The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I do this with every game, huh...

I like to discuss games in a gaming forum and interact with others. I'm just asking a few questions but you always have the answers to everything and are always right. You need to just ignore my posts if you seem to get annoyed by them. I struggle with modern gaming sometimes and come here to ask questions. I'll figure it out no thanks to you. 

Struggle with modern gaming? Modern gaming practically holds your hand and tells you where to go! Shit, most games have “story mode” where you get easy gameplay and just plow through the story. 

I’m not asking this to be a dick, but you’ve played a Zelda game before, right?

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Struggle with modern gaming? Modern gaming practically holds your hand and tells you where to go! Shit, most games have “story mode” where you get easy gameplay and just plow through the story. 

I’m not asking this to be a dick, but you’ve played a Zelda game before, right?

I only really played and beat OOT back in 1998. I played a lot of BotW but didn't touch the "story" at all. Just unlocked shrines and towers or whatever they were called in that. 

Yes, I struggle with modern games even when they can hold your hand. For instance, I'm currently struggling with Metroid Prime. I'm just not very good at videogames. Sorry. 

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'll keep this so I don't need to spoiler tag any of it. There are four races other than Hylian in this game; the Zora, the Gorons, the Rito, and the Gerudo. Go to their cities and solve their problems. That will naturally open up the four temples.

This is perfect. That's all I really needed someone to post. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yes, I struggle with modern games even when they can hold your hand. For instance, I'm currently struggling with Metroid Prime. I'm just not very good at videogames. Sorry. 

nothing wrong with that. Prime is not good with telling you where to go/map system sucks 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

I only really played and beat OOT back in 1998. I played a lot of BotW but didn't touch the "story" at all. Just unlocked shrines and towers or whatever they were called in that. 

You realize Metroid Prime came out 21 years ago right? Only 4 years after Ocarina of time...

Are you skipping the dialogue? The NPCs will guide you if not outright give you the solution in most cases.

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

This is perfect. That's all I really needed someone to post. 

The point was that your quest log gives you the EXACT same information he just gave you. The quest tells you to go check out the four phenomena, and names the four towns by name, along with 4 yellow pulsing markers on your map.

I’m sorry if I made you feel bad, it’s just weird that you have been playing games this long and still can’t figure this stuff out. Purah was very specific, and so is Impa. You really need to do the Impa quests if you want to understand the story happening around you, which have to do with the pictures on the ground you can see from the sky.

you are talking to people and reading what they say, right?

33 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The point was that your quest log gives you the EXACT same information he just gave you. The quest tells you to go check out the four phenomena, and names the four towns by name, along with 4 yellow pulsing markers on your map.

I’m sorry if I made you feel bad, it’s just weird that you have been playing games this long and still can’t figure this stuff out. Purah was very specific, and so is Impa. You really need to do the Impa quests if you want to understand the story happening around you, which have to do with the pictures on the ground you can see from the sky.

In the case of BotW and TotK, it isn't so weird to want to do something specific but not know which of the quest logs will lead you down that path. The mission descriptions are purposely vague. I didn't realize going into it that the four phenomenons were going to lead to the temples. It's like with the glyphs. I had no idea which mission started you down that path and now, 60 hours in, I'm only starting to collect them because I forgot all about poor Impa.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

You realize Metroid Prime came out 21 years ago right? Only 4 years after Ocarina of time...

Are you skipping the dialogue? The NPCs will guide you if not outright give you the solution in most cases.

Yes I'm aware Prime came out 20 years ago. :p

I just really suck at navigation in games. I even get stuck in games like Uncharted sometimes in knowing where to jump next.

I really need to speak to NPC's in Zelda and pay attention more on the quest log. 

53 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Like I said I need to focus on the NPCs more. They seem brain dead but I guess they really help you out in this game. Thanks for the tips. I love this game and I spend my days thinking about playing it. The shrines are so creative and fun to figure out. Once I get the story rolling and visit some dungeons this game might land in my top 10 of all-time. 

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Do you keep your companions active on the screen to assist you at fighting or just call upon them when you need a wind gust, fire ball etc.?

