Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

34 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

that’s how I try to approach most Star Wars content. I do sometimes enjoy going deep with the lore, and prefer when continuity is maintained through a franchise, but I try not to expect creators to be beholden to it. 

it would be easier in many ways if Lucas Film would move away from the movies 1-9 time era. Give themselves the breathing room to create new characters and new adventures. Where we don’t need a Skywalker or some other fan favorite character taking over the story. 

They are doing this in print with the High Republic era, but I know nothing about it or plans to bring it to the screen.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, johnny said:

oooooo lawd there are gonna be some takes on the internet about this finale 

My take after the finale is that the show just doesn't warrant strong takes.

They spent $150M to get us to a pointless anime fight that changed absolutely nothing about the status quo. The only reason this show exists is to have that duel, a duel that can only have one possible outcome. Again, does it pass a character vibe check? Yeah, sure. Like I said I don't mind a prequel. The prequel trilogy and Rogue One bring something to the table other than vibes. Even Solo did, to a lesser extent, despite the fact that it's not super likely we'll see on screen follow up to some of the things it teased. This show just doesn't have any of that.

Why have Obi-Wan struggle with the force and in combat? In a matter of literal hours he goes from barely being able to use the force to pulling off one of the strongest displays we've ever seen on screen. He just... gets it back. He doesn't overcome anything, he doesn't have to sacrifice anything, he just turns it on when he needs it.

Every major character in this show had a foregone conclusion with the possible exception of Reva, who was obviously going to "fail" as soon as she set her sights on Luke. The show kneecapped itself every step of the way.

And while I don't care about the canon of it all so much of this finale just decides to iron out the wrinkles in the most awkward way. Obi-Wan calls him "Darth!" Like on the Death Star! Vader clearly wants revenge, but a stern talking to the Emperor stops that from happening, that's convenient! Obi-Wan dunking so hard on Vader makes absolutely no sense and makes his sacrifice in ANH seem unnecessary.

But hey, turns out Obi-Wan gave Luke the toy he was playing with in ANH and he got to say "hello there," so check off those boxes I guess.

What a wildly uneven series.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They spent $150M to get us to a pointless anime fight that changed absolutely nothing about the status quo. The only reason this show exists is to have that duel, a duel that can only have one possible outcome. Again, does it pass a character vibe check? Yeah, sure. Like I said I don't mind a prequel. The prequel trilogy and Rogue One bring something to the table other than vibes. Even Solo did, to a lesser extent, despite the fact that it's not super likely we'll see on screen follow up to some of the things it teased. This show just doesn't have any of that.

Why have Obi-Wan struggle with the force and in combat? In a matter of literal hours he goes from barely being able to use the force to pulling off one of the strongest displays we've ever seen on screen. He just... gets it back. He doesn't overcome anything, he doesn't have to sacrifice anything, he just turns it on when he needs it.

Every major character in this show had a foregone conclusion with the possible exception of Reva, who was obviously going to "fail" as soon as she set her sites on Luke. The show kneecapped itself every step of the way.

And while I don't care about the canon of it all so much of this finale just decides to iron out the wrinkles in the most awkward way. Obi-Wan calls him "Darth!" Like on the Death Star! Vader clearly wants revenge, but a stern talking to the Emperor stops that from happening, that's convenient! Obi-Wan dunking so hard on Vader makes absolutely no sense and makes his sacrifice in ANH seem unnecessary.

But hey, turns out Obi-Wan gave Luke the toy he was playing with in ANH and he got to say "hello there," so check off those boxes I guess.

FYEAHMOVIES — cheesepop: SPACEBALLS (1987) — dir. Mel Brooks

• Like 1

I mean yeah this show didn't really bring any new revelations, or relevant backstory that makes us watch the OT in a new light, but eh it was fun. We got some awesome Darth Vader moments, Hayden Christensen got some good moments which is nice as Hollywood seems to have forgotten about him after the prequels which seems unfair, and Little Leia was a delight. Was this show "necessary"? No, but is anything? Can't a show or movie just exist to be entertainment? Would I have liked it to have been better, and for it to have meant more? Yeah absolutely, but I still had fun with it, and that's what Star Wars has always been; good pulp sci-fi fantasy fun. People seem to want Star Wars to be some Game of Thrones (at its prime) calibre property but it's never been that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 3

37 minutes ago, Brick said:

I mean yeah this show didn't really bring any new revelations, or relevant backstory that makes us watch the OT in a new light, but eh it was fun. We got some awesome Darth Vader moments, Hayden Christensen got some good moments which is nice as Hollywood seems to have forgotten about him after the prequels which seems unfair, and Little Leia was a delight. Was this show "necessary"? No, but is anything? Can't a show or movie just exist to be entertainment? Would I have liked it to have been better, and for it to have meant more? Yeah absolutely, but I still had fun with it, and that's what Star Wars has always been; good pulp sci-fi fantasy fun. People seem to want Star Wars to be some Game of Thrones (at its prime) calibre property but it's never been that. 

