You wash up on a magical, desert island (with electricity) and can only play one games console (with all games available on it) for the rest of your life, what are you choosing?

gamer.tv

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Too much gray and brown.

That’s a misconception IMO. While the PS3/Xbox 360 generation did have its fair share of dark and gritty “gray and brown” games, it also had a lot of colorful games as well such as: Alice: Madness Returns, Alpha Protocol, Bayonetta, BioShock (series), Blades of Time, Blue Dragon, Borderlands (series), Brutal Legend, Bulletstorm, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Darksiders (series), Dead Island (series), Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, DmC: Devil May Cry, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Enchanted Arms, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Eternal Sonata, Fable (series), Far Cry 3, Forza Horizon, Fuse, Infinite Undiscovery, Just Cause 2, Kameo: Elements of Power, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Lollipop Chainsaw, Magna Carta 2, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Mass Effect (series), Mirror’s Edge, Perfect Dark Zero, Prince of Persia (2008), Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Saints Row (series), The Sims 3, Sleeping Dogs, Sonic Generations, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia, Tomb Raider Legend, Uncharted (series), Venetica, Viva Piñata, Wet, The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings, X-Blades, X-Men Destiny, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, etc.

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

JRPGs were on a rough streak.

You’re right, JRPGs weren’t nearly as plentiful during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and as a JRPG fan that’s one of the reasons why I would choose the PS4 over the Xbox 360.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I could probably play the Dreamcast forever.

I loved the Dreamcast back in the day, but its game library is much too limited for me to make it my exclusive console for the rest of my life.

2 hours ago, DPCyric said:

@Fizzzzle does have a pretty solid argument with Disgaea but I would take Diablo 3, Fallout and Elder Scrolls over it.

No he doesn’t. :lol: Who would want to play Disgaea for 1000 hours? Don’t get me wrong, I like the occasional strategy RPG but there’s no game that I would want to dump that amount of time into. Variety is the spice of life after all.

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s a misconception IMO. While the PS3/Xbox 360 generation did have its fair share of dark and gritty “gray and brown” games, it also had a lot of colorful games as well such as... Alice: Madness Returns, Alpha Protocol, Bayonetta, BioShock (series), Blades of Time, Blue Dragon, Borderlands (series), Brutal Legend, Bulletstorm, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Darksiders (series), Dead Island (series), Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, DmC: Devil May Cry, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Enchanted Arms, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Eternal Sonata, Fable (series), Far Cry 3, Forza Horizon, Fuse, Infinite Undiscovery, Just Cause 2, Kameo: Elements of Power, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Lollipop Chainsaw, Magna Carta 2, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Mass Effect (series), Mirror’s Edge, Perfect Dark Zero, Prince of Persia (2008), Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Saints Row (series), The Sims 3, Sleeping Dogs, Sonic Generations, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia, Tomb Raider Legend, Uncharted (series), Venetica, Viva Piñata, Wet, The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings, X-Blades, X-Men Destiny, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, etc.

A list of exceptions doesn’t negate the fact that Gears had a very strong influence on the style of games you’d see that gen.  The industry moved away from typical family-friendly fare to be too ‘serious’ and edgy IMO.  Even if they tried to be vibrant looking.

I also wouldn’t feel a loss to never revisit or play most of those.  Especially not in comparison to other generations, which is what this is all about.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

I mean, you guys do you, but wow. 

Why wow? Do you want me to list the plethora of games that make the PS4 my choice? :p

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

A list of exceptions doesn’t negate the fact that Gears had a very strong influence on the style of games you’d see that gen.  The industry moved away from typical family-friendly fare to be too ‘serious’ and edgy IMO.  Even if they tried to be vibrant looking.

I also wouldn’t feel a loss to never revisit or play most of those.  Especially not in comparison to other generations, which is what this is all about.

Fair enough, I think that you and I just might have different taste in games as I do tend to gravitate more toward the darker, edgier and serious stuff as opposed to the family-friendly stuff which is part of why I’m more of a PlayStation and Xbox person than a Nintendo one.

54 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Fair enough, I think that you and I just might have different taste in games as I do tend to gravitate more toward the darker, edgier and serious stuff as opposed to the family-friendly stuff which is part of why I’m more of a PlayStation and Xbox person than a Nintendo one.

