2022 Midterm Thread

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I don't know why people get so worked up by ID to vote. What students don't have government ID? I don't even know how people get through life with no form of government ID. 

Sure if they literally sent everyone an ID whos registered to vote, but they don't, theres zero issues just telling them your name and address then signing your name.

In Texas:

1. Election IDs are free, and if there is a reason you can't get one you can just attest to the fact that you can't and still get to vote. You get a regular ballot, not a provisional one
  2. Early voting hours statewide are 7a-7p Mon-Saturday, 10a-4p Sunday
  3. The university everybody is handwringing over has buses to take students to vote

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

In Texas:

1. Election IDs are free, and if there is a reason you can't get one you can just attest to the fact that you can't and still get to vote. You get a regular ballot, not a provisional one
  3. The university everybody is handwringing over has buses to take students to vote

Listen, expending calories to vote is ableist if the government can’t tell who I am voting via telepathy it’s just another sign of the neoliberal state working against marginalized people like myself

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

In Texas:

I got turned away on Monday for getting at my early voting station at 6:01 p.m. They said it closed at 6. I came back on Tuesday around 5:30p.m. and voted straight blue. I am wondering if the 7-7 hours is true for every county.

32 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I got turned away on Monday for getting at my early voting station at 6:01 p.m. They said it closed at 6. I came back on Tuesday around 5:30p.m. and voted straight blue. I am wondering if the 7-7 hours is true for every county.

I just looked it up, and it turns out the new rules set a minimum number of hours for early voting hours but not a specific schedule the first week. The second week is a minimum 12 hour window each day, some do 7-7, some do 8-8, I don’t see any other windows. I kinda like 8-8 better, tbh.

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

I don't understand why young voter turnout is so low right now. I thought they were going to be motivated by Roe v. Wade.

It isn’t election day yet, a bit early to be making any proclamations about turnout for any particular demographic. 

3 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

I don't understand why young voter turnout is so low right now. I thought they were going to be motivated by Roe v. Wade.

Young voters have not been consistently  reliable in midterm elections. 

Go and vote, but don’t expect a blue wave when inflation is at multi decade highs and it’s the midterms when the opposite party to the sitting president typically stomps. I get it, abortion, but in Texas I have seen no evidence of anything that is going to take down the GOP leadership here. It could happen and there’s a chance. Beto raised a lot of money and abortion will motivate some voters. It would be a nice surprise.  538 has Abbott’s odds of winning at 97 in 100. 

15 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

I don't think the Democrats are going to do well, because of inflation and gas prices.

The economy is cyclical, but man it really motivates people to vote for someone that won't really have much of an impact on it.

Local / state elections that have a direct impact on local laws and development....shit why vote for that.

Merica. 

18 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

I don't think the Democrats are going to do well, because of inflation and gas prices.

Exactly. To most of America, those things are well above Roe. Abortion is theoretical for most people. Food on the table, rent, education are all far more important, especially at a time like this.

And it's not about voting for the opposition, usually, its about voting against the current power structure when times are hard. "They can't be worse than what we have now".

Except they can, and will!

18 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

You have to wonder just how bad things have to get for them to vote.

Eh, I have to imagine that much of the American population has a similar outlook to Russians, in terms of why they don't actually care about democracy: as long as you "leave them alone," (ie don't restrict the economic freedoms of the dominant class of people) then they will allow basically fascism and oppression of anyone else. It's how Russia runs and how the US basically has been run until the most recent history.

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Eh, I have to imagine that much of the American population has a similar outlook to Russians, in terms of why they don't actually care about democracy: as long as you "leave them alone," (ie don't restrict the economic freedoms of the dominant class of people) then they will allow basically fascism and oppression of anyone else. It's how Russia runs and how the US basically has been run until the most recent history.

"If it doesn't directly affect me, I don't care".

• True 1