Fallout (Amazon Prime) - more than 65 million viewers since in the 16 days since debut

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Seeing some of the takes online about how "Bethesda and Todd Howard hate New Vegas and deleted it with this show" and I'm wondering how on earth these people navigate the world around them. Jesus Christ.

It's the same people, who, when they see a black or female jedi, go "why is Disney abandoning what makes a jedi a jedi?!"

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's the same people, who, when they see a black or female jedi, go "why is Disney abandoning what makes a jedi a jedi?!"

Now "people" are upset that there is a female space marine in warhammer 40k

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

* Adeptus Custodes (which are different than Space Marines)

WARHAMMER40K.FANDOM.COM

"These men are my bodyguards, their lives forfeit to the guarantee of my physical safety. Of their loyalty to me there shall be no question nor doubt. I, and I alone, shall have the authority to stand in judgement over them. No other commander shall they have in battle nor in service. None shall bar them from me and none shall hamper or stall their mission. So it is decreed!" — Ancient declaration made by the Emperor of Mankind during the Age of...

Someone accused Gary Chalk and Louise Sugden of being a tourists on Twitter the other day and I just can't.

And if I said that only you would understand. 🤓

This is @Zaku3 erasure. :nottalking:

On 4/15/2024 at 1:29 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Finished the show today.

Broadly, I really liked it. Again it absolutely nails the BGS Fallout aesthetic so if that's part of what you liked about the games, it's very faithfully represented in the show. The main three characters are all pretty well written and interesting. Their development over the course of the series feels earned and pretty well done. Overall the plot moves pretty briskly and is pretty interesting, even if there's a lot of beats that are familiar to someone who's spent a lot of time in this game universe.

Some spoilery thoughts ahead...

Reveal hidden contents

Minor quibbles aside, it's a pretty fun, good looking show. Interested to see where the second season goes.

As far as your spoiler thoughts, I agree.

Spoiler

I think the idea that Vault-Tec would partner with other companies to make specific vault experiments is fine. I can even get on board with the idea that Vault-Tec would drop the bomb themselves, but I don't think the story got to the point that it would make any kind of sense. I personally think they should have shown a post-peace Valut-Tec on the verge of irrelevance and collapse, setting off bombs as a last option to survive as a company.

Alternatively they would have needed to show why Vault-Tec would think the post-nuclear apocalypse would benefit them. Sure, vaults are a fun way to run experiments and to survive in the event of the worst case scenario, but even management seemed to only have things to lose if things went perfectly according to plan. Becoming an underground overseer sure seems like a step down from being a successful manager at the world's largest company in an idyllic retro-future. Maybe if Vault-Tec was in charge of the wasteland it would have made some semblance of sense.

As it stands, the reason they portrayed was just "capitalism." I don't think capitalism is a terrible villain, but bringing on a nuclear apocalypse destroys the vast majority of your customer base, not to mention the entire economy. How is Vault-Tec going to win capitalism when you destroy capitalism along with everything else?

Yeah, this is a show where plenty of crazy stuff happens and ultimate realism isn't exactly the point, but even in the wacky context of the show I didn't feel like they did a great job at selling that reveal.

32 minutes ago, TwinIon said:
Spoiler

How is Vault-Tec going to win capitalism when you destroy capitalism along with everything else?

Spoiler

Capitalism does that all the time? Destroying pathways so that others can't ever compete with them, tying things up in legal terms (the code for the device) so that no one can have access to tech that competes with them. Merging with challengers to stay in control. Their customer base wasn't poor people, their customer base are the people who bought vault space. Everything the villain-dad-dude said is a version of corporate BS I've heard.

WWW.IGN.COM

The Fallout show is officially canon and Todd Howard and Jonathan Nolan explain how the show fits into the greater timeline set down by the games.

Bombs Drop - Year: 2077

Fallout 76 - Year: 2102

Fallout 1 - Year: 2161

Fallout Tactics - Year: 2197

Fallout 2 - Year: 2241

Fallout 3 - Year: 2277

Fallout: New Vegas - Year: 2281

Fallout 4 - Year: 2287

Fallout TV Show - Year: 2296

id assume when FO5 comes it would either be between FO4 and TV or take place after.

