Texas governor Abbot has directed Family and Protective Services to begin investigating all trans children in Texas and prosecuting their parents as abusers

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I mean, on top of the obviously fantastic Mexican food, you’ve got tons of Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, all over the place man. The Houston area especially is incredibly diverse these days.

I honestly didn't know which is why I asked. Like you said, Mexican is obvious, but not those other nationalites. You can find all of those cuisines in Los Angeles as well though... what Texas has over places like California and New York is it's Barbecue. It's great that folks can find other foods in Houston, but nobody is going to Houston to try their Ethiopian food. I'm sure they have great Ethopian restaurants... it's just not what they're known for.

1 hour ago, Uaarkson said:

I mean, on top of the obviously fantastic Mexican food, you’ve got tons of Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, all over the place man. The Houston area especially is incredibly diverse these days.

Yeah, but you can also get that in California 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

My wife and I had wanted to potentially travel to the US in the next few years, but we decided against it. I've been to California three times (once to the Bay Area, and twice to San Diego/LA) and Florida once, but we were considering maybe a food tour of the southern states, especially for BBQ. But with everything going on in the US, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Instead we'll travel within Canada to the west and east coasts, and then save up for a European trip in a few years.

Come visit western Oregon!  The area in and around Portland has beautiful nature to explore, is known to be very foodie-friendly, and has all the homeless you can shake your stick at! :p

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I honestly didn't know which is why I asked. Like you said, Mexican is obvious, but not those other nationalites. You can find all of those cuisines in Los Angeles as well though... what Texas has over places like California and New York is it's Barbecue. It's great that folks can find other foods in Houston, but nobody is going to Houston to try their Ethiopian food. I'm sure they have great Ethopian restaurants... it's just not what they're known for.

Maybe not just for the Ethiopian food, but people definitely go to Houston to sample the mesmerizing culinary diversity. You pretty much won’t find a notable list of best food cities in the US that doesn’t include Houston these days, and it is the diversity of quality food options that drive that.

A major reason for this is that two of the largest industries in Houston are healthcare and energy, which for obvious reasons, brings a lot of people from around the world here.

One kinda interesting tidbit about Houston is that in the wake of Hakeem Olajuwon playing basketball for the University of Houston and then the Houston Rockets, Nigerians began to view Houston as a particularly great destination for them to immigrate to because Olajuwon was so beloved here. Really wild how these sorts of things can affect perceptions in far away places.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm thinking about Seattle this year. I've only been as far west as Yellowstone and  the Pacific NW appeals to me. I don't have much interest in California, except maybe SF eventually.

If you go to Seattle, head up north and visit Deception Pass. That area is probably the most beautiful place on earth.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:11 AM, chakoo said:

I worry about the future for trans but also the LGBTQ at large because they will be a direct target after this.

We've been trying to warn cis queer people of this. The trans community is the canary in the gold mine. It was only a matter of time before the GOP started going after gay rights again, and sure enough we are experiencing Gay Panic 2.0 with the Don't Say Gay Bill in Florida. And critics of the bill are literally being labeled as "child groomers" on Fox News. Scary time to be living as a queer person, even more so as a trans educator in Florida.

• Sad 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:13 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm thinking about Seattle this year. I've only been as far west as Yellowstone and  the Pacific NW appeals to me. I don't have much interest in California, except maybe SF eventually.

you guys should hit me up if you come out to SF, we can go to the old penny arcade! 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

It is always, 100% of the time, unerringly, projection when it comes to this crowd.

24 years older than her. Fucking gross. I know the answer is likely "because Baptists", but how the fuck were her parents OK with this creep marrying their daughter? How did her father not chase him out of the house with a shotgun when she brought him over to meet them for the first time? 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

It is always, 100% of the time, unerringly, projection when it comes to this crowd.

I mean Marjorie just called Romney, Collins, and Murowski pro pedophile and her best friend in congress is under investigation for underage sex trafficking. Their projection game is fucking unhinged. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I mean Marjorie just called Romney, Collins, and Murowski pro pedophile and her best friend in congress is under investigation for underage sex trafficking. Their projection game is fucking unhinged. 

The normalization of labeling political opponents groomers or pedophiles (when it actually isn’t warranted like it often is with the gop) is very bad and will only actually hurt kids

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The normalization of labeling political opponents groomers or pedophiles (when it actually isn’t warranted like it often is with the gop) is very bad and will only actually hurt kids

It’s doing this thing that hurts children psychologically and drowns out actual groomers and pedophiles in order to suppress minorities and make their lives harder. It’s the perfect evil. 

I am very quick to step in during such episodes, but I can fully appreciate people in Gunland not inserting themselves into the situation. The sort of person that is shouting at a family like this is almost certainly a gun owner.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I am very quick to step in during such episodes, but I can fully appreciate people in Gunland not inserting themselves into the situation. The sort of person that is shouting at a family like this is almost certainly a gun owner.

Yup, and that's exactly why there is no goddamned reason to allow gun ownership. 

• True 1

• 1 month later...