2022 Midterm Thread

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

ATLANTA (AP) — Republican activists who believe the 2020 election was stolen from former President Donald Trump have crafted a plan that, in their telling, will thwart cheating in this year’s midterm elections.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't waiting until Election Day to vote backfire on Republicans in 2020?

• Like 1

221011145350-mehmet-oz-0929.jpg?c=16x9&q
WWW.CNN.COM

Mehmet Oz, the Republican nominee for US Senate in Pennsylvania, loaned his campaign an additional $1 million on October 20, according to a filing with the FEC.

In the third quarter, covering July through September, Fetterman raised $22 million, while Oz raised about $8.9 million in addition to the $7 million he loaned his campaign.

Oz has loaned his campaign money from his personal fortune throughout his bid – including $7 million in the most recent third quarter – and his latest $1 million loan brings his cycle total to more than $22 million. Earlier this month, his opponent, Democratic Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, touted that none of his haul came from his personal bank account.

Will happily eat crow if everything goes off without a hitch, but you combine reports like this with the videos of guys staking out drop off boxes in Arizona and I'm less convinced right now than I'd like to be that election day workers are going to be able to do their jobs correctly and safely across the country.

• True 1

25 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Will happily eat crow if everything goes off without a hitch, but you combine reports like this with the videos of guys staking out drop off boxes in Arizona and I'm less convinced right now than I'd like to be that election day workers are going to be able to do their jobs correctly and safely across the country.

At this point, I just want this entire thing to be over with so I at least have some idea of the hellscape that I'll be experiencing for...

...probably the rest of my natural life :p

I know that I'm sounding defeatist, but I really do genuinely believe that Biden will be the last Democratic president that I'll see in my lifetime and that the results from this midterm will officially confirm the status of the United States as "flawed" democracy much like Poland or Hungary.  I just cannot conceive how it will be possible for "democratic" forces to overcome what appears to be daily institutional assaults at practically every level of political society across such a broad front.  Sure, the superficial "motions" of democracy (elections) will still occur and Democratic candidates will win, but actual power will probably never accrue to them for a very, very long time.

The fact of the matter is that the death knell was sounded on January 21, 2010 with the Citizens United decision.  After that, it was really only a matter of time.

Apologies for being such a downer on a lovely autumn Saturday afternoon, but I just had to get this off my chest because it's been building there for days!

• True 1

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

Sure would be funny if the GOP parts of the state had all sorts of issues and their guy loses cause of it, cause i doubt its happening in Clark county (Vegas).

10 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Why hasn’t he learned that you don’t mess with Philadelphia?

For a guy who says bad things happen in Philadelphia, he sure keeps bringing it up a lot. Eagles are 6-0. Phillies just clinched going to the World Series. Flyers are 4-2, and opened the season with 3 straight wins. I'm sure Embiid and the Sixers will get going soon enough. Even Philadelphia's soccer team Union currently has the best record in the entire MLS with 67 points. Trump is courting some serious shit right now with Philly with all that going on. :p 

here-are-some-great-gritty-memes-about-j

• Halal 2

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

For a guy who says bad things happen in Philadelphia, he sure keeps bringing it up a lot. Eagles are 6-0. Phillies just clinched going to the World Series. Flyers are 4-2, and opened the season with 3 straight wins. I'm sure Embiid and the Sixers will get going soon enough. Even Philadelphia's soccer team Union currently has the best record in the entire MLS with 67 points. Trump is courting some serious shit right now with Philly with all that going on. :p 

here-are-some-great-gritty-memes-about-j

6-F9-ABC64-C702-4-FCD-868-F-30-C1599-B4- 
8-F49726-D-7-B78-4-ECF-9-B7-C-7-C234-B01 
A59-B5-BD8-F0-C1-48-DC-9-B9-B-792-C2723-
B5-ECBCD5-4294-48-C9-9-A3-B-37232322-F64
B8061662-847-B-4-E8-C-9-CD5-A7-BEB416350

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here are the latest Texas polls from Siena College:

cropped-SRI-logo-large.png
MYEMAIL.CONSTANTCONTACT.COM

Spectrum News/Siena College Research Institute is releasing a new poll Spectrum News / Siena Poll: Texas Likely Voters Abbott Continues to Lead O'Rourke, 52-43% Patrick up by 8 for LG, 49-41% over Col

Abbott, Patrick, and Paxton are still ahead, but Beto gained 3 percentage points of the Republican vote and 4% of the Democratic vote, Collier gained 3 percentage points of the Republican vote and went from trailing by 4 percentage points with Independents to leading by 4 percentage points, and Garza gained 2 percentage points of the Republican vote, and is now leading with Independents by 3 percentage points. I'd be nervous if I were Texas Republicans.

Just now, Joe said:

This isn’t Fox News though

Uh... 

The Axel Springer empire, by contrast, has always been unabashedly arch-conservative. Since its start in Germany’s postwar era, Axel Springer hasn’t hesitated to indulge in overt (if largely improvised) right-wing populism—even when that requires bending journalistic rules. 

Axel Springer has produced a long trail of vindictive yellow journalism in Germany—coverage more akin to a blend of National Enquirer and Fox News than the serious aspirations of Politico. Today, Germans say they trust Bild significantly less than other German media sources.

Widely referred to as Germany’s Rupert Murdoch, Springer ensured his politics were expressed unmistakably in his publications. That was particularly so in Bild, his “dog on a chain,” as he put it. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Uh... 

Not interested in this back and forth tbh. Brittany Gibson has been covering George politics for a while. Arguing that this is somehow the result of Springer’s influence is completely conspiracy theory thinking. You’re welcome to it.

NBC News has an article that lets you see early voting numbers by state, including number of ballots cast, and for which party.

2022-og-midterms-early-voting.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

See the latest updates for your state's mail-in and early in-person ballots for the 2022 midterm elections.

My state, Texas, has 127,404 ballots, and is 47.0% to 44.0%, in favor of Democrats.

• Like 1
  • Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

Not interested in this back and forth tbh. Brittany Gibson has been covering George politics for a while. Arguing that this is somehow the result of Springer’s influence is completely conspiracy theory thinking. You’re welcome to it.

Look at how quickly Tapper drank the kool-aid once CNN was bought by people much more explicitly Trump-leaning. I don't see how it's conspiracy theory thinking to consider the slant of the outlet a story is appearing in.