Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

13 minutes ago, johnny said:

I challenged that gunslinger guy to a couple challenges and lost one so I owed him money. I figured it would just deduct the money from my wallet so I got on my horse and was leaving and he got all pissed and started shooting and SHOT MY HORSE. So I had to kill him and lost honor. Annoying af 

You have an option to pay or not pay. If you decline, a fight will start.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Bethesda scale bugs? I haven't ran into any bugs yet which is remarkable considering the size of the game. 

No, because Bethesda bugs have never been an issue for me. And Bethesda bugs fall more on the humors side than that don't bother me. Arthur getting stuck looting cray fish and I had to exit the app. Stuck between a rack and a tent and had to use dynamite to blow myself out, and experiencing story content out of order to the point where it fucked up story. Without spoiling anything, at the end of chapter 5 Arthur encounters a character who he met in a previous chapter and is now in an unpleasant situation. There are then side missions about said character. However, I did those missions in chapter 5 before its ending where he meets this character again, and from what I did that character should not be where they were. 

Then it just feels like the more I play the buggier the horse becomes. Like when my horse walked into a tree, didn't get hurt but it flipped Arty over and then he was standing on the horse and teleported back into the saddle. There are other smaller bugs and jitters that just hamper shit down. It was fine in the early stages, and noticeably worse in chapters 4 and 5. 

51 minutes ago, johnny said:

I challenged that gunslinger guy to a couple challenges and lost one so I owed him money. I figured it would just deduct the money from my wallet so I got on my horse and was leaving and he got all pissed and started shooting and SHOT MY HORSE. So I had to kill him and lost honor. Annoying af 

It’s annoying because in other situations, items or money are handed over automatically. The game is consistently inconsistent when it comes to this kind of minutia and controls. 

I often feel like R* deliberately is trying to make their game suck. I'm starting to teeter on the edge of stopping, but I feel like this is a game that is supposed to really start coming together at least story wise as you approach the end.

I dunno though. I'm currently baffled that the game got such amazing critical praise with all the clearly bad game design elements in it.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

but I feel like this is a game that is supposed to really start coming together at least story wise as you approach the end.

It does as I am near the end. If you only do stranger/white and yellow missions the game will have a much better flow, but you'll miss out on a lot of stuff. I mean, I have already seen a lot of side stuff, but I haven't even been to the Indian reservation. I see it on my map but the game has not once directed me in that direction. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

It does as I am near the end. If you only do stranger/white and yellow missions the game will have a much better flow, but you'll miss out on a lot of stuff. I mean, I have already seen a lot of side stuff, but I haven't even been to the Indian reservation. I see it on my map but the game has not once directed me in that direction. 

Thanks. Good to hear!

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Just hit chapter 4 so this sounds awful. Maybe I'll be lucky. :nervous:

I mean, I could just be unlucky. A lot of my horse issues started when I bought the best or one of the best horses you can buy. I heard there are better wild horses, but yeah.

3 hours ago, legend said:

I often feel like R* deliberately is trying to make their game suck. I'm starting to teeter on the edge of stopping, but I feel like this is a game that is supposed to really start coming together at least story wise as you approach the end.

I dunno though. I'm currently baffled that the game got such amazing critical praise with all the clearly bad game design elements in it.

But it has cinematic view!!! So while we wait 10 minutes to get to our location we can check our phone as long as we hold down the x button! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol fuck these missions that dump you somewhere with no hat and no horse after you finish them haha. 

Game has graphics, big detailed open world, lots of characters, variety of available missions, lots of busy work and side stuff. But damn it’s just NOT FUN. 

29 minutes ago, johnny said:

But it has cinematic view!!! So while we wait 10 minutes to get to our location we can check our phone as long as we hold down the x button! 

And why the fuck do we need to hold the X button for 10 minutes? You should be able to start cinematic view and the horse should just follow the path. 

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Game has graphics, big detailed open world, lots of characters, variety of available missions, lots of busy work and side stuff. But damn it’s just NOT FUN. 