A New Hope and Empire are some of the best movies ever. RotJ is not, IMHO, on their level cinematically, but that movie still absolutely delivers. I know that the PT and the ST have diluted the brand to some extent, but the Star Wars pedigree is strong.

So saying that Obi-Wan isn't necessary but isn't entertainment writ large unnecessary also misses the mark for me. And while it's also unreasonable to expect every bit of Star Wars content to hit the series peak... I also don't think it's asking too much to have a 6 episode miniseries teach us literally anything new and meaningful about its main characters. Obi-Wan is in on screen in Rebels for less than 5 minutes and we learn as much about his character during that time as we do in all 6 episodes of this.

Rebels and Clone Wars are relevant because they're also prequels to events we know the conclusion of before the shows start but they're both much better about adding to the lore and the canon than this was. They're both much more "kids shows" than Obi-Wan Kenobi was, but this show had nothing on how tragic is was that Fives came so close to discovering the programming for Order 66 all clones had in them, even if we 100% knew he was going to fail. Nothing on this show matched the drama of Twilight of the Apprentice in Rebels even though we 100% knew that Ahsoka wasn't going to stop Vader or turn him back to the light.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

A New Hope and Empire are some of the best movies ever. RotJ is not, IMHO, on their level cinematically, but that movie still absolutely delivers. I know that the PT and the ST have diluted the brand to some extent, but the Star Wars pedigree is strong.

So saying that Obi-Wan isn't necessary but isn't entertainment writ large unnecessary also misses the mark for me. And while it's also unreasonable to expect every bit of Star Wars content to hit the series peak... I also don't think it's asking too much to have a 6 episode miniseries teach us literally anything new and meaningful about its main characters. Obi-Wan is in on screen in Rebels for less than 5 minutes and we learn as much about his character during that time as we do in all 6 episodes of this.

Rebels and Clone Wars are relevant because they're also prequels to events we know the conclusion of before the shows start but they're both much better about adding to the lore and the canon than this was. They're both much more "kids shows" than Obi-Wan Kenobi was, but this show had nothing on how tragic is was that Fives came so close to discovering the programming for Order 66 all clones had in them, even if we 100% knew he was going to fail. Nothing on this show matched the drama of Twilight of the Apprentice in Rebels even though we 100% knew that Ahsoka wasn't going to stop Vader or turn him back to the light.

I don't disagree. 

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So how did this all turn out? I only watched the first two, my interest really fizzled.

Binge it over the weekend. You'll probably dig it a lot more that way. Two really strong final episodes. 

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Every major character in this show had a foregone conclusion with the possible exception of Reva, who was obviously going to "fail" as soon as she set her sights on Luke. The show kneecapped itself every step of the way.

It's impossible to disagree with any of this. But I did enjoy the anime fight all the same. I suppose I will perpetually have a soft spot for these characters. Then again, I was deeply bored by Solo, so I guess there was something more to this unnecessary series that worked for me :p 

So the only thing that snaps me right out of it is “he just walked away?!”. In RotS it could be said he just walked away thinking the fire and other injuries would take care of it for him. But here? 

I get “because A New Hope exists” is the answer. I just think there could have been a bit of creativity given to why the two don’t finish their fight to death besides Obiwan doesn’t feel like killing the # 2 most powerful space Nazi in the galaxy. 

Im glad I had it these five weeks every Wednesday. But I’m not sad it’s over. If they could do something interesting with her I would not be opposed to a series focusing on Reva and what she does after this. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So the only thing that snaps me right out of it is “he just walked away?!”. In RotS it could be said he just walked away thinking the fire and other injuries would take care of it for him. But here? 

I get “because A New Hope exists” is the answer. I just think there could have been a bit of creativity given to why the two don’t finish their fight to death besides Obiwan doesn’t feel like killing the # 2 most powerful space Nazi in the galaxy. 