44 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Hide contents

Capitalism does that all the time? Destroying pathways so that others can't ever compete with them, tying things up in legal terms (the code for the device) so that no one can have access to tech that competes with them. Merging with challengers to stay in control. Their customer base wasn't poor people, their customer base are the people who bought vault space. Everything the villain-dad-dude said is a version of corporate BS I've heard.

Spoiler

The capitalism snake eating its own tail is a thing that happens for sure, but the destruction of almost all infrastructure and the murder of almost all people just to see whose capitalism cuisine reigns supreme was a bit much. We'll see if Vault Tec itself or the corpo conglomerate is the one that actually popped off the bombs, but still. For their plan to "work" literally everything had to go completely correct for possible centuries and the continuance of the plan also depends on Bud's Buds waking up, seeing the world is a fucking hellscape, and each of them deciding that's still the best possible idea.

Again we're dealing with radioactive zombie junkies, power armor, and robo butlers, it's not like I'm expecting something airtight or to deep commetary, but that's just silly.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I don't remember any of the Vault-Tec execs really saying anything that registered beyond the kind of evil ultra-capitalist you'd see in other media. I just didn't think the logic held from "unlimited greed" to "lets blow up the world." If anything, blowing up the world is the antithesis of hyperbolic greed because you'd be destroying everything that you might otherwise acquire.

That's why I feel like something else was missing. There isn't a straight line from "I want more money" to "I should end the world," but I don't think it's even all that hard to draw one. Just put in some extra reason that it's a good option for them. Maybe it's a lasting peace making their business irrelevant or some expectation that they'd rule the world after nuclear apocalypse. Maybe a broader desire to reset civilization in their own image or maybe they only intended to nuke some other country hoping to drum up business and keep the fear train rolling.

This isn't a show that requires rock solid logic, but I thought it needed a little bit more than what they gave us.

Also on the spoiler topic with @SuperSpreader and @TwinIon, if I was going to be really precious about the Fallout lore I'd say...

Spoiler

... the notion of wiping the earth clean to make a capitalist battleground doesn't really gel at all with 6 games (not counting Tactics) of lore establishing that Vault Tec used the vaults for kooky social experiments. Like who's coming out of Vault 92 ready to bootstrap?

Again, not a big deal, it's just silly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also on the spoiler topic with @SuperSpreader and @TwinIon, if I was going to be really precious about the Fallout lore I'd say...

Reveal hidden contents

Again, not a big deal, it's just silly.

Spoiler

Wasn’t vault 92 a mind control experiment to ultimately have “perfect soldiers” in terms of following orders unquestionably? The white noise was meant to “implant combat suggestions” iirc and when the vault dwellers went into the trance they basically became mindless running off of the direction from the white noise to where they were almost superhuman. They used musicians so they could hide the white noise in their headphones during recording sessions.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Finished the series last night. My biggest disappointment with the show was/is:

Hide contents

no super mutants. 

:( 

Well, not yet. :]

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Amazon's Fallout TV show has - a few minor controversies aside - been a hit with fans since arriving last week; but whi…

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:
Spoiler

just didn't think the logic held from "unlimited greed" to "lets blow up the world." If anything, blowing up the world is the antithesis of hyperbolic greed because you'd be destroying everything that you might otherwise acquire.

Spoiler

I don't see it that way. I really feel corporations would do this if you let them. They already do to a certain extent! You've got US Arms manufacturers smuggling arms S of the border for $$$ over innocent people there literally empowering villains.

Corporations are people.

Short term profits over long term sustainability.

Boy's clubs

Epstein's clients weren't people who didn't benefit from corporate greed. 

Just on and on. 

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Hide contents

I don't see it that way. I really feel corporations would do this if you let them. They already do to a certain extent! You've got US Arms manufacturers smuggling arms S of the border for $$$ over innocent people there literally empowering villains.

Corporations are people.

Short term profits over long term sustainability.

Boy's clubs

Epstein's clients weren't people who didn't benefit from corporate greed. 

Just on and on. 

Spoiler

I think there's an enormous difference between doing evil for money and destroying the world in a nuclear holocaust.