Adimtedly im having more fun than I was the first time. And  this is easily the most amazing Open World ever created imo. But yeah still a little too much dumb shit. Like with a world so beautiful, why are you making me hit a button to make my horse go? Let me use the camera and look at your damn world while I’m riding. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What? I don't recall holding any button when doing this? I must not even notice. Or more importantly, care. 

Well, that's cuz you're dumb. And if you want to go fast, as fast as your horse can, you have to tap X/A. It really doesn't matter if you care or not since you don't even notice it. I'm sure you don't notice a lot of things. 

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You don't hold any button. He follows the path automatically. :|

Wrong

38 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Uh, you still have to hold A/X or else the horse won't move

Correct

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What? I don't recall holding any button when doing this? I must not even notice. Or more importantly, care. 

Cause you’re dumb

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, that's cuz you're dumb. And if you want to go fast, as fast as your horse can, you have to tap X/A. It really doesn't matter if you care or not since you don't even notice it. I'm sure you don't notice a lot of things. 

What Bacon said ^

1 minute ago, johnny said:

The only person who’s dumb is whoever decided we had to hold a button in cinematic view. 

Cinematic view should propel you forward at just the right speed to hear all lines of dialogue without you having to do a damn thing. 

I honestly think my enjoyment of this game would go way up if the run controls got rid of the A button all together. I would even be ok with the hitting A to sprint since I understand the stamina mechanic they want to implement. But for regular running just let me press forward. I would like the game so much more. 

I’ve started using the cinematic mode just to avoid bumping into people and causing accidental altercations.  Comes with its own set of drawbacks though:

First, it’s hard to tell when you are or are not in control.  Doesn’t help that the rules to it are very inconsistent and change in some mission segments. No wonder people are confused about the holding X thing.

Second, the cinematic mode is truly aweful when a random event occurs that you want to interact with.  I haven’t felt this disoriented in a game since Quest 64.  Also, why on earth did Rockstar decide leave the view active when you jump off the horse?

I get that RDR2 demands a lot of patience, but this is more a case of poor design, plain and simple.  Unfortunately the more I play the more the review scores are starting to baffle me.  

I am really enjoying the world, I spent way to long playing Dominoes and fishing but I feel like nothing is really pushing the story forward. Every mission is " Hey Arthur I got us a crime to commit". I do enjoy the other characters and I would enjoy them even more if the side quest I did with them involved more than listening to a few lines of dialog before being relegated to helping them rob or shooting some one and then riding back to camp solo.

22 minutes ago, Duderino said:

I’ve started using the cinematic mode just to avoid bumping into people and causing accidental altercations.  Comes with its own set of drawbacks though:

First, it’s hard to tell when you are or are not in control.  Doesn’t help that the rules to it are very inconsistent and change in some mission segments. No wonder people are confused about the holding X thing.

Second, the cinematic mode is truly aweful when a random event occurs that you want to interact with.  I haven’t felt this disoriented in a game since Quest 64.  Also, why on earth did Rockstar decide leave the view active when you jump off the horse?

I get that RDR2 demands a lot of patience, but this is more a case of poor design, plain and simple.  Unfortunately the more I play the more the review scores are starting to baffle me.  

It's crazy that it was critically loved and scored so highly. I get why people would love the game, but I find it hard to believe there weren't some people at the major gaming sites that feel similarly to what we are talking about. If the story wasnt taking so long to get fucking going, I would probably be able to ignore most things since I'd be so engrossed in it, but looking at the mountains as i press X to Jason isn't doing it for me. 

$$$$$$ runs the world. 

21 minutes ago, johnny said:

It's crazy that it was critically loved and scored so highly. I get why people would love the game, but I find it hard to believe there weren't some people at the major gaming sites that feel similarly to what we are talking about. If the story wasnt taking so long to get fucking going, I would probably be able to ignore most things since I'd be so engrossed in it, but looking at the mountains as i press X to Jason isn't doing it for me. 

$$$$$$ runs the world. 

I’ve watched a number of RDR2 discussion videos now from a few different outlets.  From what I can tell many game journalists do have issues with the game.  The reviewer always seems to love it though.