2022 Midterm Thread

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It’s also weird because that wasn’t Walker’s answer 😂 Now, you certainly could argue that is really what he wants, but what he actually said is he wants to lower prices of insulin but eating better is just as important.

If anything, he undersold the impact of diet!

I hate that I’m on this dipshits side 

we shouldn’t be divided to this level, this is a such a self-evident thing

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not in the medical field, but I’ve been a diabetic since childhood (misdiagnosed as a type 1, actually have a type of MODY) and have taken courses to do volunteer diabetes education for a couple of local orgs that assist immigrant populations.

The amount of misunderstanding that diabetics themselves have is astounding, so it doesn’t surprise me that non-diabetics would think that the unethically high American insulin prices for new gen insulins are a direct concern of diabetics generally.

Correct, which is why I said the notion that it isn’t relevant to a US senator as claimed by @b_m_b_m_b_mis flatly incorrect. There are actually many things the US could do, legislatively, to increase the nutritional value of the average American meal. It would save lives AND money.

You’re giving a brain damaged Republican far too much credit

4 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I just checked, the average cost of insulin R is 47 dollars for a vial across our failed nation per the database, I have a union thing so I’m at the campus.

In my state I can go to wal mart and get it for less, if you can’t manage your health conditions for what comes out to 4 dollars a month, I can’t care about you more than you care about yourself.

im 100% confident your empathy wouldn’t extend to a maga chud injecting heroin who people like me treat daily either. They can’t control it so they deserve it, right?

I’d wager most people won’t go off label from what their doctors prescribe for their diabetes and absolutely don’t have the training you have to know if that vial at Walmart is good enough to keep them alive. Hell I would wager they wouldn’t even go to look in the aisle it is in; it’s right to the pharmacy counter they go and don’t ask questions. 

should people change their lifestyle to avoid this? Yes absolutely. It’s hard and I see why people don’t! But should they pay hundreds of dollars a month or otherwise be extremely cost burdened for medicine to compensate their bad choices? Absolutely not.

And that these vials at Walmart May be acceptable substitutes is further cause for action: against the pharmaceutical companies! Like even if you break your back bending over backwards to give walker a favorable interpretation for his nonsense of a deflection and be concerned about lifestyle and healthcare costs, costs could be majorly contained, and far more easily by the government, by allowing the government to set or negotiate prices for medicine and medical services! Anyone who gives you “individual responsibility” answer for a collective action question they’re full of shit when even the barest of bare minimums isn’t done to control costs. 

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Today I learned diabetes is contagious.

People weren’t celebrating because it was a contagious disease, they were celebrating people dying because of their own poor choices…which is the same reason people are on insulin for type 2 diabetes, their own poor choices.

"If people wanted to be healthier, they would push through all the roadblocks American society has put in their way (sometimes on purpose) such as mass ignorance of nutrition information, poverty, corporate propaganda on what is considered healthy, inability to get healthy food, lack of time to plan out meals, etc."

Not a surprise that the same person blaming people for their poor life choices also blames people for not voting in a country which is the worst democracy in the western world and tries to make it as hard as possible. What's next, telling women to dress conservatively when walking alone at night?

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

"If people wanted to be healthier, they would push through all the roadblocks American society has put in their way (sometimes on purpose) such as mass ignorance of nutrition information, poverty, corporate propaganda on what is considered healthy, inability to get healthy food, lack of time to plan out meals, etc."

Not a surprise that the same person blaming people for their poor life choices also blames people for not voting in a country which is the worst democracy in the western world and tries to make it as hard as possible. What's next, telling women to dress conservatively when walking alone at night?

Literally go fuck yourself

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People weren’t celebrating because it was a contagious disease, they were celebrating people dying because of their own poor choices…which is the same reason people are on insulin for type 2 diabetes, their own poor choices.

Nobody's dying of diabetes because their big orange president told them to eat horse dewormer of taking their insulin.

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel like it takes a lot to get sbl truly angry. 

I'm sick of people being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. I used to be like that, too, until I realized it was a toxic trait passed to me from my mother, largely based on privilege (i.e. money). I don't have time for it anymore.

I'm fine with acknowledging that lifestyle choices can treat diabetes for most people (and I agree), but I'm not okay with effectively shaming them for poor choices when it's society that has made 80% of the decision for them. And I am especially not okay with the suggestion that having higher insulin costs is a good thing that can incentivize better behaviour, as he implied.

On the one hand, I get what sbl and others are saying.  They are correct that a healthy diet and exercise are the best things you can do to prevent/treat diabetes type 2.  Insulin can help, but it's not a magic bullet.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean we shouldn't cap the price of Insulin.  It would be like saying that since abstinence is the best way to prevent pregnancy and STDs, we should allow a package of condoms to cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. 