I like a good balance.  You didn’t get it that gen without a Wii, which had its own problems with ill-considered control schemes for the hardware.

I don’t think we’re seeing less dark, edgy or serious games now than then anyhow.  There’s more to pick from across a range of tastes these days.  Though there’s still some mostly dead genres like action sports, sadly.

16 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

How does cross gen work?  Like I can play Symphony of the Night on a ps5, does that not count?

I think for it to be fair it only counts if it’s an actual port to the system or was released after the system was out. So I think that port was for ps4 so it would still count for that gen but not ps5.

If I am stranded by myself, my choice remains the OLED even though drift would be a concern.

If I am stranded with a friend then a N64. N64 has the perfect combination of great entries to Mario, Zelda, Rare games, Fzero, Star Fox and absolute classic couch coop games. 

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I like a good balance.

I do too for the most part, but I’m not really into games aimed at younger audiences too much.

You didn’t get it that gen without a Wii, which had its own problems with ill-considered control schemes for the hardware.

I always forget about the Wii, it wasn’t something that I ever had an interest in. The Switch is the first Nintendo console that I’ve been somewhat interested in since the GameCube.

I don’t think we’re seeing less dark, edgy or serious games now than then anyhow.  There’s more to pick from across a range of tastes these days.

I agree which is why I would choose the PS4 over the Xbox 360 if I was only able to play one console for the rest of my life, because it has a much more varied selection of games.

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Why wow? Do you want me to list the plethora of games that make the PS4 my choice? :p

I mean...maybe? 

I dunno, it's just I wouldn't go with the PS4 if I was going with a Playstation system. More likely PSOne or PS2. Much better library of games, IMHO. PS4 is pretty boring to me. The PS2 was the last Playstation home console that really interested me. PS3 and PS4 are pretty much duds in my book. 

But! Like I said, you do you. :D 

No BC? You mothafucka.

Probably PS2, PS4, or DS probably. Huge libraries, fun and varied, good shit overall.

SNES I can see being tempting, but I feel like you have that Top 20ish that are excellent, and the level of quality is not the same after that, which I can't say for other consoles that have really massive libraries. There are some games that are good but are literally an afternoon playthrough or even less than that. Same with the Genesis: far be it from me to diss games I still love, like Sonic 1 - 3&K, but all of them combined are an afternoon, and then I'm reminded that I'm on a deserted island.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Steam Deck :mthinking:

We need a loophole reaction. :thinking:

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I dunno, it's just I wouldn't go with the PS4 if I was going with a Playstation system. More likely PSOne or PS2. Much better library of games, IMHO. PS4 is pretty boring to me. The PS2 was the last Playstation home console that really interested me. PS3 and PS4 are pretty much duds in my book.

I really liked the PS1 and PS2 and agree with you that the PS3 was kind of a dud, but if you consider the PS4 boring and a dud then you definitely need a Phase list of games for it. :p I currently own 600+ PS4 games, that’s the most games that I’ve ever owned for any console. They might be more quantity over quality as I don’t feel that a lot of them standout quite as much as some past console games have, but there’s no shortage of them that’s for sure.

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

SNES I can see being tempting, but I feel like you have that Top 20ish that are excellent, and the level of quality is not the same after that, which I can't say for other consoles that have really massive libraries. There are some games that are good but are literally an afternoon playthrough or even less than that. Same with the Genesis

This is pretty much how I feel about the old 8-bit and 16-bit game consoles as well, and why I would choose a somewhat newer game console for a desert island situation.

4 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I mean...maybe? 

But! Like I said, you do you. :D 

Ps1 games do not hold up, they're pretty much all trash by today standards and I loved the ps1, even a lot of ps2 games had horrendous camera/controls (looking at you capcom) and/or ridiculous load times

Also a lot of the best ps1/2 games are on ps4 in a collection or a remastered version (Devil may cry, shadow of the colossus, resident evil, final fantasy, etc.)

• True 1

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

SNES I can see being tempting, but I feel like you have that Top 20ish that are excellent, and the level of quality is not the same after that, which I can't say for other consoles that have really massive libraries. There are some games that are good but are literally an afternoon playthrough or even less than that. Same with the Genesis: far be it from me to diss games I still love, like Sonic 1 - 3&K, but all of them combined are an afternoon, and then I'm reminded that I'm on a deserted island.