Im glad I had it these five weeks every Wednesday. But I’m not sad it’s over. If they could do something interesting with her I would not be opposed to a series focusing on Reva and what she does after this. 

I agree about it being weird that 1.) Obiwan beat an older and more experienced/wiser Vader, and 2.) he didn’t finish him. In regards to RotS, yes, Obiwan thought Anakin was dead (in this series, he was surprised when he found out that Anakin/Vader was alive)

10 minutes ago, legend said:

It's impossible to disagree with any of this. But I did enjoy the anime fight all the same. I suppose I will perpetually have a soft spot for these characters. Then again, I was deeply bored by Solo, so I guess there was something more to this unnecessary series that worked for me :p 

Yeah I feel the same. I enjoyed the fight much more than the one in RotS even though:

1) Obi's rock based shinku hadouken was ridiculous

2) Obi-Wan 100% left Vader to die on Mustafar and he "killed" Maul twice, he's not above killing Sith. Leaving Vader alive here seems super fucking dumb of him, the death of everyone on Alderaan is at least partially his responsibility. He doesn't kill Vader? He doesn't disarm him? Nothing? "Shit I left the meter running on Tatooine, see ya."

3) Obi-Wan has absolutely handed Vader his ass TWICE now; Kenobi scoring an own goal on the Death Star in ANH seems pretty fucking weird with this in mind

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I find it really hard to disagree with your points, but that finale... It was a damn fun watch.

It's pure fangasming on screen, and self-indulgent and probably ill-advised. But watching Vader going all-out with a saber and seeing a MUCH more satisfying fight than we got in ANH was just LOADS of fun. This was definitely an anime fight, yes. Obi-Wan got his powers back the moment he realized what he was really fighting for and that none of the guilt or baggage mattered. Was it unearned? Ehh, maybe a little, but fuck me if I didn't enjoy watching Super Saiyan 5 Obi-Wanku kicking some serious ass.

This was a good finale, but did it redeem the whole series? Definitely not. I felt like a LOT of time was wasted to get to this point. The series really failed to build up the momentum, and the only thing that made the fight at the end enjoyable was the history of the characters OUTSIDE of this show, which is honestly a failing. It worked (for me), but not because the creators of THIS show earned it.

Overall I think this series will still be viewed as a disappointment with an ocean of wasted potential. The finale was just the little curl at the end of a lowercase letter.

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I find it really hard to disagree with your points, but that finale... It was a damn fun watch.

It's pure fangasming on screen, and self-indulgent and probably ill-advised. But watching Vader going all-out with a saber and seeing a MUCH more satisfying fight than we got in ANH was just LOADS of fun. This was definitely an anime fight, yes. Obi-Wan got his powers back the moment he realized what he was really fighting for and that none of the guilt or baggage mattered. Was it unearned? Ehh, maybe a little, but fuck me if I didn't enjoy watching Super Saiyan 5 Obi-Wanku kicking some serious ass.

This was a good finale, but did it redeem the whole series? Definitely not. I felt like a LOT of time was wasted to get to this point. The series really failed to build up the momentum, and the only thing that made the fight at the end enjoyable was the history of the characters OUTSIDE of this show, which is honestly a failing. It worked (for me), but not because the creators of THIS show earned it.

Overall I think this series will still be viewed as a disappointment with an ocean of wasted potential. The finale was just the little curl at the end of a lowercase letter.

I know it "looks bad" but I will forever love the duel in ANH because it's the only fight in the canon where the combatants actually behave like they're facing off against deadly weapons that could kill them. I don't really care that so many of the duels since then feature a billion moments where someone literally shows their whole ass to their opponent who should just slice them open, they're flashy and fun. But I appreciate that the way Vader and Kenobi square off against one another really shows that they know they're evenly matched and out to kill. Those little foot movements Vader does to test Kenobi's space? That's great stuff.

I don't disagree with anything that @Kal-El814 is saying, but at the same time it was a lot of fun to watch, mostly. Obi-Want doesn't kill Vader because, from the very start when he told Yoda in ROTS, he won't kill Anakin. He just can't do it. He doesn't do it on Mustafar. He doesn't do it here. He doesn't do it in A New Hope. He just can't do it, it's as simple as that.

Also, Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn finally fucking showing up and no one cares to mention it? C'mon now!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Brick said:

McGregor seems to want to do another season 

screen-shot-2022-06-21-at-9-49-51-am-165
WWW.MENSHEALTH.COM

The writers and creators, however, aren't so sure the story will continue.

