2022 Midterm Thread

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The only situations where debates matter is the ones that inexplicably happen on a Friday right before a Tuesday election. The news cycle is still capturing the performance on Election Day.

Something weeks prior? Zero impact. 

I feel like that story hung around, even though Trump got hit with covid a few days later. 

8 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Look at the age breakdown for early voting in Texas. 53% of voters so far have been 65 or older. Are we going to have to wait for the boomers to die out to make progress?

Yes. 

And it won't change a lot, people in general become more conservative as they age. 

221025200744-tudor-dixon-debate-102522.j
WWW.CNN.COM

The Republican gubernatorial nominee in Michigan invoked a conspiracy that the Covid-19 pandemic and protests in the summer of 2020 after the killing of George Floyd were part of a decades-long plan by the Democratic Party to "topple" the United States as retaliation for losing the US Civil War, adding that the party wanted to enslave people "again."

• Confused 1

I've read posts on Twitter that say Abbott will win by more than DeSantis.

Except Abbott is NOWHERE NEAR as popular as DeSantis. Abbott only gets votes because a lot of people here won't vote for a Democrat, no matter what, while DeSantis is the next big Republican star.

DeSantis and Lake are more than likely the future of the Republican Party.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:
UTEP%20Early%20Voting%20PR%20TT%2004.jpg
WWW.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

Many Texas universities don’t have early-voting locations on campus. And state laws regarding voter ID and registration make it hard to turn out younger voters, advocates say.

I mAnAgE tO vOtE aNd If KiDs ReAlLy CaReD tHeN tHeY cOuLd ToO

• True 1

Always interesting that these laws target universities. And IIRC, Texas doesn't consider student ID as an ID (and many kids in university actually don't drive since they take advantage of the transit system at the university).

We should remove the ability for a concealed weapons permit to act as Voter ID, put no voting locations in the nation's more rural counties (if fewer than 5000 people live somewhere, you need to cross-county for cost-cutting purposes, we can't raise inflation to help a few hundred people vote), and restrict the hours even greater in those counties (why pay someone to stand there at a dropbox 8a-5p as if they're a county with 500k people living in it? Make it 8a-12p or something).

Those folks will find a way if they truly care about the right to vote.

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I don't know why people get so worked up by ID to vote. What students don't have government ID? I don't even know how people get through life with no form of government ID. 

Interesting you say that: read the bold above. There's a reason certain IDs (guns) are preferred over student IDs.