We need a loophole reaction. :thinking:

Totally agree, I love retro gaming and older games but I don't want to be stuck there, games today are amazing! For the amount of just fantastic AAA titles on the 360 though is why I picked it. I know I had the most fun gaming on that console during that stretch.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

5 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I always forget about the Wii, it wasn’t something that I ever had an interest in. The Switch is the first Nintendo console that I’ve been somewhat interested in since the GameCube.

Many of the absolute best games that generation were on the Wii.  Xenoblade.  Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.  Metroid Prime 3.  I'd even say Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword stand up alongside most 360/PS3 bests, in spite of not having the clout of Breath of the Wild.

All those games are well worth checking out if you've never played them.  They're as much a part of what defines that gen to me (in a good way) as games like Bioshock and Arkham Asylum.

2 hours ago, HardAct said:

For the amount of just fantastic AAA titles on the 360 though is why I picked it. I know I had the most fun gaming on that console during that stretch.

Not just AAA games, but mid-tier games as well. It’s one of my favorite game consoles. I still own it, have a huge library of games for it and still play it regularly.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Many of the absolute best games that generation were on the Wii.  Xenoblade.  Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.  Metroid Prime 3.  I'd even say Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword stand up alongside most 360/PS3 bests, in spite of not having the clout of Breath of the Wild.

All those games are well worth checking out if you've never played them.  They're as much a part of what defines that gen to me (in a good way) as games like Bioshock and Arkham Asylum.

There are quite a few Wii games that I would like to play since I missed out on them back in the day, are they available on the Switch?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Saw this and thought of @Phaseknox

Buffy the Vampire Slayer for Xbox is one of my favorite games, I still play it to this day. Those scores are a joke, EGM SUCKS!!!!

7 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

There are quite a few Wii games that I would like to play since I missed out on them back in the day, are they available on the Switch?

Some.  There’s a limited print collection of Mario games that includes 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1.  It’s on sale and GameStop right now, I’d get it now if you’d ever want to, since it could get rare since it’s no longer available digitally.  Galaxy 1 is about as good as Odyssey, in its own way.  The real shame is that Galaxy 2 isn’t part of the collection.  I consider it the best Mario game ever made, even ahead of SMB3 and World.

Xenoblade 1 got a remaster with a complete visual overhaul.  If you’ve never played it and like JRPGs, get on that. It’s up there with Chrono Trigger and FF6 for me.  Had no right being as good at it was when it first released.  It was also technical marvel for the hardware with the scope of its world, doing much more than HD JRPGs that gen with limited means.  Game is massive though, be warned.

Skyward Sword got a re-release.  It’s a Zelda with some of the highest highs, and lowest lows, in the series.  I really enjoyed it personally, but it’s not without flaws.  Some outstanding bosses and highly creative puzzle mechanics there though.  Twilight Princess HD never got a rerelease, it’s stuck on WiiU.  It’s more consistent, but less original.

There’s rumors about the Metroid Prime series getting some form of remaster ahead of 4.  They’re all worth playing.

There’s many other gems that were never ported to Switch, like DKC Returns and Punchout, but they’re less essential.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer for Xbox is one of my favorite games, I still play it to this day. Those scores are a joke, EGM SUCKS!!!!

Actually? AGREED. That game was way better than it had any right to be. The sequel isn't as good, but still fun. 

• Halal 1

20 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s a misconception IMO. While the PS3/Xbox 360 generation did have its fair share of dark and gritty “gray and brown” games, it also had a lot of colorful games as well such as: Alice: Madness Returns, Alpha Protocol, Bayonetta, BioShock (series), Blades of Time, Blue Dragon, Borderlands (series), Brutal Legend, Bulletstorm, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Darksiders (series), Dead Island (series), Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga, DmC: Devil May Cry, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Enchanted Arms, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Eternal Sonata, Fable (series), Far Cry 3, Forza Horizon, Fuse, Infinite Undiscovery, Just Cause 2, Kameo: Elements of Power, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Lollipop Chainsaw, Magna Carta 2, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Mass Effect (series), Mirror’s Edge, Perfect Dark Zero, Prince of Persia (2008), Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, Saints Row (series), The Sims 3, Sleeping Dogs, Sonic Generations, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Xillia, Tomb Raider Legend, Uncharted (series), Venetica, Viva Piñata, Wet, The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings, X-Blades, X-Men Destiny, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, etc.

