Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

8 hours ago, Brick said:

After that same thing happened in Rebels with Ahsoka, I was hoping it would happen again here, and was quite pleased when it did. Really emphasizes the tragic figure Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is, and the emotion on Obi-Wan's face really sells it. Kenobi's biggest character flaw is that he just cannot bring himself to kill Anakin, who was like a brother to him, no matter how many people that might lead to die. It's like Batman and The Joker almost in that regard. 

I love Rebels, and that scene in Rebels, but I think the Kenobi show did it just a bit better overall. The start of the scene in Rebels is great though. Hearing Anakin’s strained voice call out to Ashoka, as it confirms what she feared to be true.  But the rest of the scene in rebels felt a little rushed, like the two needed a bit more time. Time they were able to allow for in Kenobi. Difference between something made for Tv and something made for streaming. 

I don’t mind that Kenobi didn’t kill Vader, because he can’t canonically speaking. It just makes him seem so short sighted by simply walking away when he could clearly end thing. It almost plays like since he’s admitting Anakin is already dead he no longer feels like killing Vader. He’d have killed Anakin though. To me if he sensed Luke in danger either while buried in rocks or about when he said “then my fried is truly dead”, it make more sense for him to leave instead of finishing Vader. Then he’s making a choice to save a life instead of taking one. 

I put the following in a spoiler tag because it’s kind of long. But its my thoughts on Vader’s motivations. 

Now, maybe I’m reading too much into the scene and the acting between the two, but I’ve seen some online say Vader was just trying to get into Obiwan’s head. And both in Legends and canon in the comics that’s how Vader has seen it. That he as Vader killed Anakin. Killed him because he was too weak and the only way he could reach his potential power as Vader. BUT I wonder if in this moment, beaten again, in pain, being reminded of who he was, and all he’s done to become what he is, I wonder if he’s trying to get Obiwan to kill him. 

He sounds more pitiful than angry and hateful. More self loathing than anything else. And I don’t think he believes he can beat Obiwan in this fight any longer. So when he yells out for Obiwan it isn’t to continue to the fight, but to end his suffering. Not Vader, but maybe the only and last cry for help Anakin can make from behind the mask. 

Vader didn’t go into the fight intending to die. He intended to prove his superiority and get his revenge. However if he is going to be killed, I think he wants it to Obiwan.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Don't forget, he THOUGHT he killed Anakin on Mustafar. It's not that he's unwilling to do so, but yeah like @Spawn_of_Apathy said, he doesn't have to now. He feels Anakin is dead.

He thought he killed him, but due to his injuries, not because Obi-Wan went up to him and cut his head off. He could have easily strolled down and executed him but just assumed he's definitely gonna die and walked away. He knows Anakin has now turned to the dark side and he knows the force can do some crazy shit to sustain one's life if need be yet he doesn't make sure to definitively kill him. It's a fair assumption on Obi-Wan's part that Anakin probably will die how he's left him there on Mustafar, but there is a reticence not to execute him, and he doesn't, and to me that says he can't properly kill Anakin. Hell, Obi-Wan specifically goes for the limbs, not a killing blow, when Anakin jumps, and the lava accidentally lights Anakin on fire, that wasn't something Obi-Wan planned. Honestly, it doesn't seem like he was trying to kill him but just stop him. Disarming Anakin by cutting off his limbs instead of killing him and later not just simply executing him shows that I think.

There's probably some: "I can't kill the father of Luke and Leia no matter how bad he is" as well in all of this given his connection to them.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

He thought he killed him, but due to his injuries, not because Obi-Wan went up to him and cut his head off. He could have easily strolled down and executed him but just assumed he's definitely gonna die and walked away. He knows Anakin has now turned to the dark side and he knows the force can do some crazy shit to sustain one's life if need be yet he doesn't make sure to definitively kill him. It's a fair assumption on Obi-Wan's part that Anakin probably will die how he's left him there on Mustafar, but there is a reticence not to execute him, and he doesn't, and to me that says he can't properly kill Anakin. Hell, Obi-Wan specifically goes for the limbs, not a killing blow, when Anakin jumps, and the lava accidentally lights Anakin on fire, that wasn't something Obi-Wan planned. Honestly, it doesn't seem like he was trying to kill him but stop him.

