Update: 11th Circuit Appeals Court "sacks" MAL Special Master

34 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

y7fvvbuthccs36bxdemf.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

SALISBURY, MD—Repeating identical comments he had made in June, July, August, September, and twice in November, increasingly nervous local man Aaron Howe responded to Donald Trump’s call to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. Monday by once again stating this...

Considering there is already talk of how Trump could campaign or even govern from prison I would temper any illusions one might have of something finally driving a wedge between Trump and the party.

Appealing to the Trump base is such low hanging fruit and the path of least resistance. Also, Trump always has the threat in his back pocket he used in '16. Because of how close our elections are to begin with if he runs 3rd party and even 10% of the party follows him(which I think could easily happen) the GOP would probably be on the losing end of one of the biggest landslides in history.

And that scorched earth threat probably only gets more credible the older he gets. In '16 he might have hesitanted to burn down the entire party he hoped to lead for the next decade or more. At 80 I would absolutely believe Trump would put an "if I can't have you no one will" bullet into the head of the party.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Considering there is already talk of how Trump could campaign or even govern from prison I would temper any illusions one might have of something finally driving a wedge between Trump and the party.

Appealing to the Trump base is such low hanging fruit and the path of least resistance. Also, Trump always has the threat in his back pocket he used in '16. Because of how close our elections are to begin with if he runs 3rd party and even 10% of the party follows him(which I think could easily happen) the GOP would probably be on the losing end of one of the biggest landslides in history.

And that scorched earth threat probably only gets more credible the older he gets. In '16 he might have hesitanted to burn down the entire party he hoped to lead for the next decade or more. At 80 I would absolutely believe Trump would put an "if I can't have you no one will" bullet into the head of the party.

Honestly I’m surprised he hasnt announced his candidacy just to more easily sell his “persecution” narrative.. it would be an instant shot in the arm to his base and might even embolden them further to come in his defense

Just now, 5timechamp said:

Honestly I’m surprised he hasnt announced his candidacy just to more easily sell his “persecution” narrative.. it would be an instant shot in the arm to his base and might even embolden them further to come in his defense

My good man, his base doesn't really need anything to be "emboldened" to come to his defense.  You just have to look at him the wrong way and they're already there!

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

Like, I know Teflon Don is likely going to get away without any consequences, but considering that I think he is 100% a lock for the 2024 nomination now no matter what, it would be interesting to consider what the election would look like if he was either:

A) Running for President while in custody/prison

B) Running for President while outside the United States (after fleeing to avoid charges)

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Like, I know Teflon Don is likely going to get away without any consequences, but considering that I think he is 100% a lock for the 2024 nomination now no matter what, it would be interesting to consider what the election would look like if he was either:

A) Running for President while in custody/prison

B) Running for President while outside the United States (after fleeing to avoid charges)

One thing I would predict is still a fucking unshakable 40% approval rating.

The scandals will hurt him on the margins, and I think such crazy scenarios would probably mean a Biden/Dem win in '24, but I doubt much of anything will ever shake the true believers.

19 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

There’s no point in that.  Dying a boring, pedestrian death publicly fades his star far more than dying in prison.  These chucklefucks will believe he’s wrongly prosecuted and imprisoned anyway, no jury trial will change that.  Give him a stroke on live TV during a rally so people can watch him piss himself, dribble his words, and then fade away in a hospital head hooked into tubes.  

As I said, the common chucklefuck doesn't matter, but get him on record as guilty of a crime, and the rest of the Republicans, the elected officials of the party, eventually have to denounce him. If he just dies with no consequences finally catching up to him, they will be able to always look back at "one of our greatest presidents, who was constantly falsely accused in a witch hunt", but at least if he is a proven criminal they will eventually have to at least say, "well you know our party has made mistakes in the past, and maybe he was not our best choice, but the party is still the best option..." blah blah blah, and whatever, but they will at least denounce him. It's like how no Republican would dare say that Nixon was innocent nowadays, and no one is looking back at him fondly as his reputation and legacy is completely tarnished. We need that to happen to Trump. None of this "a divisive President, for sure" bullshit, wishy-washy, noncommittal dreck the media will have to say while reporting his passing because they can't affirmatively say he was bad, and how there will still be some honour given to his presidential funeral, no instead have him die a criminal. 

For example, when George W. Bush dies I'm sure you can imagine the kind of images that will be played, the things said, the funeral that will happen, the kind of people that will get up, give a small speech, and pay their respects, but imagine an alternate timeline where Bush had been charged and convicted of war crimes. Now imagine how different all that would be. Sure Trump is far less respected than Bush, but there will still be that "well technically he was innocent because he was never proven guilty in a court of law" stench attached to him.

Fuck the GOP for ever endorsing Trump, and the party should burn to the ground for it, but until then we need them all to get off the Trump wagon, so he can be slowly forgotten without being missed. 

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

:) 

I think the new political gambit will be to avoid being convicted of Espionage Act charges, which I’ve read are actually difficult to make stick on top government officials, and swallow a conviction on a lesser charge like “unauthorized removal and retention of classified material,” which is a misdemeanor offense. (That’s what Petraeus was charged with for essentially doing something similar to what Trump’s doing)

Then Trump campaigns on “the Dems went all in on attacking me and all they got me on was a misdemeanor—vote for me to rub it in their face!”, which unfortunately could probably actually work in getting him nominated.  Being elected, OTOH, just got WAY harder for him.

7 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I think the new political gambit will be to avoid being convicted of Espionage Act charges, which I’ve read are actually difficult to make stick on top government officials, and swallow a conviction on a lesser charge like “unauthorized removal and retention of classified material,” which is a misdemeanor offense. (That’s what Petraeus was charged with for essentially doing something similar to what Trump’s doing)

Then Trump campaigns on “the Dems went all in on attacking me and all they got me on was a misdemeanor—vote for me to rub it in their face!”, which unfortunately could probably actually work in getting him nominated.  Being elected, OTOH, just got WAY harder for him.

One problem is that trump is a private citizen right now and he had plenty of opportunities to return the docs

I don’t expect anything meaningful to come of this, but we can still hope. Our government does not have a great track record of holding our poorly behaving members accountable.

I can also imagine some being fearful of the backlash from the true believers if Trump was criminally prosecuted, which is an extra hill to climb beyond the normal unwillingness to hold people accountable.

7 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Trump stories have a history of escalating far beyond their initial scope.

I have no doubt in a few days we’ll find out he transmitted some of these docs to foreign citizens and/or governments. 

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I can also imagine some being fearful of the backlash from the true believers if Trump was criminally prosecuted, which is an extra hill to climb beyond the normal unwillingness to hold people accountable.

It would appear that at some level the DOJ has at the very least partially crossed that particular Rubicon.

• Halal 2