UPDATE: DAVID JAFFE HAS TOTALLY NORMAL, NOT-UNHINGED-AT-ALL REACTION TO NEWS OF "TWISTED METAL" REVIVAL

Brian

Twisted Metal  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want?

2. 2. If Remake, which one?

• Twisted Metal
    • Twisted Metal 2
    • Twisted Metal Black

Oh wow, this thread title was a weird one for me. I was like, "Twisted Metal?" Why does that sound so familiar? I completely forgot that this was a (very successful) game series. Huh. 

I don't have much experience with this franchise but I remember in the mid '90s a buddy of mine had the original Playstation and this was one of his handful of games...Resident Evil and maybe Crash Bandicoot were his only other games. I don't remember the gameplay all that well, but I remember the music was kind of awesome. 

On topic...uh, I don't care. lulz 

I'm down for a reboot, starting with the first one. I miss Twisted Metal and games of it's ilk like Vigilante 8. But wouldn't we need David Jaffe back? He's what made the original trilogy, Black, and Twisted Metal PS3 good as I understand it. I know his last game Drawn to Death wasn't good but yeah.

Remember when they made Rogue Trip and Critical Depth during their dispute with Sony? Those were fun though Critical Depth was hard to control.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I owned it on Playstation. It was certainly better than the garbage that was Twisted Metal 3.

The only reason Twisted Metal 3 wasn't as good was because they didn't have access to the previous source code because it was owned by SingleTrac. So they had to build it from the ground up. There's an argument to be made that 4 was better than 3 because 4 fixed 3's issues to a degree.

Also I checked and David Jaffe was only involved with the first 2, not the third, then Black, etc.

22 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The only reason Twisted Metal 3 wasn't as good was because they didn't have access to the previous source code because it was owned by SingleTrac. So they had to build it from the ground up. There's an argument to be made that 4 was better than 3 because 4 fixed 3's issues to a degree.

Also I checked and David Jaffe was only involved with the first 2, not the third, then Black, etc.

1/2/Black/PS3 and I think Head-On.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Remember when they made Rogue Trip and Critical Depth during their dispute with Sony? Those were fun though Critical Depth was hard to control.

And now I have that damned Mighty Mighty Bosstones song stuck in my head again.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Brian changed the title to SOURCES: DESTRUCTION ALL-STARS STUDIO LUCID HANDED TWISTED METAL REVIVAL

David Jaffe had a completely normal, not-unhinged-at-all reaction to the news of the Twisted Metal revival:

twisted-metal-david-jaffe.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

David Jaffe calls series revival report “hurtful” but offers his support…

Jaffe claimed he could damage PlayStation should he decide to share confidential information in his possession, but insisted that he would not.

“I know things. I know where the bodies are buried. Hell, I know who pulled the trigger before they buried the fucking bodies,” he said. “I’m not saying I’m going to give shit away that’s going to hurt people, because I don’t want to be a dick, but… you should’ve called. You should’ve called.”

He added: “Twisted Metal was near and dear to my heart, I made two franchises for you guys, I’ve never said anything on my stream that has been anything other than honest and accurate. There are things that I haven’t said… I could literally play you guys.

“Let’s say this – and I would never reveal these things – but let’s just say that you’re morons Sony if you think that a lot of your meetings are unrecorded and unshared out in the world, because that’s not the case. But I would never share that.”

Jaffe claimed that the team currently working on the Twisted Metal TV series “stay in better contact with me than the PlayStation people,” noting that they phoned him about the casting of actor Anthony Mackie “the day after”.

• True 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to UPDATE: DAVID JAFFE HAS TOTALLY NORMAL, NOT-UNHINGED-AT-ALL REACTION TO NEWS OF "TWISTED METAL" REVIVAL

Pretty sure he was barred from the industry? I have no smoking gun as to why, but he was one of the devs who didn't take a stand against gamergate at the time (though to be fair he seemed to have a change of heart soon after). Since then he's become increasingly unhinged with more than a few questionable but sometimes entertaining rants on social media.