If you destroy the world, there's no more money! If you destroy the world, there wouldn't be anything to spend your money on even if there was money. If you destroy the world, your own quality of life as a high powered executive of a mega-corp declines precipitously, even if you survive and everything else goes to plan. This isn't even a case of short term profits over everything, because after the bombs drop there cease to be profits immediately.

I won't cap the scale of evil that you can blame on unhinged greed. If this was further future sci-fi and you had a whole other world worth of people that could be enslaved or killed for profit, sure, not a stretch to imagine an evil-mega corp sacrificing them all for profit. The problem with destroying your own world is there is no longer any profit in it. They presented basically no upside to the cabal of corporate heads other than the ability to run a bunch of social experiments in vaults. It's more or less "destroy the world just to see what happens," which just feels

It is worth remembering that we don't have the whole story. We can't be entirely sure that Valut-Tec themselves nuked everything or that such wide scale destruction was their plan. It could well be that they triggered a worse fallout than anticipated, or they sabotaged peace to ensure their own relevance. The show hints pretty hard that they dropped the bombs we see go off, but it doesn't lay it out directly.

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:
Spoiler

I think there's an enormous difference between doing evil for money and destroying the world in a nuclear holocaust.

If you destroy the world, there's no more money! If you destroy the world, there wouldn't be anything to spend your money on even if there was money. If you destroy the world, your own quality of life as a high powered executive of a mega-corp declines precipitously, even if you survive and everything else goes to plan. This isn't even a case of short term profits over everything, because after the bombs drop there cease to be profits immediately.

Spoiler

You know all these billionaires are buying bunkers on private islands for only themselves and their family right now? Like in real life. 

I think you underestimate our capacity for evil. The problem is you're thinking like a normal person with a sense of ethics and morals and compassion, you have to imagine being a rich narcissist idiot with way more options at your disposal. 

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

cool s2 confirmed. probably two years though 

A no-brainer decision. It’s popular, it’s well-regarded, and it got people playing the games again (Steam is showing high numbers of players for all the games in the series).

Now just give me my New Vegas remaster you bastards.

• Halal 2

Gonna start this soon, pumped hearing the impressions, did not expect this to be so well received. I figured since this will potentially get me in the mood for more FO, and with the sales, I got FO76 on steam yolo

I just watched the first two episodes and this is pure Fallout. I wasn't planning on initially watching it as it didn't meet some of my basic criteria, but damn it is pretty fuckin' good despite that. Shit makes me want to play Fallout 3 since the show is clearly repurposing it.

Only real complaints so far are pretty minor. Shame the ghoul doesn't have a smoker's voice, and the power armor is hella goofy in movement.

One more episode to go. It's very good. I haven't played the games in so long, but it does hit a lot of things that I actually do remember. 

Can someone explain episode 'The Trap' to me. I was starting to drift off and didn't quite get...

Spoiler

Why they were experimenting on humans, in vault 4, and why it wasn't a 'bad' thing. Also, what was up with the Flame Mother chant?

All in all, I love it. It felt like things slowed down a bit in the last 2 episodes, but really looking forward to the finale.

I thoroughly enjoyed this first season immensely with my only minor quibble being that there should've been a single additional episode (or slightly longer existing episodes) to make the eighth one not seem so exposition dump-y.

It's gonna be an excruciating wait for season two!

3 hours ago, Derek said:

Can someone explain episode 'The Trap' to me. I was starting to drift off and didn't quite get...

Hide contents

Why they were experimenting on humans, in vault 4, and why it wasn't a 'bad' thing. Also, what was up with the Flame Mother chant?

From what I understand:

Spoiler

Vault 4 was no longer experimenting on humans, but the scientists who used to lead vault 4 had already done a lot of damage. The current residents of Vault 4 were those who were experimented upon - they overthrew the original scientists experimenting on them, hence why the Overseer of Vault 4 is a person with one eye now. They are now simply trying to keep alive those who were experimented on, they aren't continuing the experiments. Basically, it seemed like a bad vault, but it wasn't. The Flame Mother chant was done by those who were from the surface but had joined Vault 4 - clearly surface dwellers who are supporters of Moldaver's New California Republic, hence the chanting/support even from within the vault. Getting naked and all that stuff? That's just Fallout. :p