Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Obi-Wan believes he killed Anakin on Mustafar. Even in the Legends canon, he learned Anakin survived later on.

So you're telling me for the last 10 years no one heard of Vader? Because if obi wan had heard Vader was active then he shouldn't be surprised Anakin was alive 

6 minutes ago, Oberon said:

So you're telling me for the last 10 years no one heard of Vader? Because if obi wan had heard Vader was active then he shouldn't be surprised Anakin was alive 

he’s been living on tatooine in the outer rim for 10 years 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Oberon said:

Obi Wan was on the outer rim where the Empire doesn't really have a presence and he's also living the life of a total recluse. It's not far fetched to believe he just didn't know because he completely divorced himself from Galactic affairs. It's not hard to believe at all especially when they go out of their way to show you what his life has been like. Not once did I see him pick up a Galactic newspaper.

15 minutes ago, Oberon said:

I mean the show makes it pretty clear Obi-Wan doesn’t get out much, and at least one local was willing to shit talk an Inquisitor which they wouldn’t have done if they’d known anything about them. 

• True 1

I thoroughly enjoyed these first two episodes quite a bit (incredibly ridiculous chase scene aside)!

I really do have to say that the transition of Star Wars to a television format has been a surprisingly welcome success (at least for me), because I can look forward to spending time in this universe that I enjoy so very much a couple of times a year with "smaller", more intimate experiences rather than waiting x number of years for the release of an "epic scale" film.  If anything, I'm connecting more with the shows on an emotional level than the films.

Also, I'm fairly certain that I'll be quite glad/relieved that they didn't go with the original "darker" tone for the show, because I really do think the last thing we all need right now is more of that in our entertainment, especially after real-world events this week (the opening scene of the first episode was "tough" to watch).  And besides, Star Wars shouldn't be all that dark anyway (with the necessary exception being Revenge of the Sith).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Was Joel Edgerton really at the end of ep3 when he took Luke or was that a digital fix for show cannon?

It was him

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Watched part one. Easily the best season premiere of the SW shows. The prequel recap shows what I’ve always thought…not really a terrible main storyline when you boil it down to the essentials.

Yeah for some time my generally feeling has been that the prequels were actually quite good aside from terrible acting (which given the caliber of the actors I'm sure has more to do with Lucas just skipping through the scenes without many takes). I used to think the plot of the empire taking over was overly contrived in how so many people fell for it, but these days it feels pretty true to life :p 

• True 2

I watched that famous person fan cut of the prequel series a few years ago and I enjoyed the movies. I can't even remember my previous viewings of the prequels as they we so long ago. As a kid, I definitely did not hate them and enjoyed them a lot. 

• Halal 1

Let's not kid ourselves - the prequels are bad. There's good in them, but I've returned to them numerous times and it's always painful. Boring cinematography except when there's action scenes, flat line deliveries of terrible dialogue, poor acting as a result for the most part, overly plastic and CG looking sets and environments, dulling things further even when there's good designs there.

The prequels are bad. I was 13 when Episode 1 came out, now to be fair I was already a fan of the OT, and even at 13 I didn't like much about Episode I, which in retrospect given it's shot on more locations with more miniatures and matte work feels better and more real than Episodes II and III. I know there's been a partial turn of opinion amongst younger people particularly about the prequels but no, they are bad. Every time I show someone new who isn't into Star Wars the prequels (obviously after showing them the OT), there's so much cringe-y stuff and I can always see it on their faces, and we all know the particularly egregious scenes. Like I said, good in there, good ideas and sometimes good to great execution of individual scenes, but there's a reason they have been the butt of jokes since the moment each has come out. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Let's not kid ourselves - the prequels are bad. There's good in them, but I've returned to them numerous times and it's always painful. Boring cinematography except when there's action scenes, flat line deliveries of terrible dialogue, poor acting as a result for the most part, overly plastic and CG looking sets and environments, dulling things further even when there's good designs there.

The prequels are bad. I was 13 when Episode 1 came out, now to be fair I was already a fan of the OT, and even at 13 I didn't like much about Episode I, which in retrospect given it's shot on more locations with more miniatures and matte work feels better and more real than Episodes II and III. I know there's been a partial turn of opinion amongst younger people particularly about the prequels but no, they are bad. Every time I show someone new who isn't into Star Wars the prequels (obviously after showing them the OT), there's so much cringe-y stuff and I can always see it on their faces, and we all know the particularly egregious scenes. Like I said, good in there, good ideas and sometimes good to great execution of individual scenes, but there's a reason they have been the butt of jokes since the moment each has come out. 

Other than the acting, which is bad, I really don't think the prequels are that bad. I can't, for example, imagine thinking the ST is any better at least. Though since there is universal agreement that the last is terrible I suppose that doesn't say much! :p 

• Haha 1

Finally watched the first two

As others have said. The prequel recap 100% kinda confirms that the idea and actual story arc for them was fantastic. Just the execution was dreadful. 

I think the reason Leia running away looks a little silly and she’s hard to catch is they’re adding small amounts of force ability to her. I think that’s what’s happening when she’s “reading” people as well. 

Soooo no one is gonna complain how Obi Wan is now a grumpy old man who doesn’t wanna help people and is resistant to the force? Cause I remember an awful lot of people having issues with a certain other Jedi doing things “not in his character” lol

Kinda odd Obi Wan is still checking in on Luke waiting for signs he’s ready to be trained. At this point isn’t he older than Anikan was? Obi Won not so great at learning lessons I guess haha. 

• Halal 2

15 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Soooo no one is gonna complain how Obi Wan is now a grumpy old man who doesn’t wanna help people and is resistant to the force? Cause I remember an awful lot of people having issues with a certain other Jedi doing things “not in his character” lol

No doubt there are people who couldn't be satisfied because they just wanted their Luke power fantasy, but speaking for myself, my problem with that whole thread was just that I don't think they succeeded in execution of getting you from the Luke we knew -- the one who never gave up on friends and family no matter how evil they seemed -- to the one who broke and gave up. I think they *could* get you there, but they didn't manage it with only a very short recap of events. In contrast, we much more lived Obi-Wan's pain in EP3 that drove him away and while he largely become disconnected, he still had a long-game with Luke in mind the whole time. He even comments on it to Owen.

In short, EP3 did the work to make you understand how Obi-Wan gets to where he is in this, whereas TLJ didn't with their short recap. 

To be fair, I don't envy the position RJ was put in to try and figure out what to do with Luke and explain how he got there as a character, all within the confines of telling a story about other characters. Abrams really set him up for failure :p 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, legend said:

No doubt there are people who couldn't be satisfied because they just wanted their Luke power fantasy, but speaking for myself, my problem with that whole thread was just that I don't think they succeeded in execution of getting you from the Luke we knew -- the one who never gave up on friends and family no matter how evil they seemed -- to the one who broke and gave up. I think they *could* get you there, but they didn't manage it with only a very short recap of events. In contrast, we much more lived Obi-Wan's pain in EP3 that drove him away and while he largely become disconnected, he still had a long-game with Luke in mind the whole time. He even comments on it to Owen.

In short, EP3 did the work to make you understand how Obi-Wan gets to where he is in this, whereas TLJ didn't with their short recap. 

To be fair, I don't envy the position RJ was put in to try and figure out what to do with Luke and explain how he got there as a character, all within the confines of telling a story about other characters. Abrams really set him up for failure :p 

Don't you just love when people bait this old topic over and over again? That being said I think you summed it up well.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Gotta love a certain, vocal segment of the fandom having a real issue with young Leia being precocious for what I am sure are totally sane reasons!

How do you consistently find yourself in places where you hear these trashy takes on EVERYTHING 😂

Yup. Loved the scene with

Cousin: "You don't need to be nice to your droids. You don't need to be nice to lower life forms." 

Leia: "Well then I guess I don't need to be nice to you." 

I literally said to myself, yeah that's Leia. 

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

How do you consistently find yourself in places where you hear these trashy takes on EVERYTHING 😂

Twitter dot com :p

Kidding aside there are some people I follow who post 90 - 95% sane shit, but are into stuff like Star Wars or tabletop gaming and while most of them don't directly contribute to the narrative by retweeting, they'll screenshot / crop to get the point across.

The crypto stuff on twitter is straight self inflected wounds, I confess. :p

11 hours ago, Brick said:

Yup. Loved the scene with

Cousin: "You don't need to be nice to your droids. You don't need to be nice to lower life forms." 

Leia: "Well then I guess I don't need to be nice to you." 

I literally said to myself, yeah that's Leia. 

Would’ve hit better if she called him a nerf herder too.

On 5/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, Greatoneshere said:

The prequels are bad. I was 13 when Episode 1 came out, now to be fair I was already a fan of the OT, and even at 13 I didn't like much about Episode I, which in retrospect given it's shot on more locations with more miniatures and matte work feels better and more real than Episodes II and III. I know there's been a partial turn of opinion amongst younger people particularly about the prequels but no, they are bad.

I was like 6 or 7 when EP1 came out. I prefer 1-3 over 7-9

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

I was like 6 or 7 when EP1 came out. I prefer 1-3 over 7-9

Preferring 1-3 over 7-9 isn't . . . really much of a competition. The sequel trilogy is a better technical showcase in every respect (the filmmaking in TLJ blows any of the "walk and talk" or "sit and talk" boring scenes of the entire prequel trilogy, sans action scenes), the acting is better, and the dialogue is snappier. I was 13 when Episode 1 came out. I was already a fan of the OT but I'm clearly primed to like the prequels over the sequel trilogy if it's about when I was a kid. But nope, TFA and TLJ are simply better films, better paced, more exciting, better acted and edited, than the prequels, and I think TFA ruined the tone of Star Wars (to be fair, the prequels already ruined Star Wars for me, so I was pretty forgiving by the time TFA came out).

Now TROS . . . I might put some of the prequels over that. :p 

• True 1

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Now TROS . . . I might put some of the prequels over that. :p 

The Phantom Menace is easily better than Rise of Skywalker. I don’t even think it’s close.

Also…

Good on them for saying it, fucking depressing that it needed to be said.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Yeah I saw their post on Instagram

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

And thought, "oh shit did people start posting racist stuff about her", and then I remembered what world we're in and thought, "oh right, of course they did". 

IMO (ignoring OT, which of course is on top):

1. TLJ VIII
  2. TFA VII
  3. TPM I
  4. ROTS III
  5. AOTC II
  6. TROS IX

HOWEVER, I'd say that while the ST is much more watchable than the PT simply due to all the factors @Greatoneshere mentioned above (even including how much of a turd TROS is), the PT is far more important to Star Wars due to the better lore it introduced. The PT has a good core of ideas but everything else about it was completely botched, from 95% of the acting, the directing, the writing, etc. The ST was pretty great on all those things (plot aside) but did pretty much nothing for the lore. 

So if I had to keep one trilogy in the lore and erase the other from existence, I would keep the PT and wipe the ST. That's unfortunate as I think TLJ is top-3 for Star Wars movies.

• Like 1
  • True 1

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

IMO (ignoring OT, which of course is on top):

1. TLJ VIII
  2. TFA VII
  3. TPM I
  4. ROTS III
  5. AOTC II
  6. TROS IX

HOWEVER, I'd say that while the ST is much more watchable than the PT simply due to all the factors @Greatoneshere mentioned above (even including how much of a turd TROS is), the PT is far more important to Star Wars due to the better lore it introduced. The PT has a good core of ideas but everything else about it was completely botched, from 95% of the acting, the directing, the writing, etc. The ST was pretty great on all those things (plot aside) but did pretty much nothing for the lore. 

So if I had to keep one trilogy in the lore and erase the other from existence, I would keep the PT and wipe the ST. That's unfortunate as I think TLJ is top-3 for Star Wars movies.

I'd agree with your order and everything you said - on point.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:36 PM, johnny said:

he’s been living on tatooine in the outer rim for 10 years 

Really it’s going to depend on what makes it into canon. At least in Legends Vader was a very publicized figure for the Empire. On recruitment posters, and used in propaganda, and everything. He was a symbol of the empire’s power and strength. 

now it is possible they(Lucasfilm) decide Vader is none of that, and that outside of the Empire, very little is known of him. And if that’s the case it makes sense that Obi-wan may not have heard or seen anything of him, but people around him are familiar with the Inquisitors. 

there is also the possibility that Obi-wan had heard the name “Darth Vader” used, but assumed the name was being reused. And only in hearing that Vader has been looking for him did he start to realize it is not just a marketing gimmick by the Empire.