You’re right, JRPGs weren’t nearly as plentiful during the PS3/Xbox 360 generation and as a JRPG fan that’s one of the reasons why I would choose the PS4 over the Xbox 360.

I loved the Dreamcast back in the day, but its game library is much too limited for me to make it my exclusive console for the rest of my life.

No he doesn’t. :lol: Who would want to play Disgaea for 1000 hours? Don’t get me wrong, I like the occasional strategy RPG but there’s no game that I would want to dump that amount of time into. Variety is the spice of life after all.

I will play Disgaea for 1,000 when you get the itch for a tactics game it is hard to shake... PS2 is probably in second place for my honestly.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Actually? AGREED. That game was way better than it had any right to be. The sequel isn't as good, but still fun. 

You’re right, the sequel Chaos Bleeds isn’t as good. It was made by a different developer (Eurocom). By the way, have you played Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb? It was made by the same developer (The Collective) as the first Buffy the Vampire Slayer game. It’s really good, and I would recommend checking it out if you haven’t already.

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

I will play Disgaea for 1,000 when you get the itch for a tactics game it is hard to shake

That’s cool, I myself just can’t dump that kind of time into one game. :shrug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

You’re right, the sequel Chaos Bleeds isn’t as good. It was made by a different developer (Eurocom). By the way, have you played Indiana Jones and the Emperor’s Tomb? It was made by the same developer (The Collective) as the first Buffy the Vampire Slayer game. It’s really good, and I would recommend checking it out if you haven’t already.

I haven't! I'll look into it, though. Thanks! 

Some.  There’s a limited print collection of Mario games that includes 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1.  It’s on sale and GameStop right now, I’d get it now if you’d ever want to, since it could get rare since it’s no longer available digitally.  Galaxy 1 is about as good as Odyssey, in its own way.  The real shame is that Galaxy 2 isn’t part of the collection.  I consider it the best Mario game ever made, even ahead of SMB3 and World.

Xenoblade 1 got a remaster with a complete visual overhaul.  If you’ve never played it and like JRPGs, get on that. It’s up there with Chrono Trigger and FF6 for me.  Had no right being as good at it was when it first released.  It was also technical marvel for the hardware with the scope of its world, doing much more than HD JRPGs that gen with limited means.  Game is massive though, be warned.

Skyward Sword got a re-release.  It’s a Zelda with some of the highest highs, and lowest lows, in the series.  I really enjoyed it personally, but it’s not without flaws.  Some outstanding bosses and highly creative puzzle mechanics there though.  Twilight Princess HD never got a rerelease, it’s stuck on WiiU.  It’s more consistent, but less original.

There’s rumors about the Metroid Prime series getting some form of remaster ahead of 4.  They’re all worth playing.

There’s many other gems that were never ported to Switch, like DKC Returns and Punchout, but they’re less essential.

I never really got into XbC 1 and am afraid of kind of on Switch, I loved 2 though but again from what I'm hearing about graphical anomalies on the remaster I haven't pulled the trigger. XbC2 is a fantastic game and I've always wanted to replay that one. I do have XbC 3 pre-ordered for Switch I just hope it runs and plays like BotW and I'll be elated!

Careful:

You get chastised for lengthy ramblings here........:rolleyes: 

Though mine are more fall off the cliff ramblings with only a sprinkle of sentences here and there with any "MEAT" to them, so....you probably be fine. Carry on.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HardAct said:

I never really got into XbC 1 and am afraid of kind of on Switch, I loved 2 though but again from what I'm hearing about graphical anomalies on the remaster I haven't pulled the trigger. XbC2 is a fantastic game and I've always wanted to replay that one. I do have XbC 3 pre-ordered for Switch I just hope it runs and plays like BotW and I'll be elated!

Did you ever play Torna?  I’m 20 hours in and loving it.

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If I were to follow the rules, I would pick PS4.  Newer Games > Retro Games

I can easily see myself preferring older AAA games to today's crop of bloated & systems driven stuff.

... But there's just no way I wouldn't go with a modern platform anyways.  There's never been more good games to play due to the vibrancy of the indie market.  And the big games of today would keep me plenty busy collecting shit and doing side quests made to fill a quota.