Red Dead Redemption II | Official Thread of Shrinking Equine Testicles

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

You don't hold any button. He follows the path automatically. :|

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Uh, you still have to hold A/X or else the horse won't move

Sometimes you have to hold the button to keep the horse going in cinematic mode, sometimes you don't. Because of course it's like that in this game.

That feeling when you play poker for an hour and finally bust out the last player....only to then realize you spent an hour only winning $3 lol

I actually haven’t had any issues inadvertently doing stuff since I first played the game. Once you get used to the controls(as less than desirable as they may be) I think it’s pretty easy to avoid doing the wrong thing. At least imo. 

@Bacon @Biggie @Mercury33 - if you set a waypoint and get yourself to at least be on the path...switch to cinematic mode, tap run and you will automatically follow the path without having to hold any buttons.

if you want to sprint, yes you need to keep tapping, which is dumb. But the horse will gallop on his own with no input one you get him started.  

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Clunky controls can really break your enjoyment for a game, though. There's a ton to like here. I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why Rockstar made so many stupid choices when it came to the controls. 

You would think with their resources they would have made it work. 

Maybe the PC version with change a lot of minds if they configure that well. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

There’s more not to like than there is to like. I don’t know what it is but I just don’t have any fun when I’m playing this. I literally have to force myself to play. Think I’m done with it. 

I was correct about the waypoint. You dumb af. You quit on every game you buy. This is the norm. You like to shoot things like an 13yr old adhd child. Just drink and shoot children in cod. Deeez nutzzz!

I suppose I was wrong, but not entirely as you still have to tap to sprint and that is all I do on horse, cuz I am not willing to move at a snails pace only stuck to the trails making travel take even longer. You are still dumb tho. You were just right in this case. But, you don't care so it must not matter that you were right. 

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Clunky controls can really break your enjoyment for a game, though. There's a ton to like here. I just can't, for the life of me, figure out why Rockstar made so many stupid choices when it came to the controls. 

I find it incredibly frustrating, because just a little bit of attention to the core controls and mechanics *would* make this game something really special. It seems like they went out of their way to fuck up something that could have been so good.

25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I suppose I was wrong, but not entirely as you still have to tap to sprint and that is all I do on horse, cuz I am not willing to move at a snails pace only stuck to the trails making travel take even longer. You are still dumb tho. You were just right in this case. But, you don't care so it must not matter that you were right. 

The horse will actually move at the same pace you were going when you release the cinematic button.  They should have done a much better job of explaining this feature. 

6 minutes ago, cwood said:

The horse will actually move at the same pace you were going when you release the cinematic button.  They should have done a much better job of explaining this feature. 

Again, it absolutely does not always work this way.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

But yeah @Bacon you don’t have to tap at all. 

Except for when you do.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, it absolutely does not always work this way.

Except for when you do.

I personally haven’t run into this. 

Unfortunately with clunky open world games it’s sometimes difficult to discern a true hitch in the game vs someone not activating a (clunky) mechanic quite right. 

I have had it bounce out a time or two and had to re-trigger it, but it’s a pretty quick process.

Honestly it was a game changer for me when I learned about this. I hope people who didn’t know you can do it give it a try. 

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh and if you guys haven’t been, make sure you read his journal. 

(Hold right on the D pad and find it in his satchel.)

It’s really good. 

Yes! I just discovered this last night. Very cool running summary of everything you’ve done in the game so far. Especially handy if you take a break for a few days and forget exactly where you were in the story. Very nice little feature. 

Ok someone explain this cinematic thing to me. Because I’ve set a way point, got my horse up to speed and let go of A and he just slows to a stop. How do you get him to keep going?

I hardly ever use cinematic mode since you miss so much while in it but I’d like to know just the same haha

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

I tested it out the other day and sometimes he would stop moving if I wasn’t holding X. Maybe it’s a glitch, but it’s happened. 

Apologies if you’ve been doing it this way, but: 

1. Get to the road you wanna be on

2. Start moving and hold the cinematic button

3. Do NOT let go of the cinematic button until you get up to the speed you want

4. Once you’re there, let go

There are times it doesn’t trigger correctly, yes, but typically from there you’ll gallup at that speed to your marker. 

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yes! I just discovered this last night. Very cool running summary of everything you’ve done in the game so far. Especially handy if you take a break for a few days and forget exactly where you were in the story. Very nice little feature. 

Ok someone explain this cinematic thing to me. Because I’ve set a way point, got my horse up to speed and let go of A and he just slows to a stop. How do you get him to keep going?

I hardly ever use cinematic mode since you miss so much while in it but I’d like to know just the same haha

See my reply to Johnny 

I just read every entry as I am near the end of them game. They really give Arty more depth than most characters. There were a few times where I thought Arty was out of character, but he really wasn't. The entries essentially let you hear his thoughts on everything you have done as him. Though, I wish they were all voiced acted, not just the bigger story ones. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Ohhh you have to hold the cinematic button. How TF did anyone figure that out?

