Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this wasn’t quite bad enough to really be bad, but also not quite good enough to really be good. It was just sorta there. Had a few very cool moments but mostly just spun its wheels and really doesn’t hold up to any scrutiny at all. 

• True 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Feel free to share 'em!

You asked for it. I didn't read throughly through the thread so sorry if any of these elements have been discussed ad nauseam.

Where to begin? This is bridging a gap between III and IV but it mostly makes you go "wait, but then why in ANH did [pick a character] do/say X?" For example, why does Leia in ANH send a message to Obi-Wan like he's some distant vaguely-known-to-her guy instead of the second father he becomes to her in this series? "Hi Obi-Wan. Remember my adoptive dad? You were bros once so can you help me?" Instead of "Waddup Obi? It's me. That spunky little girl who taught you to love and have purpose in your life. Remember that adventure we had together where we saved each other's lives on several occasions and bonded and you told me about my real parents? Good times. So can you return the favor?"

Or like why does Obi-Wan in ANH teach Luke about lightsabers like it's something he's never seen when he probably learned plenty about them being chased through his home and the desert by some evil monster weilding one?

Or why do Obi-Wan and Vader act like they haven't seen each other in ANH since RotS? Because they hadn't! That's why! Why are we forcing this?

I think we would have had a much more cohesive story if it was just protecting Luke and his identity from inquisitors on a remote planet. But instead they need to find an excuse for him to planet hop and fight Darth Vader several times. So dumb.

Then there are the plot holes and nonsensical things within the show itself. Reva's big plan for revenge was to get Darth Vader alone and pull a lightsaber on him--a notoriously loud and bright flashy weapon? And to get revenge she kills several innocent people in her wake? Then when she fails she's going to kill people who are important to Obi-Wan? Maybe because she knows they're Vader's kids? But who cares because he certainly doesn't? Also that actor was TERRIBLE. Yikes she was bad.

Vader can pull down a ship with the force but can't pull down an identical one seconds later? What? He can lift somebody and drag them through fire but not if a robot is picking the same victim up?

Way too many "Yeah s/he's probably dead but I'm not going to verify" scenes. Then in the final fight between Obi and Vader, Obi-Wan walks away and lets him live? AGAIN? After seeing what he has become? The answer to "if you could go back in time to kill baby Hitler would you?" is always complicated and morally gray. But the answer to "If you could go back in time and stab Fuhrer Hitler through the heart would you?" is and always will be "yes". So why didn't he kill Vader when he could and should have?

Okay now that I got that out of my system... The good stuff.

It's hard to believe that somebody could be more associated with Obi-Wan than Alec Guinness, but McGregor was easily the highlight of the prequels and carries that greatness into this show. He is fantastic and defines Obi-Wan now for me.

I'm glad Hayden Christensen still gets to play in this universe after George Lucas did him dirty. It was great seeing him again in both forms.

I liked the Tala character and actor. I think she's Alara Sand in Game of Thrones? Not sure and can't be bothered to look it up. But that was a good character.

And even though it's one of several things in the show that breaks continuity, that final fight between Kenobi and Vader was fucking awesome. Well shot and visually cool. And, ironically, I can't think of a more badass and victorious moment for Darth Vader in all of the Star Wars content I've consumed than that moment when he is at Kenobi's mercy, his helmet half shredded and his voice breaking between Christensen and Earl-Jones. "Anakin is gone. I am what remains. I am not your failure Obi-Wan. You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. *I* did." With that evil smile. So fucking awesome.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:35 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

You asked for it. I didn't read throughly through the thread so sorry if any of these elements have been discussed ad nauseam.

Where to begin? This is bridging a gap between III and IV but it mostly makes you go "wait, but then why in ANH did [pick a character] do/say X?" For example, why does Leia in ANH send a message to Obi-Wan like he's some distant vaguely-known-to-her guy instead of the second father he becomes to her in this series? "Hi Obi-Wan. Remember my adoptive dad? You were bros once so can you help me?" Instead of "Waddup Obi? It's me. That spunky little girl who taught you to love and have purpose in your life. Remember that adventure we had together where we saved each other's lives on several occasions and bonded and you told me about my real parents? Good times. So can you return the favor?"

Or like why does Obi-Wan in ANH teach Luke about lightsabers like it's something he's never seen when he probably learned plenty about them being chased through his home and the desert by some evil monster weilding one?

Or why do Obi-Wan and Vader act like they haven't seen each other in ANH since RotS? Because they hadn't! That's why! Why are we forcing this?

I think we would have had a much more cohesive story if it was just protecting Luke and his identity from inquisitors on a remote planet. But instead they need to find an excuse for him to planet hop and fight Darth Vader several times. So dumb.

Then there are the plot holes and nonsensical things within the show itself. Reva's big plan for revenge was to get Darth Vader alone and pull a lightsaber on him--a notoriously loud and bright flashy weapon? And to get revenge she kills several innocent people in her wake? Then when she fails she's going to kill people who are important to Obi-Wan? Maybe because she knows they're Vader's kids? But who cares because he certainly doesn't? Also that actor was TERRIBLE. Yikes she was bad.

Vader can pull down a ship with the force but can't pull down an identical one seconds later? What? He can lift somebody and drag them through fire but not if a robot is picking the same victim up?

Way too many "Yeah s/he's probably dead but I'm not going to verify" scenes. Then in the final fight between Obi and Vader, Obi-Wan walks away and lets him live? AGAIN? After seeing what he has become? The answer to "if you could go back in time to kill baby Hitler would you?" is always complicated and morally gray. But the answer to "If you could go back in time and stab Fuhrer Hitler through the heart would you?" is and always will be "yes". So why didn't he kill Vader when he could and should have?

Okay now that I got that out of my system... The good stuff.

It's hard to believe that somebody could be more associated with Obi-Wan than Alec Guinness, but McGregor was easily the highlight of the prequels and carries that greatness into this show. He is fantastic and defines Obi-Wan now for me.

I'm glad Hayden Christensen still gets to play in this universe after George Lucas did him dirty. It was great seeing him again in both forms.

I liked the Tala character and actor. I think she's Alara Sand in Game of Thrones? Not sure and can't be bothered to look it up. But that was a good character.

And even though it's one of several things in the show that breaks continuity, that final fight between Kenobi and Vader was fucking awesome. Well shot and visually cool. And, ironically, I can't think of a more badass and victorious moment for Darth Vader in all of the Star Wars content I've consumed than that moment when he is at Kenobi's mercy, his helmet half shredded and his voice breaking between Christensen and Earl-Jones. "Anakin is gone. I am what remains. I am not your failure Obi-Wan. You didn't kill Anakin Skywalker. *I* did." With that evil smile. So fucking awesome.

tldr