CDPR Announces New Witcher Game In Development, will use UE5 instead of REDengine

AbsolutSurgen

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to CDPR Announces New Witcher Game In Development, will use UE5 instead of REDengine
58 minutes ago, johnny said:

With the cat medallion it's possible the game will be centered around Ciri 

Hmm, what makes you say that? I actually took it the reverse way: the cat medallion seemed like evidence it won't be centered around Ciri, because she would have been school of the wolf.

EDIT: Hmm nvm, bizarre lore:

latest?cb=20201210182529
WITCHER.FANDOM.COM

And to remind you of witchers who didn't shrink from robbery. Who didn't hesitate to work as hired assassins. Am I to remind you of the psychopaths who wore medallions with a cat's head, and who were also amused by the killing wrought around them? Harlan Tzara, Season of Storms School of the Cat is a school of ragtag witchers formed after a student mutiny against their former masters. Headquartered in the traveling Dyn Marv Caravan, they are...

Although Ciri trained at the School of the Wolf, she wore a Feline witcher's medallion. She had claimed it from the lifeless body of infamous bounty hunter Leo Bonhart. Bonhart had boasted that he was one of few to ever best a witcher in combat – and several at that – as evidenced by the three silver medallions fastened to his belt. The swordmaster never claimed a fourth, however, as Ciri spilled his blood over the cold cobblestones of Stygga Castle.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Hmm, what makes you say that? I actually took it the reverse way: the cat medallion seemed like evidence it won't be centered around Ciri, because she would have been school of the wolf.

She has a medallion from the Cat school in Wild Hunt at some point IIRC.

04i5wa5ueun41.png

Now that I’ve thought about it more she has one in the books too.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

She has a medallion from the Cat school in Wild Hunt at some point IIRC.

04i5wa5ueun41.png

Now that I’ve thought about it more she has one in the books too.

Thanks! I also just posted in an edit some stuff from the wiki mentioning why she has it, but image certainly helps! Looks like a different design in the tweet, but they could also have just updated the design.

8 hours ago, legend said:

Thanks! I also just posted in an edit some stuff from the wiki mentioning why she has it, but image certainly helps! Looks like a different design in the tweet, but they could also have just updated the design.

I don’t think I ever noticed it in game, and I got this from Reddit. God knows there’s enough mods out there that I’m not 100% sure it’s from an unmodded game, but eh. :p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is a good question, but I’d imagine it opens them up to be able to hire more flexibly. Also if they’re going to ditch, all that effort and spend is already cooked; the sunk cost fallacy is real and it can be surprisingly difficult to stop yeeting good money after bad. So good on them for that I guess?

• Thanks 2

The Witcher 3 is very good, but this isn't the same CDPR anymore. On top of that a new Witcher title will have to be just as amazing if not better than the Witcher 3. Why would I want to play anything lesser? And for me, the only character I want to play as is Geralt, but I also never want to play as Geralt again. I finished his story. He now lives happily ever after due to the "hard work and effort" I put in to give my Geralt the ending he deserves (I wanted). I don't want any outside forces to take away what I have achieved for Geralt. I put Geralt to rest and I never want to seem him again, especially outside of my control. 

But that's just my personal preference.  I get that many people would be happy to retake up the mantle of Geralt or put on Ciri's shoes but I don't want to touch any of that. There is only one way for me to enter the Witcher world again and that would be to make a totally original character and main cast and the game is set in the far future and the player will never hear of Geralt & Co. outside of a few legends. Geralt's story is perfectly over and I see no reason to continue it.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

The Witcher 3 is very good, but this isn't the same CDPR anymore. On top of that a new Witcher title will have to be just as amazing if not better than the Witcher 3. Why would I want to play anything lesser? And for me, the only character I want to play as is Geralt, but I also never want to play as Geralt again. I finished his story. He now lives happily ever after due to the "hard work and effort" I put in to give my Geralt the ending he deserves (I wanted). I don't want any outside forces to take away what I have achieved for Geralt. I put Geralt to rest and I never want to seem him again, especially outside of my control. 

But that's just my personal preference.  I get that many people would be happy to retake up the mantle of Geralt or put on Ciri's shoes but I don't want to touch any of that. There is only one way for me to enter the Witcher world again and that would be to make a totally original character and main cast and the game is set in the far future and the player will never hear of Geralt & Co. outside of a few legends. Geralt's story is perfectly over and I see no reason to continue it.

Id be fine with a smaller prequel, and ill play whatever it is, but I mostly agree. I hope it's a new character in a different time frame.

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Mainly then I think we just need to see what the game is, because there’s no indication it’s a Geralt game lol. 

Otherwise your question is weird lol. Yeah I think everyone hopes the next game in a franchise is better than the last one. 

Moving to UE5 is interesting, but it's hard to say if its the kind of thing that will shorten or lengthen the dev cycle for a game like this. If nothing else it certainly signals an effort to change what the dev process looks like, hopefully to avoid the pitfalls of Cyberpunk.

I hope that change allows them to make a smaller game. Just because they've made giant games in the past doesn't mean that every game needs to be bigger and filled with more systems and more complexity. Build a game that tells a good story and is fun to play and put less focus on building more more more.

17 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not sure who this is, but I'm guessing they're not a software engineer? While CDPRs tooling might blow chunks for all I know, there's no reason to conclude that's the case just because they're switching to UE. Something people often don't appreciate is how much coding work is just maintaining code. Maintaining code doesn't mean the code is broken at any point and needs fixing, but that inevitably the technology around your code evolves requiring you to either update your code to support it, or leave these new things unsupported.

The game industry is a particularly fast moving field with changes in hardware, software drivers, and constantly evolving algorithms and approaches for new techniques. The larger your code base and engine is, the more work you'll have to do to make sure everything is still working when new things are integrated, and this is incredibly challenging.

The benefit of using a standard framework/library is there are lots of other people already maintaining that code. With all the constant new tech evolving, it's very easy to imagine that CDPR made the decision that it would be easier or more cost effective to switch to a new engine with an established population supporting and maintaining it than pay the continual cost of maintaining and updating their own framework.

And as @Kal-El814also mentioned, it also has the benefit that new employees are more likely to already have experience in that framework.

2 hours ago, legend said:

I'm not sure who this is, but I'm guessing they're not a software engineer? While CDPRs tooling might blow chunks for all I know, there's no reason to conclude that's the case just because they're switching to UE. Something people often don't appreciate is how much coding work is just maintaining code. Maintaining code doesn't mean the code is broken at any point and needs fixing, but that inevitably the technology around your code evolves requiring you to either update your code to support it, or leave these new things unsupported.

The game industry is a particularly fast moving field with changes in hardware, software drivers, and constantly evolving algorithms and approaches for new techniques. The larger your code base and engine is, the more work you'll have to do to make sure everything is still working when new things are integrated, and this is incredibly challenging.

The benefit of using a standard framework/library is there are lots of other people already maintaining that code. With all the constant new tech evolving, it's very easy to imagine that CDPR made the decision that it would be easier or more cost effective to switch to a new engine with an established population supporting and maintaining it than pay the continual cost of maintaining and updating their own framework.

And as @Kal-El814also mentioned, it also has the benefit that new employees are more likely to already have experience in that framework.

Are you suggesting people who have know idea wtf they’re talking about make overly confident assertions based on nothing but their own delusions on how they think things work? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1