Lol it’s a huge thing and they do nothing to onboard you to it, other than maybe the one time it popped up early in the game and you’re pry looking anywhere except at the tiny text in the top left of the screen. 

But yeah the natural instinct is to let go of cinematic button immediately once you enter the cinematic mode - but the trick is to hold it until you are at the speed you want. 

It seriously has made a big difference in my enjoyment of the game. 

I was going to play a bunch to today but have to take a break because I went through a series of immensely frustrating control mechanic fuck ups. In the last one (without giving anything significant away), I'm raiding a house to rescue someone. I know they're behind a door with the final guy. I kick open the door and hold, with my gun already out and press L2 to aim. Instead of aiming at the enemy directly in front of me, the game takes this to mean to "focus" on the person tied up. I let go of L2 and press again, and again I focus on the tied up person. At this point the enemy gets a few shots in so I just start shooting from the hip and manage to kill him.

Why would I want to focus on a person with no interaction opens when I'm in the middle of a gun fight? Nevermind that I didn't even have the weapons I wanted because once again, the game decide to automatically unequip my previous weapon load out for god knows why.

This game is the most biploar and clunky game I've played for this long and I'm very close to quitting entirely. There is simply no way in hell the game can ever make up for this shit to justify the near flawless scores its getting from reviewers. It seriously makes me question if R* just bought these reviews.

21 minutes ago, legend said:

This game is the most biploar and clunky game I've played for this long and I'm very close to quitting entirely. There is simply no way in hell the game can ever make up for this shit to justify the near flawless scores its getting from reviewers. It seriously makes me question if R* just bought these reviews.

I haven’t read a lot of reviews, but in most of the critique I’ve heard on podcasts they go out of their way to say how crappy the controls and how awkward a lot of the mechanics are. I haven’t seen anyone come close to implying it’s flawless, but maybe that’s in the written stuff that I haven’t read. Quite the opposite, they seem to recognize it’s deeply flawed but it works for them anyway. 

The most annoying thing I’ve run into is when I have had to take a carriage somewhere ok multiple missions and I’ve gotten it stuck between something. There’s no way to get it out or back up, and since you can’t save during the mission you have to go all the way back to the start and try again. It’s infuriating. 

But then I just now did a very mundane mission that turned into a pretty dramatic moment and then turned mundane again, and the tension and atmosphere was incredible. Those moments are more frequent than the frustrating ones for me. Sorry you’re not liking it though, that really does suck.  

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I actually like the way the weapons stored on the horse thing works. I get why it’s frustrating to some but it just clicks with me for some reason. 

I don't know how this is possible.

I get off a horse with weapons different than the ones I JUST selected and the game puts basic bullets into weapons I previously loaded with better ammo. It does this ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The most annoying thing I’ve run into is when I have had to take a carriage somewhere ok multiple missions and I’ve gotten it stuck between something. There’s no way to get it out or back up, and since you can’t save during the mission you have to go all the way back to the start and try again.  

Guess what? You can totally back wagons up. I believe it's R1.

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I haven’t read a lot of reviews, but in most of the critique I’ve heard on podcasts they go out of their way to say how crappy the controls and how awkward a lot of the mechanics are. I haven’t seen anyone come close to implying it’s flawless, but maybe that’s in the written stuff that I haven’t read. Quite the opposite, they seem to recognize it’s deeply flawed but it works for them anyway. 

I'm referring mainly the scores; their final word on it. I mean, Witcher 3 has control issues, yet it's still my favorite RPG made. So I get being able to look past issues. But this is seriously the worse controlling game that I've put this much time into (as opposed to quitting immediately). I could maybe understand scoring it in the low 90s on average, despite these issues because you really like the rest, but it's one of the highest rated games of all time in aggregate and the degree of terribleness of its core mechanics is so bad that I just don't see how so many in the media can universally be giving it as much of a pass as they are. It seems really suspect.

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The most annoying thing I’ve run into is when I have had to take a carriage somewhere ok multiple missions and I’ve gotten it stuck between something. There’s no way to get it out or back up, and since you can’t save during the mission you have to go all the way back to the start and try again. It’s infuriating. 

But then I just now did a very mundane mission that turned into a pretty dramatic moment and then turned mundane again, and the tension and atmosphere was incredible. Those moments are more frequent than the frustrating ones for me. Sorry you’re not liking it though, that really does suck.  

Yeah the atmosphere is really good. This could be an amazing game, but instead I'm on the verge of giving up on it because of their terrible implementation of the fundamentals :p 

I'd like to think they'll patch it and make it into the game it should have been, but I have my doubts.

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yuuuuuuuuuuup. This fucking game. :| The game will fail or just not advance a mission without ever popping up to remind you or having the prompt show up.

Yeah that's strange, because I've had the mission auto fail on me for weird positioning of a carriage that, if you couldn't back up, would be a mission ender. Did they forget they implemented that too? :p 

47 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I actually like the way the weapons stored on the horse thing works. I get why it’s frustrating to some but it just clicks with me for some reason. 

I too enjoy not having my weapons with me because the game decided to unequip them and make me go to my horse if I want them