I never dismiss them. That seems like too much work. Also, they totally land good blows on whatever I'm fighting now and then, so I don't see any reason to purposefully limit yourself.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

In the case of BotW and TotK, it isn't so weird to want to do something specific but not know which of the quest logs will lead you down that path. The mission descriptions are purposely vague. I didn't realize going into it that the four phenomenons were going to lead to the temples. It's like with the glyphs. I had no idea which mission started you down that path and now, 60 hours in, I'm only starting to collect them because I forgot all about poor Impa.

Except that the quest log clearly separates main story quests from everything else, and theres only ever one or two you can activate at any time, generally. 

I don’t know, I guess I expected that people used quest logs and maps more. It doesn’t tell you there are temples there, but anyone who has played Zelda usually knows what you’re going to find when you do a main story quest into another races land, right down to the element specific to that race in most cases.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Do you keep your companions active on the screen to assist you at fighting or just call upon them when you need a wind gust, fire ball etc.?

I keep them out mostly, except when I’m just exploring the world map, I’ll dismiss all of them except bird boy. 

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Except that the quest log clearly separates main story quests from everything else, and theres only ever one or two you can activate at any time, generally. 

I don’t know, I guess I expected that people used quest logs and maps more. It doesn’t tell you there are temples there, but anyone who has played Zelda usually knows what you’re going to find when you do a main story quest into another races land, right down to the element specific to that race in most cases.

I am kinda a noob to Zelda so I have an excuse!

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yes I'm aware Prime came out 20 years ago. :p

I just really suck at navigation in games. I even get stuck in games like Uncharted sometimes in knowing where to jump next.

I really need to speak to NPC's in Zelda and pay attention more on the quest log. 

Like I said I need to focus on the NPCs more. They seem brain dead but I guess they really help you out in this game. Thanks for the tips. I love this game and I spend my days thinking about playing it. The shrines are so creative and fun to figure out. Once I get the story rolling and visit some dungeons this game might land in my top 10 of all-time. 

My friend you may need a Cat Scan 😬

I'm kidding. It happens to me too, a lot more now that I'm in my late 40s. I'll struggle with basic information at times then take a break, come back figure it out pretty quickly and then wonder why it wasn't that obvious before. I think it's the pressure I put on myself to WANT games to be easier than they are but I'm pretty much aged past the point where I had the patience and mental sharpness I had when I was younger.

With that said I'll go to the corner now and drink my ensure and put icy hot on my shoulder 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

@best3444 just take your time and enjoy the ride. It’s a huge game. Talk to everyone. Do as many quests as you can. I have the most fun when I’m just roaming and exploring finding stuff. Sometimes I play for hours and get nothing really accomplished. 

Yea that's what I did this evening. I'm trying to gather more heart containers before attacking a dungeon. My stamina is terrific and I make all big climbs just fine.

I unlocked my last tower and have the map fully open. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

@best3444

You dont really need more hearts for dungeons, there arent many enemies in them. The mini-bosses hit strewn about the world hit harder and present more of a challenge. Dungeon bosses just have cool/unique mechanics in how to defeat them.

Awesome to know because I want to tackle a dungeon tomorrow. 

35 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

@best3444

You dont really need more hearts for dungeons, there arent many enemies in them. The mini-bosses strewn about the world hit harder and present more of a challenge. Dungeon bosses just have cool/unique mechanics in how to defeat them.

Yeah, I did three dungeons while dumping everything into my stamina and I got through those fine. Then I tried to take in some pirates and everyone one of those bokoblin could one hit kill me.

My favorite part of the crafting is that it's clear that some thought really went into how the combined items would look. You can make some really rad looking swords, spears, etc. Then you can also slap something like a Silver Moblin Tail or whatever onto a pole and it hits like a ton of bricks because of the damage buff, but it looks like absolute ass. Or just put a halberd on a halberd. My favorite useless weapon thus far is slapping a lattice onto a club and making a gigantic fly swatter, which nobody in cutscenes acknowledges despite the fact that it MUST be the stupidest thing they've ever seen.

Meanwhile a lot of characters WILL react to you if you walk near / talk to them while naked.