And that's not getting into all of the various social and economic issues that factor in to why obesity is such a big problem in this country, but that's an entire other can of worms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

On the one hand, I get what sbl and others are saying.  They are correct that a healthy diet and exercise are the best things you can do to prevent/treat diabetes type 2.  Insulin can help, but it's not a magic bullet.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean we shouldn't cap the price of Insulin.  

Which is exactly what @sblfilmssaid, before Citizen got all "how dare you blame people for the thing they themselves caused".

22 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Which is exactly what @sblfilmssaid, before Citizen got all "how dare you blame people for the thing they themselves caused".

And just for the record, I'll freely admit that my diet is fucking shit.  I don't have anyone to blame but myself for eating the way I have, as I have a couple grocery stores within a few miles of me.  I'm just too lazy to cook, and I'm honestly skittish in the kitchen and always afraid I'll set my apartment on fire.

It's all mental, and I need to overcome it.  I've lost weight before, so I have the ability.  I just need to recapture that willpower somehow...

On 10/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Government can’t make people eat well it can relieve cost pressures on insulin prices that’s why “eat well” is pointless for a politician to say especially when they’re actually not in favor of capping insulin prices

On 10/15/2022 at 3:10 PM, SaysWho? said:

He's not talking about the underlying issue; he's simply pivoting because he doesn't want to defend his position to stop laws that control insulin costs. Y'all are arguing a strawman and then fucking its corpse, SHIT.

These are the two biggest takeaways in my opinion. This discussion is stupid.

• True 3

Also I don’t mind if Walker was like “let’s cap insulin prices but also we have to make sure people also eat well. Here are some ideas I have to help make that happen.” But that’s not at all what happened, which is why Fright is getting so frustrated I think.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

22 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’d wager most people won’t go off label from what their doctors prescribe for their diabetes and absolutely don’t have the training you have to know if that vial at Walmart is good enough to keep them alive. Hell I would wager they wouldn’t even go to look in the aisle it is in; it’s right to the pharmacy counter they go and don’t ask questions. 

should people change their lifestyle to avoid this? Yes absolutely. It’s hard and I see why people don’t! But should they pay hundreds of dollars a month or otherwise be extremely cost burdened for medicine to compensate their bad choices? Absolutely not.

And that these vials at Walmart May be acceptable substitutes is further cause for action: against the pharmaceutical companies! Like even if you break your back bending over backwards to give walker a favorable interpretation for his nonsense of a deflection and be concerned about lifestyle and healthcare costs, costs could be majorly contained, and far more easily by the government, by allowing the government to set or negotiate prices for medicine and medical services! Anyone who gives you “individual responsibility” answer for a collective action question they’re full of shit when even the barest of bare minimums isn’t done to control costs. 

I 100% agree, again I’m advocating for the ending of private property after all so I want these things easily and freely accessible, we’re not on opposite sides here. I’m confident I take this further left than you lol

im saying that the majority of your health choices are yours, society doesn’t force people to drink xxl sodas while having “unreadable” glucose levels, meaning that it’s higher than 700. Collective action to this issue isn’t capping insulin costs, which again I want them free btw, it’s far more in-depth than that and the paternalism being shown here towards this population is frustrating. I could put myself into Keto with just what I find at the corner store by Tuesday. Is it hard sure, but again, I can do it for vanity reasons; I have no idea why people whose very lives depend on this knowledge can’t/why it’s our job to do it for them. All the drugs in the world won’t mean anything without the application of knowledge.

to reiterate, I want to remove all the barriers that exist to the best of our ability at a societal level. But the greatest barrier I see play out daily is the lifestyle choices of individuals and a knowledge barrier of those with the chronic conditions( that barrier is on people like me to remove, I’ve sat with patients for half an hour to explain disease processes they have, this is after discharge and is technically against policy since they want to increase throughout and I’m tying up a bed after it’s unoccupied, and we do our best to, but the patients also need to further this knowledge as well.)

in summation Walker is right but for the wrong reasons and I need a drink after this 😂

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

It’s like we forgot that everyone called Michelle Obama a communist gorilla she-man for even SUGGESTING kids at school eat healthier foods.

Pizza is healthy because it has pizza sauce, which is made of tomatoes. So kids are getting a serving of tomatoes with pizza. That means its healthy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

the paternalism being shown here towards this population is frustrating

Always with this board.

And here is where these goofballs also miss on this particular issue: you could eat fast food every meal and still lower your a1c without insulin and in a sustainable way by just eating smaller meals. A kid’s meal is roughly the proper calorie count for dinner for an average adult, while “adult” sized meals are minimum double and often triple with a large soda.