Isn't deliberately not rescuing him when he's clearly in a dire situation sort of like killing him?

I mean, you're the lawyer. :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Isn't deliberately not rescuing him when he's clearly in a dire situation sort of like killing him?

It is, but it's the Batman version of killing/not killing someone. I mean, the fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance, if you want to guarantee no reprisals, best to confirm the kill, John Wick-style. Not rescuing someone however is not the same as actively killing someone though. I think in Obi-Wan's mind he's choosing to kill Anakin, definitely, but a part of him is also not doing everything he can to make sure it's done either. The whole fight Obi-Wan is holding back, arguing with Anakin, trying to talk him back from the ledge, but Anakin's already jumped. Why cut off Anakin's limbs instead of just killing him? Why walk away instead of finishing the job? He's clearly torn, even Ahsoka can't get it done either.

• Halal 2

21 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Don't forget, he THOUGHT he killed Anakin on Mustafar. It's not that he's unwilling to do so, but yeah like @Spawn_of_Apathy said, he doesn't have to now. He feels Anakin is dead.

Maybe it’s me, but I would think if he truly believed Anakin was dead, then there’s no emotion or attachment preventing him from killing Vader. Like killing a zombi that used to be your best friend. 

In a way it’s why I like the line where he just refers to him as “Darth”, the title, but not by the Vader name. He still doesn’t see Anakin as dead. He sees that Anakin doesn’t want to be a good person any more. Anakin is throwing away the life he had, the person he was, the good and kindness that he once was to obtain and keep the title of “Darth”. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It is, but it's the Batman version of killing/not killing someone. I mean, the fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance, if you want to guarantee no reprisals, best to confirm the kill, John Wick-style. Not rescuing someone however is not the same as actively killing someone though. I think in Obi-Wan's mind he's choosing to kill Anakin, definitely, but a part of him is also not doing everything he can to make sure it's done either. The whole fight Obi-Wan is holding back, arguing with Anakin, trying to talk him back from the ledge, but Anakin's already jumped. Why cut off Anakin's limbs instead of just killing him? Why walk away instead of finishing the job? He's clearly torn, even Ahsoka can't get it done either.

I suppose you're right. Obi-Wan passive aggressively killed Anakin. :p

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brick said:

I mean it's a bit more complicated than that with Batman because he doesn't just want to become another vigilante killer, and puts the worst offenders in Arkham so that hopefully at least they can get treatment and get better, but you know with America's lack of mental health funding that doesn't work out :p.

Plus Gordon has even told him in one of the comics that if Batman ever did cross the line and kill someone, Gordon would use every resource available to him to bring him in. Even after The Joker shoots his daughter, and tortures him, he wanted Batman to bring him in by the book. 

Batman doesn't kill The Joker because of his morals, and sense of justice. Obi-Wan doesn't kill Anakin because he's like family to him. 

Except Batman HAS killed. It's the Joker specifically he won't kill.

Rationally, yes. Emotionally, no. I eat meat which supports the killing and bad farm conditions of animals. I've rationally made my peace with that. But I'd have a real fucking hard time killing the animals myself.

• True 2

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except Batman HAS killed. It's the Joker specifically he won't kill.

A few issues here and there, and especially old issues before the whole idea of modern Batman is that he does not kill I wouldn't really count. 

16 minutes ago, Brick said:

A few issues here and there, and especially old issues before the whole idea of modern Batman is that he does not kill I wouldn't really count. 