Game of the generation.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

My favorite part of the crafting is that it's clear that some thought really went into how the combined items would look. You can make some really rad looking swords, spears, etc. Then you can also slap something like a Silver Moblin Tail or whatever onto a pole and it hits like a ton of bricks because of the damage buff, but it looks like absolute ass. Or just put a halberd on a halberd. My favorite useless weapon thus far is slapping a lattice onto a club and making a gigantic fly swatter, which nobody in cutscenes acknowledges despite the fact that it MUST be the stupidest thing they've ever seen.

Meanwhile a lot of characters WILL react to you if you walk near / talk to them while naked.

Game of the generation.

You think that's attention to detail? Check this shit out: 

The amount of TLC that went into this game is mind blowing.

• Shocked 1

This game is dangerously addicting. There's just so much to do and see. Every time I play I see something new that I have to "go check quickly". There's something over there, then there's something over there, then, ooh what's that thing, and I should go do that shrine. You can't just play this game for a bit. I got home at like 2 am, and thought I'd play just for a little bit before going to bed; it's now 7:20 in the morning! 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 3
  • True 2

3 hours ago, Brick said:

This game is dangerously addicting. There's just so much to do and see. Every time I play I see something new that I have to "go check quickly". There's something over there, then there's something over there, then, ooh what's that thing, and I should go do that shrine. You can't just play this game for a bit. I got home at like 2 am, and thought I'd play just for a little bit before going to bed; it's now 7:20 in the morning! 

Oh yeah, 150 hours in, I really just started the endgame stuff.

Ok I just got the Master Sword and that was cool as hell. Following the tears throughout the quest was great (kind of crazy to think of all the ways the story could unfold depending on the order you got them), and I just so happened to already have two stamina wheels - so I was on edge while that sequence played out, but what a reward. Holy shit this game is the best. 

• Halal 1

So I just did the Fire Temple and I think I trivialized what looked like a neat puzzle dungeon.  They should've set up a way to keep player crafted vehicles out of it.  I'm looking at all these rails and switches and 5 floors of figuring shit out to do, and just ended up ruining it all with my airplane in a few minutes. I think I'm going to need to do another playthrough where I don't use any player crafted setups or auto-build for anything that isn't strictly necessary.  Because I basically skipped that entire temple and it felt bad.

42 minutes ago, Slug said:

So I just did the Fire Temple and I think I trivialized what looked like a neat puzzle dungeon.  They should've set up a way to keep player crafted vehicles out of it.  I'm looking at all these rails and switches and 5 floors of figuring shit out to do, and just ended up ruining it all with my airplane in a few minutes. I think I'm going to need to do another playthrough where I don't use any player crafted setups or auto-build for anything that isn't strictly necessary.  Because I basically skipped that entire temple and it felt bad.

I looked at it and my first thought was: "Okay, no shenanigans or I'll ruin the whole Temple"

• Halal 1

52 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I looked at it and my first thought was: "Okay, no shenanigans or I'll ruin the whole Temple"

Yeah, I just decided I wasn’t gonna do that stuff. It would have been really easy to cheat a few different times throughout the temples.

one part of the lightning temple drove me nuts, but then I saw how simple it was, I just missed something simple.

I don't even know how to check how many hours I've played. I've only done one of the phenomena since there's so bloody much to do and it's easy to get sidetracked exploring some area you stumble upon. 

Besides some menu issues, I think my one complaint is the Mystery of the Depths mission.

Spoiler

I tracked down two different sets of statues before I gave up and looked up where the hell I was supposed to go. The first set got me to a different mining area, so it wasn't a loss, but one set of statues that began where your first depth mission was went to a collapsed statue. I thought, okay, the mining center has to be around here.

Nope, couldn't find anything. Then after searching far and wide, I found out that wasn't even the right place for the mission. GAHHH!

Now I know what the statue is supposed to look like and I found that facility and went to the other facility I found, and I love the new power. But it was a little annoying to do that mission.

Otherwise, I love the game.

8 hours ago, Slug said:

Just ran into that exact issue where I felt like a dummy for necessitating and using created items to resolve the last 2 switches.. but its almost hinted that crafted items are part of the designed solution.. even then I know that in certain parts I didn't abide by the intended design