Set it during the Clone Wars or something. There are no more Kenobi stories to tell unless they take place on Tatooine or are completely frivolous adventures. He's meant to primarily be a recluse/hermit these 19 years in hiding, not out doing things. Thank God they waited until 10 years had at least passed from ROTS to do this show to show yes, he's been an absolute hermit until these events.

I did love that conversation between Obiwan and a beaten up, broken mask Vader. I liked that more than the fight itself. It was my favorite but with both of them in the entire show. The dialog felt right, and the lighting on Vader from the blue and red, alternating with whichever personality seemed to be coming through more, Anakin or Vader. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I did love that conversation between Obiwan and a beaten up, broken mask Vader. I liked that more than the fight itself. It was my favorite but with both of them in the entire show. The dialog felt right, and the lighting on Vader from the blue and red, alternating with whichever personality seemed to be coming through more, Anakin or Vader. 

People overlook this conversation but there was a LOT going on here. It almost seemed like Anakin/Vader simultaneaously WANTED Obi-Wan to punish him and wanted take Obi-Wan's guilt away. Basically he was saying "YOU didn't do this to me, I did and I deserve to die because if you don't kill me, I WILL kill you." This also makes Obi Wan's lie to Luke and and in this episode, Leah make more sense. In his mind Anakin is dead... his friend is dead and Darth Vader killed him. Even with that, he STILL couldn't bring himself to kill him.

Also Obi Wan isn't responsible fpr the destruction of Alderaan because that wasn't Vader's doing. Tarkin made that call.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also Obi Wan isn't responsible fpr the destruction of Alderaan because that wasn't Vader's doing. Tarkin made that call.

I still hold out the belief that somehow Jar Jar was responsible. I can't prove it, or even mathematically make it make any sense, but by god, HE WAS RESPONSIBLE somehow.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

3 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I still hold out the belief that somehow Jar Jar was responsible. I can't prove it, or even mathematically make it make any sense, but by god, HE WAS RESPONSIBLE somehow.

it’s qui gons fault for saving him on naboo 

• Like 1

binged through it in the last few days. I enjoyed it but found a lot of the action to be off by half a beat, not sure if was what the actors were doing, what was being focused on by the camera or the editing but something always seemed just a little off.

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

binged through it in the last few days. I enjoyed it but found a lot of the action to be off by half a beat, not sure if was what the actors were doing, what was being focused on by the camera or the editing but something always seemed just a little off.

Director's choice to have the camera was constantly bobbing around even while panning. It was so bad in episodes 4 and 5 I felt nauseous.

9 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

While it was the best Vader dialog, it has the same problem as everything else he said in the series: Just repeating phrases he's said in other movies and doesn't explore or expand the character or the lore. The emotion of this this duel is a rehash of the one they had in RotS.  

I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that the limited vocabulary of Vader is a result of the AI voice construction, but any new words spoken sounded fine. So my gut tells me they were just playing it safe and maximizing 'member berries'.

10 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

After that same thing happened in Rebels with Ahsoka, I was hoping it would happen again here, and was quite pleased when it did. Really emphasizes the tragic figure Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is, and the emotion on Obi-Wan's face really sells it. Kenobi's biggest character flaw is that he just cannot bring himself to kill Anakin, who was like a brother to him, no matter how many people that might lead to die. It's like Batman and The Joker almost in that regard. 

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

It's like Batman and The Joker almost in that regard. 

Except you GET why Obi Wan can't kill Anakin... Anakin is like a little brother to him that he watched grow up and practically raised himself. Batman not killing the Joker is just pure selfish cowardice in my opinion. He has NO emotional connection to The Joker... or DOES he :thinking:

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except you GET why Obi Wan can't kill Anakin... Anakin is like a little brother to him that he watched grow up and practically raised himself. Batman not killing the Joker is just pure selfish cowardice in my opinion. He has NO emotional connection to The Joker... or DOES he :thinking:

I mean it's a bit more complicated than that with Batman because he doesn't just want to become another vigilante killer, and puts the worst offenders in Arkham so that hopefully at least they can get treatment and get better, but you know with America's lack of mental health funding that doesn't work out :p.

Plus Gordon has even told him in one of the comics that if Batman ever did cross the line and kill someone, Gordon would use every resource available to him to bring him in. Even after The Joker shoots his daughter, and tortures him, he wanted Batman to bring him in by the book. 

Batman doesn't kill The Joker because of his morals, and sense of justice. Obi-Wan doesn't kill Anakin because he's like family to him.