Moderrn Batman HAS killed as well. Rarely, but he's done it. Most Notably, he shot Darkseid and he left KGBEast to die... TWICE :p I have all of these books. These characters were ressurected in different ways but his intent was to kill, each time. Joker is the one exception. What's notable about these as opposed to all of the other times he's killed is that these are all the current, modern Batman and all of these instances, as far as I know, are still in continuity.

1 hour ago, legend said:

Rationally, yes. Emotionally, no. I eat meat which supports the killing and bad farm conditions of animals. I've rationally made my peace with that. But I'd have a real fucking hard time killing the animals myself.

when the machine uprising happens, please remember that some of us people are animals too. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

I get where you're coming from as I've had very similar inner conflicts, but this would be the equivalent of watching the cow get stuck in a (lava) river and not pull them out. The difference is slight but the opportunity was there for Obi-Wan.

I get where you're coming from as I've had very similar inner conflicts, but this would be the equivalent of watching the cow get stuck in a (lava) river and not pull them out. The difference is slight but the opportunity was there for Obi-Wan.

I dunno. I can completely imagine stabbing, decapting, etc. someone looking up at you with the face of someone you love being quite a bit harder than walking away. *Especially* once they're defenseless.

• True 1

18 hours ago, legend said:

I dunno. I can completely imagine stabbing, decapting, etc. someone looking up at you with the face of someone you love being quite a bit harder than walking away. *Especially* once they're defenseless.

Especially when you practically raised that person from childhood. Shit, Luke couldn't bring himself to kill him and he didn't even KNOW Vader personally. He sensed the conflict in Vader. The same conflict we actually saw in this last conversation with Obi Wan. Shit, the Emperor even sensed it.

• True 1

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
darth-vader-1-thumb-1656360879099.jpg?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

If you liked the Disney+ show Obi-Wan Kenobi, you need to read the Star Wars comic Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith by Charles Soule and Giuseppe Camuncoli.

Knowing the way Disney lawyers work, they're going to claim this as justification for why they don't have to pay Hayden Christensen for his acting because Darth Vader killed him in Episode 3, which means he can't actually be alive to collect a paycheck in a movie where he's not alive any longer. They're okay with paying James Earl Jones and David Prowse, but that's it. No freeloaders allowed per Disney v. Johansen.

• Confused 1

On 6/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, brucoe said:

Knowing the way Disney lawyers work, they're going to claim this as justification for why they don't have to pay Hayden Christensen for his acting because Darth Vader killed him in Episode 3, which means he can't actually be alive to collect a paycheck in a movie where he's not alive any longer. They're okay with paying James Earl Jones and David Prowse, but that's it. No freeloaders allowed per Disney v. Johansen.

nana changing GIF

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

that is funny, because I’m not creating an account or logging in to instagram. 

I don't believe you need to. You can just click the link and the video will play. For whatever reason Instagram links don't embed properly. 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

I don't believe you need to. You can just click the link and the video will play. For whatever reason Instagram links don't embed properly. 

ah, well another reason instagram sucks. 

that would probably be funnier if I thought the source material for the dialog was funny. Thanks though. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I finished this just now, and I enjoyed it. Its far from perfect, but it's a lot of fun. 

This is pretty much exactly where I land on this show as well - I certainly enjoyed my time with it well enough, but I'm unlikely to ever revisit it again.

I still maintain that I'm quite glad that they didn't go with the original "darker" storyline because with all that's going on in the world, I'm just not in the proper mindset for that type of narrative tone from Star Wars.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is pretty much exactly where I land on this show as well - I certainly enjoyed my time with it well enough, but I'm unlikely to ever revisit it again.

I still maintain that I'm quite glad that they didn't go with the original "darker" storyline because with all that's going on in the world, I'm just not in the proper mindset for that type of narrative tone from Star Wars.

Agreed.

I don't even have much more to say about it. Theres no real depth, but I got to spend some time with characters I love in a Galaxy spanning romp that doesn't change star wars or it's characters in any way, but was just fun. Plus, the fight was worth it. That whole scene was incredible, I just wish they'd have played it as one long scene.

• Like 1