2022 Midterm Thread

My gf is one of the last true independents I know, and she told me she's never voted for as many Democrats as she is this year. Even supposed moderate Republicans, the minute she sees opposition to LGBT or abortion, she votes Democratic.

Unfortunately, I think she's going to be outnumbered in the state. I do hold out hope that there are many young people and unlikely voters not being counted, but I feel like the lead in the polls some of these folks have is too high to be overtaken by such a wide error, particularly DeSantis' lead. The 7-point gap for Rubio/Demings I can see being shrunk by a polling miss, but there has to be a miss. With Democrats nationally not putting in the money, it's been hard to overcome the money advantage.

End of the day, even if I think or know my candidates won't win (like in 2010), it always feels good to vote. Do my part, hope it pans out, and regroup if it doesn't.

I just popped in to the local library to vote.

The county has new voting machines since last year. These are digital touch screen machines, but they give you a piece of paper that your vote is actually recorded on and then you insert that into the tabulation machine so there is both the digital vote count and a physical paper backup. Kinda neat.

I voted for O’Rourke in honor of @CastletonSnob

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The county has new voting machines since last year. These are digital touch screen machines, but they give you a piece of paper that your vote is actually recorded on and then you insert that into the tabulation machine so there is both the digital vote count and a physical paper backup. Kinda neat.

The ones I've seen in PA are similar.  A digital touch screen machine, but a piece of paper is shown to you for final confirmation that you voted correctly, and then the vote is counted. 

53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sounds like the ones we’ve been voting on here the last few times. 

One of the counties here in Nevada are doing away with machines altogether. Which is what they want to do for the entire state if they win. The county of course is the same one that was very public with their ceremony "certifying" a false set of electors for Trump. They justify this by saying that voting machines can be tamper with while hand ballots and counting can't.

So unless someone has a big lead here expect Nye County to take their time counting the votes there. 

19 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

One of the counties here in Nevada are doing away with machines altogether. Which is what they want to do for the entire state if they win. The county of course is the same one that was very public with their ceremony "certifying" a false set of electors for Trump. They justify this by saying that voting machines can be tamper with while hand ballots and counting can't.

So unless someone has a big lead here expect Nye County to take their time counting the votes there. 

They've stopped the hand count due to a Nevada Supreme Court ruling, but will restart it once they come into "compliance".

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A rural Nevada county roiled by voting machine conspiracy theories stopped its unprecedented effort Friday to hand count ballots cast in advance of Election Day. But Nye County...

A rural Nevada county roiled by voting machine conspiracy theories stopped its unprecedented effort Friday to hand count ballots cast in advance of Election Day.

But Nye County officials vowed to reshape their plan and seek another go-ahead from the Nevada Supreme Court, after justices ruled late Thursday that counting methods used this week violated rules they set to prevent the county from allowing early disclosure of election results.

“Yesterday’s Supreme Court order requires us to make some changes to our hand count process,” Nye County officials said in a statement issued Friday that promised to “resume as soon as our plan is in compliance with the court’s order and approved by the secretary of state.”

Dropped off my ballot today too. Even though Oregon does a great job with its mail-in voting, the county (Multnomah, i.e. Portland) election office is three blocks from my apartment so I dropped it off in person. Didn't vote for a single Republican. Shocker. :p 

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:
2022-10-11T163100Z_150120871_RC24ZW9OKBM
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

“Will he likely do some things that I’m not excited about? Yeah, I think so,” Marc Victor said of Blake Masters.

I always like the idea that third parties aren't spoilers.... but also, if he drops out, he'll help the Republican win.

Then you thought you'd be a spoiler. >_>

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Spoilers are good when they hurt the others side.  Thank you for listening to my Ted talk.

What I mean is, third party candidates always say they're not spoilers; they're a legitimate choice same as the two major parties. Ralph Nader joked that Gore cost him the election.

But we're seeing a third party candidate drop out because he knows he'll be a spoiler in what is likely to be a close race. So they know what they are.

Six GA-SEN polls released in the last 24 hours:

Moore Information (R, Internal): Walker +5

Echelon Insights(R): Walker +4

Remington(R: Walker +4

Emerson: Warnock +2

SurveyUSA: Warnock +6

Fox: Warnock +2

I don't know if the GOP pollsters are right, but its a pattern across polling right now.

I voted straight GOP. Looks like the Dems might have lost Miami Dade, which is pretty amazing. Latinos are going for GOP. Florida may no longer be a swing state.

I’ve had two friends who were Bernie voters vote DeSantis. He’s very popular here. This is the most pathetic I’ve seen the Democratic Party since the early 2000s. I eagerly look forward to a red sweep.

• Guillotine 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

I voted straight GOP. Looks like the Dems might have lost Miami Dade, which is pretty amazing. Latinos are going for GOP. Florida may no longer be a swing state.

I’ve had two friends who were Bernie voters vote DeSantis. He’s very popular here. This is the most pathetic I’ve seen the Democratic Party since the early 2000s. I eagerly look forward to a red sweep.

Shocked Baby GIF

44 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

What a moron 

• Halal 2

55 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF