Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

Reva Dark Souls rolling around Vader was pretty funny, but also cool to see him totally owning the fight.Ā 

Ā 

It was nice to finally see some motivation and get more backstory for Reva, but I'm sorry the actress just really isn't selling it for me. She's too one note. I'm sure Moses Ingram is a good actress (I hear she's good in Queen's Gambit), but here she's just angry, and isn't really getting a chance to show her range more.Ā 

Who gives a shit what happened Vader held back a fucking spaceship that was blasting off using the force and then fought Reva without even using sabers or offensive attacks. Episode was a lot of fun even if some of the situations didn't make logical sense and I look forward to the final episode. Cool Star Wars shit in there. Seeing Hayden as Anakin in a flashback but acted well unlike with Lucas directing was also great to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Who gives a shit what happened Vader held back a fucking spaceship that was blasting off using the force and then fought Reva without even using sabers or offensive attacks. Episode was a lot of fun even if some of the situations didn't make logical sense and I look forward to the final episode. Cool Star Wars shit in there. Seeing Hayden as Anakin in a flashback but acted well unlike with Lucas directing was also great to see.

Ā 

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at. I think structurally this show is actually bad? But it passes every vibe check so I end up enjoying it in spite of itself. It's not the Star Wars of it all; I don't care about Leia under a trench coat (you cannot convince me that's any "stupider" than Han's hallway Stormtrooper charge from ANH) or people living through lightsaber gut shots (I kind of hope Obi-Wan gets stabbed by THREE lightsabers in the finale), or Bail Organa having spent years of his life resisting what would become the Empire just leaving details about Luke Skywalker on main for anyone to find...

Ā 

I just don't know that the show has a compelling reason to even exist. Say what you will about The Book of Boba Fest but until that show my guy was canonically dead and he's got nowhere that he needs to be; It can kind of skate on that. Rogue One has a stupid and pointless reason to exist, but a least it has something. This? I just don't know. We know where all the previously established characters are going to end up. And that's fine, I don't mind a prequel. But we haven't learned anything about Obi-Wan we didn't already know. Similar to Han in Solo, by the time we meet Leia here she's already strong, smart, sassy, and competent, so I don't know that this works as a Leia origin story.Ā 

Ā 

Or perhaps more succinctly...

Ā 

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This and Boba Fett feel like they are created by 6 year olds in the back yard playing with action figures. Shit just happens with little coherent sense for the sole reason of "I bet this would look cool."

Ā 

I dunno if I'd go quite that far. But this, moreso than BoBF I'd say, feels like its reason to exist is because "it'd be cool to have Hayden and Ewan on screen together again," way more than anything else in the canon.

• True 1

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ā 

I mean I'm enjoying the cool stuff, but this episode felt like pure over-leveled video game power fantasy, and we could have both a good story and cool shit at the same time...

Ā 

1*P9pi-Dk2i9qG-tIDwEWR9w.gif

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ā 

Yeah, this is kind of where I'm at. I think structurally this show is actually bad? But it passes every vibe check so I end up enjoying it in spite of itself. It's not the Star Wars of it all; I don't care about Leia under a trench coat (you cannot convince me that's any "stupider" than Han's hallway Stormtrooper charge from ANH) or people living through lightsaber gut shots (I kind of hope Obi-Wan gets stabbed by THREE lightsabers in the finale), or Bail Organa having spent years of his life resisting what would become the Empire just leaving details about Luke Skywalker on main for anyone to find...

Ā 

I just don't know that the show has a compelling reason to even exist. Say what you will about The Book of Boba Fest but until that show my guy was canonically dead and he's got nowhere that he needs to be; It can kind of skate on that. Rogue One has a stupid and pointless reason to exist, but a least it has something. This? I just don't know. We know where all the previously established characters are going to end up. And that's fine, I don't mind a prequel. But we haven't learned anything about Obi-Wan we didn't already know. Similar to Han in Solo, by the time we meet Leia here she's already strong, smart, sassy, and competent, so I don't know that this works as a Leia origin story.Ā 

Ā 

Or perhaps more succinctly...

Ā 

Ā 

I dunno if I'd go quite that far. But this, moreso than BoBF I'd say, feels like its reason to exist is because "it'd be cool to have Hayden and Ewan on screen together again," way more than anything else in the canon.

Ā 

Eh, BoBF had some crazy shit man. Really felt like it was inspired by Solo's "explain everything about this character" narrative, but on a more dope endeavor. How does Boba get his armor back? Oh, let's get revenge on the Sarlac Pit using the coolest explosive device in all of cinema history. Remember the Rancor? Oh, let's bring it back... then have Boba ride it on a rampage through the city. Why does Boba want to be the Kingpin, because he really doesn't care that much? Eh, we get a one-liner from the Ming-Na Wen saying there was nothing else better to do.

Ā 

But I do feel this Obi-Wan show is worse than BoBF. Outside of Ewan McGregor and little Leia, who are both fantastic in what they are doing, the show is horribly bad. It looks much worse than any other D+ show. The acting is atrocious. The dialogue is meaningless and hollow. And the narrative is nonsensical, sometimes non-existent, and confusing - not to mention uncreative as the show is basically ripping off every plot beat from Jedi: Fallen Order.

• Thanks 1

Well I was dead-ass wrong about the Grand Inquisitor and retconning the Rebels canon. But that's cool. Good job everyone who predicted he'd come back.

Ā 

Vader really does just get more and more powerful each time he's depicted in something. I don't mind that, because conceptually I think heĀ shouldĀ be one of the most powerful Force users of all time, and we really didn't see that enough in the OT. Plus it's just a lot of fun to watch.

Ā 

I agree with others though about the problems. The plot has zero momentum. It was always going to have a hard time because as @Kal-El814Ā said, we know where all the characters end up, and there's not a LOT creatively that you can do within those confines. I knew that going into this, and was onboard simply for getting more Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. This show is really about fangasm moments and it delivers on that to some degree.

Ā 

But damn I wish it were executed better. I'm sorry, but the acting quality, the inconsistent effects, the overly flat sets and just the writing and directing overall just isn't where it needs to be. ThisĀ feelsĀ too much like the money grab it is, like so much of what Disney's stewardship of Star Wars has been thus far, instead of a passion project. Can't help but feel underwhelmed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I don't per se disagree with anything you're saying, it all sounds right to me, I just think coloring in some of the stuff we already knew has been very well done, primarily Obi-Wan's PTSD and internal personal struggles. The show is mostly about seeing more of what we already assumed to be the case, spy missions, Bail Organa being involved on the side, the Rebellion slowly growing bigger from the ashes of the Republic, and filling in some of that is fun even if it doesn't need to exist, and a lot of work they are doing makes the prequels better (well, the ideas behind the prequels, those films will never be good). At the end of the day it's a 6 episode limited series (well, we'll see if it gets a season 2 and what story they could use there) so it's ultimately a fun little excursion like Rogue One if nothing else (though I like Rogue One a lot compared to this show, though this show has had some great fan service moments).Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Reva Dark Souls rolling around Vader was pretty funny, but also cool to see him totally owning the fight.Ā 

Ā 

It was nice to finally see some motivation and get more backstory for Reva, but I'm sorry the actress just really isn't selling it for me. She's too one note. I'm sure Moses Ingram is a good actress (I hear she's good in Queen's Gambit), but here she's just angry, and isn't really getting a chance to show her range more.Ā 

moses ingram has been great. dunno what youā€™re smoking. canā€™t blame her for the lines sheā€™s given.Ā 

I was right that they are using some deepfake-like tech to get James Earl Jones sounding like his younger self. It's the same tech they used for Mark Hamill.Ā 

Ā 

Respeecher-synthesized-a-younger-Luke-Sk
WWW.RESPEECHER.COM

The Mandalorian is a Star Wars television series created by Jon Favreau for the streaming service Disney+. The producers used...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Shocked 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:35 PM, Brick said:

I was right that they are using some deepfake-like tech to get James Earl Jones sounding like his younger self. It's the same tech they used for Mark Hamill.Ā 

Ā 

Respeecher-synthesized-a-younger-Luke-Sk
WWW.RESPEECHER.COM

The Mandalorian is a Star Wars television series created by Jon Favreau for the streaming service Disney+. The producers used...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah the moment I heard it I was pretty sure itā€™s why James Earl Jones sounds significantly younger in Kenobi than he did in Rogue One. Itā€™s not really Jones but AI or something.Ā 
Ā 

kind of scary in a way when you think about it. Disney can make anyone look like anyone and sounds like them too. Itā€™s like a character never has to truly recast, even if itā€™s 50 years after the original actorā€™s portrayal or even death.Ā 
Ā 

ā€¦also, and maybe this is just me, but really weird they didnā€™t de-age Obiwan and Anakin in the flash back. Their faces both show they are clearly not even close to the same age they were pre-Attack of the Clones (SW:Ep2) when that scene took place. Maybe in doing so they wouldnā€™t get the emotional play across their faces they want. And thatā€™s fair.Ā 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:12 PM, Greatoneshere said:

The biggest problem with Reva isn't Moses Ingram, who I also think has been great, but the fact that she's very underwritten. I will say the explanation for her motives in this does retroactively explain some of her actions in previous episodes in a better light.

sheā€™s really the character Iā€™m most interested in, because sheā€™s the only one where I havenā€™t already seen where their story ends.Ā 
Ā 

we know she wonā€™t kill Vader. But we donā€™t know where her story will lead yet. Maybe after this season she numbs around the Galaxy and we end up seeing her in Mandalorian or Ashoka, of whatever show picks up after Rebels to find Ezra (not the DC pedo). Or maybe she dies. Who knows.Ā 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah the moment I heard it I was pretty sure itā€™s why James Earl Jones sounds significantly younger in Kenobi than he did in Rogue One. Itā€™s not really Jones but AI or something.Ā 
Ā 

kind of scary in a way when you think about it. Disney can make anyone look like anyone and sounds like them too. Itā€™s like a character never has to truly recast, even if itā€™s 50 years after the original actorā€™s portrayal or even death.Ā 
Ā 

ā€¦also, and maybe this is just me, but really weird they didnā€™t de-age Obiwan and Anakin in the flash back. Their faces both show they are clearly not even close to the same age they were pre-Attack of the Clones (SW:Ep2) when that scene took place. Maybe in doing so they wouldnā€™t get the emotional play across their faces they want. And thatā€™s fair.Ā 

Ā 

Yeah it was weird to me too that they didn't de-age the actors, but you might be right about the emotions not being conveyed properly.Ā 

13 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

Ummm... They did de-age them in the flashback? You may be saying they didn't do a good job, but they did de-age them, they're just really old... Prequels are almost 20 years old :(

maybe they tried but they did so practically with makeup, and not digitally. Digitally took off more years for Samuel Jackson in Captain Marvel than they were able to accomplish in Kenobi.Ā 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:31 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Ā 

I don't per se disagree with anything you're saying, it all sounds right to me, I just think coloring in some of the stuff we already knew has been very well done, primarily Obi-Wan's PTSD and internal personal struggles. The show is mostly about seeing more of what we already assumed to be the case, spy missions, Bail Organa being involved on the side, the Rebellion slowly growing bigger from the ashes of the Republic, and filling in some of that is fun even if it doesn't need to exist, and a lot of work they are doing makes the prequels better (well, the ideas behind the prequels, those films will never be good). At the end of the day it's a 6 episode limited series (well, we'll see if it gets a season 2 and what story they could use there) so it's ultimately a fun little excursion like Rogue One if nothing else (though I like Rogue One a lot compared to this show, though this show has had some great fan service moments).Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Honestly this show makes me MUCH less excited for Andor, which was one of the shows I was initially most excited about.

Ā 

If they can't give Obi-Wan fucking Kenobi a real raison d'ĆŖtre I don't know what they're going to do for Cassian. Hope I'm wrong.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ā 

Honestly this show makes me MUCH less excited for Andor, which was one of the shows I was initially most excited about.

Ā 

If they can't give Obi-Wan fucking Kenobi a real raison d'ĆŖtre I don't know what they're going to do for Cassian. Hope I'm wrong.

Ā 

I imagine with Cassian all they can do is just bolster his feelings on what kind of rebel he wants to be, a good one or one who does things in the shadows. He's much more of a blank slate than Obi-Wan, I imagine there's a lot more they can do with him, but Rogue One spells out his end and they can't change that.

6 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I'm enjoying it so not super interested in investigating why it might be bad. The best Star Wars falls apart if you think about it for more than 30 seconds so fuck it.

I told a friend of mine the other day that it's waaay past time folks accepted that Star Wars is for kids. Once you go into it with that mindset, it becomes a lot more enjoyable.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:10 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Ā 

I imagine with Cassian all they can do is just bolster his feelings on what kind of rebel he wants to be, a good one or one who does things in the shadows. He's much more of a blank slate than Obi-Wan, I imagine there's a lot more they can do with him, but Rogue One spells out his end and they can't change that.

This is why I wasnā€™t excited at all. Maybe if he was just in the show, but it wasnā€™t about him, then fine. I donā€™t have a strong enough attachment to him as a character to need more back story from him.Ā 

Ā 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:05 AM, Anathema- said:

I'm enjoying it so not super interested in investigating why it might be bad. The best Star Wars falls apart if you think about it for more than 30 seconds so fuck it.

Yeah, itā€™s funny when I see people defend the prequels, but slam Disney Star Wars. The Prequels were so badly written and directed that even the lore additions had to have significant amounts of inference or comics and books to explain them. Ep3 RotS being a major benefactor to other media, like the Clone Wars show.Ā 
Ā 

The amount of mental gymnastics fans go through to claim the prequels or even Empire and Jedi didnā€™t retcon stuff in ANH has always been comical. Yet w/ Disney Star Wars some are so dead set on not just letting it entertain them, but instead taking issue with everything as though it was solely done to spite the fans.Ā 
Ā 

some who raged over the Grand Inquisitor being stabbed in the second ep will probably not admit they were wrong and jumped the gun. lol I wouldnā€™t even be surprised if some claimed Disney ordered reshoots to bring the GI back alive at the end of episode 5 due to the fan backlash.Ā 

Ā 

as much as some fans may want the major shows and movies can never be made just for the fans and require intimate knowledge of every bit of Star Wars lore out there. Thatā€™s why Star Trek has had a rule for a while that if itā€™s not a show or movie, itā€™s not canon. But even with that rule it often feels like their ability to tell an interesting story is being strangled by its own established canon and fan expectations.Ā 

Ā 

23 hours ago, Reputator said:

Ā 

Looks better.

Ā 

Ā 

so much better. Gone are the puffy, old man cheeks that he clearly didnā€™t have pre-AotC.Ā 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That was my problem with pretty much ALL of the characters in Rogue One.

it may seem hypocritical from me because of how much I LOVE the animated Clone Wars series, as many of the big players in that show have very defined ends to their story already established before the show was even made.

Ā 

and while I do really enjoy the added nuance being added to Anakinā€™s character arc and the war itself the biggest standouts to the show are Ashoka and the Clones, not all of whom do we know where their story ends.
Ā 

Andor would need to have something substantially new and interesting to make me care more. Ā 

18 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Iā€™m enjoying it as mindless Star Wars fun. Thereā€™s a lot of wasted potential, but Iā€™m just going with it.Ā 

thatā€™s how I try to approach most Star Wars content. I do sometimes enjoy going deep with the lore, and prefer when continuity is maintained through a franchise, but I try not to expect creators to be beholden to it.Ā 
Ā 

it would be easier in many ways if Lucas Film would move away from the movies 1-9 time era. Give themselves the breathing room to create new characters and new adventures. Where we donā€™t need a Skywalker or some other fan favorite character taking over the story.Ā