Would it be better if everybody had access to the best quality foods, and could cook healthy meals 3x a day? Sure. But the problem most people have is they just consume too much. They snack all day. They drink thousands of calories soda and juice.

And where are these diabetics going and getting insulin scripts that they aren’t being given diet advice? It is the most basic part of diabetes care, more foundational than medication, because truly it does not matter what medication you take if you don’t change your diet.

Obviously my experience isn’t in hospitals like yours, but I’ve sat and talked with now a 100+ diabetics and helped explain some of the simple ways they can alter their eating behaviors. I can’t tell you how many follow ups I’ve had with people who when we went over stuff since their a1c is still in the teens and I get the “I know, I know, but…” The hard part isn’t the practical issues like the lovely folks of the board wish it to be, it is the will power to change. 

8 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

On the other hand, that doesn't mean we shouldn't cap the price of Insulin.  It would be like saying that since abstinence is the best way to prevent pregnancy and STDs, we should allow a package of condoms to cost hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. 

So this is exactly the sort of analogy that shows so clearly the lack of understanding of the issue.

Insulin for type 2 diabetics is not like condoms in preventing STDs and pregnancy, it would be more like if all condoms did was slightly delay contracting the STD ot getting pregnant. A type 2 diabetic (outside of very marginal cases) will get worse and die if they don’t change their diet and stay on added insulin. Type 2 diabetics have mostly working pancreases, they produce plenty of insulin themselves, but they have become

insulin resistant due to excessive weight. Over time your resistance grows and the amount of additional insulin you have to take continues to grow. Eventually you will not be able to take enough insulin to live. Your organs will fail and you will die. The only way to actually get better is to change your food intake and get off added insulin.

8 hours ago, Ominous said:

Hey, if you want real food you can, maybe, ride the bus for an hour to go to a suburban grocery store and then haul it an hour home. It's sooo easy.

Dying of organ failure is much worse, which is what will happen to the vast majority of type 2 diabetics that stay on insulin the rest of their lives.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Get out if here with your facts kab's outrage boner is about to shoot ropes. 

Ahhh yes. Anyone advocating a little self control has an outrage boner, and gestational diabetes has nothing to do with what SBL and him are saying about type 1 diabetes. 

Food is expensive and insulin prices are ridiculous, nobody thinks they shouldn't be capped (personally I think any lifesaving meds should be free), but pretending people can't afford to eat less and exercise more because of social status makes no sense at all. Calories in vs calorirs out  theres no need to force macro and micro nutrition on people, they just need to stop eating such large servings and get their heart rate up for a while every day. 

Only here do people get upset when you suggest self care. 

14 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Is anyone actually saying that diabetics shouldn’t watch what they eat or is this whole thing just trying to retcon something that is and was just a deflection by Walker for why he doesn’t support insulin price caps

18 hours ago, Joe said:

These are the two biggest takeaways in my opinion. This discussion is stupid.

14 hours ago, Chris- said:

What a dumb argument, my god. 

Retcon. Because I still don't get why people are talking about dieting. Like...

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Only here have I encountered people who don't understand that self-care isn't the conversation since the conversation is about a guy who didn't answer why he doesn't support tackling high drug prices as his opponent does. 

I feel like this is a case of sunk cost fallacy.

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Ahhh yes. Anyone advocating a little self control has an outrage boner, and gestational diabetes has nothing to do with what SBL and him are saying about type 1 diabetes. 

Food is expensive and insulin prices are ridiculous, nobody thinks they shouldn't be capped (personally I think any lifesaving meds should be free), but pretending people can't afford to eat less and exercise more because of social status makes no sense at all. Calories in vs calorirs out  theres no need to force macro and micro nutrition on people, they just need to stop eating such large servings and get their heart rate up for a while every day. 

What’s your take on why type 2 diabetes disproportionately affects minorities and poor folks?

This conversation actually reminds me of another weirdass one from way back in the IGN days:

There was a story about how a law enforcement agency at the time was testing out contacting 911 via text. It wasn't replacing calling 911, but it did add another option if you were worried about being heard. A bunch of users said it was an awful idea! What if you're sweating? You're probably shaking too much to text! This is a bad idea that'll lead to trouble.

I responded to these people something like, "I'd much rather text 911, but if you think calling is better and don't feel comfortable texting, the option to call isn't going away, so I feel like this just gives more ways for people to contact law enforcement and feel comfortable doing it." Motherfuckers kept arguing about how this was going to be bad for 911 because now people have to control their shaking hands instead of just speaking into the phone. Even though I just explained that both options remained available and texting wasn't replacing calling!!!

Right before I passed out from exhaustion, we had the same responses of people coming in and going, "What a weird argument going on," because it was clear to all but a few very vocal people that there was nothing to argue about. It's some crazyass sunk cost fallacy shit, I tell you. :lol: