Texas governor Abbot has directed Family and Protective Services to begin investigating all trans children in Texas and prosecuting their parents as abusers

God I hate Republicans. They are targeting some of the most vulnerable people in our society just to score political points and because they can. They are truly cruel and evil people devoid of any compassion or empathy. I hope that the Jesus they so fervently claim to believe in is real and that there is divine punishment awaiting them.

• Like 1
  • True 1

I think something that doesn't get talked about enough is that for a lot of older people who aren't Very Online and don't know any trans people personally, they think transitioning means immediately getting bottom surgery, and basically can't separate the entire concept of trans/non-binary identity from thinking about bottom surgery.

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think something that doesn't get talked about enough is that for a lot of older people who aren't Very Online and don't know any trans people personally, they think transitioning means immediately getting bottom surgery, and basically can't separate the entire concept of trans/non-binary identity from thinking about bottom surgery.

Religious conservatives have always paid far too much attention to the genitals of others.

I've never dealt with CPS but I have with their peers within County Social Services on the adult side. One phone call by a County Social Worker who 1. doesn't understand my family situation, 2. doesn't understand the law/process, and 3. thinks they are "just trying to help" can land me in a nursing home against my will. My Dad almost threw one out of the house a few years ago for saying "when your new wheelchair gets put into your Medicaid budget it may break the threshold for home care being cost neutral with a nursing home since powerchairs aren't allowed there..." When I was in college a social worker said if I can't lift a spoon in front of her she might have to declare my home unsafe and remove me. I have a disabled friend who was pregnant and CPS preemptively showed up after a tip from a Medicaid Social Worker threatening to take the baby after birth, despite the father living there. 

These are not the people you want enforcing trans issues, they'll fuck it up, badly. 

• True 1

I think one of the reasons it's so hard to get absolutely despondent following politics is that it just never seems like blue states follow along right after each other like this on anything. Maybe the closest thing was gay marriage being approved state by state before it eventually got to the SCOTUS decision, but some of that was state court rulings and not legislation

33 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think one of the reasons it's so hard to get absolutely despondent following politics is that it just never seems like blue states follow along right after each other like this on anything. Maybe the closest thing was gay marriage being approved state by state before it eventually got to the SCOTUS decision, but some of that was state court rulings and not legislation

Dems are not coordinators, generally. Part of it is the big tent concept. There simply is not near as wide of a gap from the most conservative to least conservative GOP member on policy, while the most to least liberal in the Democratic Party is actually substantial. Outside of generational talents like Obama who had the persona to bring these disparate POVs together, you’re going to struggle mightily to set up a nationwide agenda that the states sign onto as well.

Even Obama couldn’t sustain the momentum long.

What's really difficult about the trans gaining momentum compared to same sex marriage is that far fewer people are trans. Or, at least, far fewer people are open about it. And in some areas you really endanger yourself by coming out. It just isn't 

Why do so many trans kids, particularly trans girls, want to start transitioning at an early age? Because the earlier a trans girls starts taking E the more likely that she will "pass" when she's older. And "passing" isn't just about vanity. Those who can pass don't face the same dangers for those of us who clearly don't. It is something in the back of my mind every time I go out in girl mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm worried about my one cousin now.  She came out as trans about a year and a half ago and is set to marry her girlfriend around this Christmas.  But all of these new laws are a very worrying trend.  Sure, we live in PA and DE which don't appear close to passing laws like this, but who knows how things will be 5-10+ years from now?

I worry about the future for trans but also the LGBTQ at large because they will be a direct target after this.

Also I just want to say this topic title trolls me every time I see it listed as the latest topic for this board on the front page. I just see "Texas governor Abbot has di" and my mind fills in the missing "ed". =/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

while california has problems of a different kind i truly cant think if very many states i would even want to live in let alone visit in this shithole country 

My wife and I had wanted to potentially travel to the US in the next few years, but we decided against it. I've been to California three times (once to the Bay Area, and twice to San Diego/LA) and Florida once, but we were considering maybe a food tour of the southern states, especially for BBQ. But with everything going on in the US, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Instead we'll travel within Canada to the west and east coasts, and then save up for a European trip in a few years.

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My wife and I had wanted to potentially travel to the US in the next few years, but we decided against it. I've been to California three times (once to the Bay Area, and twice to San Diego/LA) and Florida once, but we were considering maybe a food tour of the southern states, especially for BBQ. But with everything going on in the US, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Instead we'll travel within Canada to the west and east coasts, and then save up for a European trip in a few years.

There is literally nothing safer than being a straight white married couple in America :p Practically royalty!

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

there's nothing worth doing in the south. go to the west coast or the northeast. that's it. 

The south is packed with diversity and culture that gets overlooked due to politics and stereotypes. Very underrated region. Not much of a reason to visit states like Arkansas/Alabama/Mississippi though. Oklahoma is ass too unless you’re into crazy weather. But the Atlantic Coast, Gulf Coast, southern Appalachia etc are all crazy beautiful and filled with tons of cool historic cities, including Savannah, GA which is one of my favorite small cities in the world.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What do you mean by "immigrant" food? From what countries?

I mean, on top of the obviously fantastic Mexican food, you’ve got tons of Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, all over the place man. The Houston area especially is incredibly diverse these days.