You wash up on a magical, desert island (with electricity) and can only play one games console (with all games available on it) for the rest of your life, what are you choosing?

gamer.tv

Just to be that guy, no PC, no emulation and nothing cross-gen (so no PS4 in the PS5). 

I’m torn between SNES or PS2, for the range- but then there’s the fear the games would feel incredibly dated, potentially not as fun as I’d want them to be. PS4 has been a great console, as was the 360…

I really don’t care for many PS3/360 era games, so that’s out.  Inclined to say Switch, since it’d feel weird never getting to play a Mario or Zelda game again.  Plus the indies are all there.

But man, the performance on some games could make me second guess.

Probably PS2 or PS4. I'd love taking a snes, genesis, or n64 but I've played those systems to death and back by now. There is still tons on ps2 I never even touched and as for PS4 I'm so far behind on what I need to play that I could just call lit the yakuza system and I wouldn't be far off from what I've mostly played on it. My tiny ps4 collection is still 70% backlog. 

:shrug:

• True 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm stuck on the life plot of this magical island! I demand a backstory and world building!

It is the not too distant future where nuclear power stations are safe, automated and every habitable point of the world is part of the Musk Supergrid. You lost your phone and the console arrives in an airtight container…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I really don’t care for many PS3/360 era games, so that’s out.

It’s the opposite for me, the PS3/Xbox 360 generation has some of my favorite games. The Xbox 360 would be my second choice to play on a deserted island for the remainder of my life. Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Inclined to say Switch, since it’d feel weird never getting to play a Mario or Zelda game again.

I haven’t played a Mario or Zelda game since back on the GameCube. :lol: In fact, I haven’t owned a Nintendo console since then. I lost interest in Nintendo and its games when the Wii came out, but the Switch does seem to have some good games available for it.

2 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

It’s the opposite for me, the PS3/Xbox 360 generation has some of my favorite games. The Xbox 360 would be my second choice to play on a deserted island for the remainder of my life. Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:

I haven’t played a Mario or Zelda game since back on the GameCube. :lol: In fact, I haven’t owned a Nintendo console since then. I lost interest in Nintendo and its games when the Wii came out, but the Switch does seem to have some good games available for it.

If you like games, you should probably

invest in a Switch. Not to mention it covers a lot of Nintendo since the Wii, with all the various ports. 

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Too much gray and brown.  Plus too many games ran like hot garbage with awful vsync issues and the like.  Cover mechanics were overwrought.  JRPGs were on a rough streak.  Etc.

You'd need a Series X (or PC) to really revisit that stuff in a meaningful way anyways.

10 hours ago, silentbob said:

Well if online/gamepass play is available, just because of the back catalogue available games wise. Just give me the Xbox Series X and let them other players bitch that I don’t have a mic on for play. 

Since BC isn't allowed (ie PS4 games on PS5) then XB1, 360 & XB games would not be allowed FYI (since you noted back catalogue).

Well fuck

If that’s the case then I gotta go with the Xbox 360 because a good chunk of the Halo games came out during this era. Plus I just remember all my friends still had Xbox live and the system to play on. So a lot of Nostalgia here

close behind was the NES, but forgot how many games were unbeatable without a game genie (I’m looking at you TMNT)

44 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Well fuck

If that’s the case then I gotta go with the Xbox 360 because a good chunk of the Halo games came out during this era. Plus I just remember all my friends still had Xbox live and the system to play on. So a lot of Nostalgia here

close behind was the NES, but forgot how many games were unbeatable without a game genie (I’m looking at you TMNT)

Honestly I think the 360 is about the only choice that makes since the generation dragged on forever and when you add in all the XBLA games the value is hard to compare. Granted @Fizzzzle does have a pretty solid argument with Disgaea but I would take Diablo 3, Fallout and Elder Scrolls over it.