and I've often been rewarded for doing so with some if the best gaming experiences of my life :)

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

The opening didn't really do much for me. 

And, honestly, I'm enjoying my books and TV shows more right now. 

Same. I was gonna play more today but just couldn’t bring myself to pick up the controller. I watched 3 episodes of Castlevania S2 instead. It was awesome. I made the right choice. 

Just now, Mercury33 said:

Same. I was gonna play more today but just couldn’t bring myself to pick up the controller. I watched 3 episodes of Castlevania S2 instead. It was awesome. I made the right choice. 

I'm pretty much caught up on my TV now, Castlevania, The Haunting of Hill House, and Castle Rock were all fun binges. There's always more stuff on my watch lists, but I'm at a good point to take a break from shows for a minute. Tonight, I'll be watching my traditional Halloween flicks, Hocus Pocus and the original Halloween. 

Last night, I finished Luigi's Mansion early and had hours to play RDR, but I just ended up reading on the couch and I really had no regrets :p 

16 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Alright I started this turd over. Let’s see if it shines up a bit now that I know I’m actually playing The Sims:Cowboys

It helped me to enjoy it much more than before. It’s exactly The Sims Cowboys! Go into it with that mindset and play it like an RPG.  

59 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I'm having a blast exploring and stumbling into missions and encounters.  Glad to see folks are actually, you know, learning how to play the game before they pass judgement on it. Gamers can often be too eager to be the first one to post a hot take before fully realizing the potential awesomeness of a given game. I've seen it happen before with The Witcher 3 and other games... it's one thing to play a game, understand how to play it and not like it and another thing to not take the time to learn how to play a game then shit on it because you were doing it wrong. I've started several games over once I got the hang of the gameplay and I've often been rewarded for doing so with some if the best gaming experiences of my life :)

The game is great, there are a couple places where it bursts at the seams but that’s only obvious because the overall level of polish is so high. That said there are too many menus and sub menus, the controls absolutely have moments where control is ripped from you without letting you know, and they often do not behave the same way when you use the same input, with no explanation or context as to why.

It’s fucking awesome but it has moments where interacting with it just straight up sucks. It’s not a matter of “understanding how to play” when fundamental gameplay basics aren’t explained in an hours long tutorial. I’m not talking about concepts that are unlocked later, leaving explanations until then is fine. It’s basic shit about combat and interacting with the world that’s not even mentioned until you’ve potentially been doing it for hours.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The game is great, there are a couple places where it bursts at the seams but that’s only obvious because the overall level of polish is so high. That said there are too many menus and sub menus, the controls absolutely have moments where control is ripped from you without letting you know, and they often do not behave the same way when you use the same input, with no explanation or context as to why.

It’s fucking awesome but it has moments where interacting with it just straight up sucks. It’s not a matter of “understanding how to play” when fundamental gameplay basics aren’t explained in an hours long tutorial. I’m not talking about concepts that are unlocked later, leaving explanations until then is fine. It’s basic shit about combat and interacting with the world that’s not even mentioned until you’ve potentially been doing it for hours.

That hasn't been my experience. I haven't struggled with the controls nearly as much as some of you seem to have and I felt like the game does a pretty good job of explaining stuff in the tutorial chapter and in subsequent missions. I feel like the game can be a little TO heavy with the directions and tutorials but that's me. And some of the stuff I've seen posted here has been straight up, provably wrong. It just has :shrug:

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That hasn't been my experience. I haven't struggled with the controls nearly as much as some of you seem to have and I felt like the game does a pretty good job of explaining stuff in the tutorial chapter and in subsequent missions. I feel like the game can be a little TO heavy with the directions and tutorials but that's me. And some of the stuff I've seen posted here has been straight up, provably wrong. It just has :shrug:

Probably just the same people who can't figure out the story to Infinity War also bought this game and now can't figure out the controls.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Probably just the same people who can't figure out the story to Infinity War also bought this game and now can't figure out the controls.

Lol well you know people are idiots :lol: 

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It certainly seems like a damn polarizing game. Given the pedigree, this should be a game that's universally loved. But at the very least, this forum is pretty split. Even many of those who like it admit there are some serious things to complain about.

Was there ever a such thing as a universally praised game on these boards? :p I've seen people take shots at everything from The Witcher 3 to Breath of The Wild to God of War on this board.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol well you know people are idiots :lol: 

Is there a such thing as a universally praised game on these boards :p I've seen people take shots at everything from The Witcher 3 to Breath of The Wild to God of War on this board.

If there was ever a game that should get damn near universal praise, I'd think it'd be this one. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it's got the board fairly split. I think there are some legit gripes with it.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You have to press different buttons to pick up a hat, an item, or a gun. That’s fucking ridiculous. 

Edit - then I realize I can buy a coffee percolator and rush to do that in camp immediately because that makes me rock hard. The game inspires strong feelings. 

Edit 2 - I’ve donated HUNDREDS of dollars of loot into the gang coffers. Dozens and dozens of pocket watches and belts. Then Dutch calls me out for not giving him cash?!?!? OH I’M SORRY MY LITERAL GOLD ISN’T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, YOU COCK

Edit 3 - Given how the only aspect of Marston’s character from RDR I enjoyed was his voice acting, I’m really impressed with how much I like Arthur. He’s easily my favorite Rockstar character and the first one in any of their games that I actually care about. 

I haven't fully tested it out, but I've found that counter intuitively raising the aim "acceleration" to maximum works best. I believe what's going on is that since there is a fixed movement speed, maximum acceleration means it just reaches it instantly and you don't feel any effects of acceleration.

To be clear, moving your analog slightly still moves the camera slower as you would want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m really impressed with how much I like Arthur.

His character only gets better as the game goes on. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Then Dutch calls me out for not giving him cash?!?!? OH I’M SORRY MY LITERAL GOLD ISN’T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, YOU COCK

I had white level food(Yellow > White > Red) and Dutch was yelling at me cuz people were starving. I just bought more provisions and it stopped, but wtf. And the rest of the fucking gang needs to donate more. This is fucking shit. I have donated thousands, and literally have everything you can buy from the ledger in chapter 3. I keep seeing "Gang get cut: X dollars" yet that money isn't added to the camp funds but to Dutch's secret stash. I really wish you could find that stash and take the money. I don't  need it, I just want to put in the camp funds.  

27 minutes ago, Bacon said:

His character only gets better as the game goes on. 

I had white level food(Yellow > White > Red) and Dutch was yelling at me cuz people were starving. I just bought more provisions and it stopped, but wtf. And the rest of the fucking gang needs to donate more. This is fucking shit. I have donated thousands, and literally have everything you can buy from the ledger in chapter 3. I keep seeing "Gang get cut: X dollars" yet that money isn't added to the camp funds but to Dutch's secret stash. I really wish you could find that stash and take the money. I don't  need it, I just want to put in the camp funds.  

There's a way to get the gang to donate more... it's one of the camp upgrades.

36 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's a way to get the gang to donate more... it's one of the camp upgrades.

Yes, they now donate every leap year as opposed to when Halley's comet shows up, the cheap fucks.

Let's look at the donation log

Gold Bar - Arthur

Platinum shinies - Arthur

Gold shinies - Arthur

Gold shinies - Arthur

Gold shinies - Arthur

Gold shinies - Arthur

Gold shinies - Arthur