8 dead in multiple shootings in Atlanta, Asian women appear to have been targeted

f55f442e-Robert-Aaron-Long.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

The suspect charged with eight murders after attacks on several Atlanta-area massage parlors had attended rehab for sex addiction and felt extreme guilt about his sexual urges, two former roommates said.

And we're off folks... Fox News is going all in on the sex addict stuff. This is their current big lead story.

Yesterday, they weren't highlighting this story at all. One of their 5 featured main articles was them bitching and moaning about how some liberal writer was spinning the story, but not the actual story itself.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah I immediately started singing that song in my head. whiskey for my men, beer for my horses. Never thought I'd see that come up in a congressional hearing but here we are in the year of our Lord 2021

Bitch we're in the Common Era (CE), get that year of our Lord shit outta here! :p 

We're starting to tread into weird territory. I think it is very possible to be more attracted to people of a certain race and not have that be a form of racism.

It's also possible for the attraction to come from some very dark and weird places... so yeah, people are complicated.

9 minutes ago, ort said:

We're starting to tread into weird territory. I think it is very possible to be more attracted to people of a certain race and not have that be a form of racism.

Yup

9 minutes ago, ort said:

It's also possible for the attraction to come from some very dark and weird places... so yeah, people are complicated

Yup

Some men see Asian women  as submissive and there for can exert control over them and thats where the racist fetishism comes in.

30 minutes ago, ort said:

It's also possible for the attraction to come from some very dark and weird places... so yeah, people are complicated.

I think the problem is there can be a really thin line between "I tend to like certain types of features" (which is what I think the non-racist version of "I tend to be more attracted to certain races" boils down to) and the racist version of what we're talking about.

Yeah. I mentioned in another thread how we had a work place incident when one of my coworkers called another one racist because she said she only dates white guys. You get into murky territory there. Sometimes it's just who you're attracted to, which is a chemical part of your brain that you can't help; it's who you are. Sometimes it comes from a "forbidden fruit" mentality. You want it because it feels exotic and dangerous. And the thing is, those two aren't mutually exclusive, it can be both. But when it veers more into the latter territory, it is absolutely racist.

The thing is BOTH of those things can lead to negative outcomes when their society deems something wrong. Think of how many vehemently homophobic people are secretly gay. In most cases, that isn't coming from a place of fetishism, it's just who they are and they're ashamed of it, so they lash out at others. In having an 'other race' fetish, it comes from a place of racism already (thinking of someone as 'other' or 'exotic' etc), but that can be really confusing to the psyche of an already racist person. And most racists have very, very fragile minds. Racism itself is an exercise in cognitive dissonance, it's like your entire worldview is a stack of cards. When things no make sense get mad hit stuff make go boom.

2 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

White attacker gets paramedic treatment and a gurney

Asian woman victim gets an ice pack

Not saying the woman isn't in pain, but looks like white boy got fucked up good. I don't think you hold up your arm that way if it isn't seriously broken.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Not in the least.

Any form of "fetishism" reduces the person that it's directed towards to nothing more than an object of desire.  If anything, it's perhaps the most dehumanizing form of racism.

The problem is that it can lead to increased interaction with those whom you deem lesser. Unless you're a sociopath, that leads to a lot of confusing feelings when your world view is built on a lie. That can be incredibly dangerous.

I wasn’t generally attracted to brown Latin women prior to when my wife and I dated, but I think my fondness of Latin culture expanded greatly due to our marriage and I definitely find Latin women more attractive than other race/ethnic groups as I get older. I’m not sure the line between that and the sort of thoughts that lead to murdering 8 people is THAT fine

There are fetishes that have nothing to do with race that are unhealthy, or that have healthy and unhealthy manifestations. Indeed I think talking about his mass murder from this perspective only shows how there was nothing healthy about his regard for women. We don't have to talk about everything from an abstract perspective, this asshole killed eight people.  I don't think saying his issue wasn't harmless is that much of a stretch. 

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I wasn’t generally attracted to brown Latin women prior to when my wife and I dated, but I think my fondness of Latin culture expanded greatly due to our marriage and I definitely find Latin women more attractive than other race/ethnic groups as I get older. I’m not sure the line between that and the sort of thoughts that lead to murdering 8 people is THAT fine

The difference is you're approaching it from a positive direction - you have humanized their culture to a point where it feels like home. From the OTHER direction, i.e. it starts as something that feels wrong or dangerous and you get off on that, that's where the problems start. You feel bad about yourself for wanting it, and that makes you lash out.

When you've been taught your whole life, subliminally or not, that other races or sexes are inferior, and you find that you are attracted to them, that can have dangerous consequences in people that already have fragile world views (almost every racist). 

16 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm not buying the argument that fetishizing a race is in itself racist.

It's no more so than fetishizing women is sexist.

Or fetishizing amputees is ableist.

Alright - how about this?

Any form if fetishization is a potentially dangerous psychological disorder that should be treated.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Alright - how about this?

Any form if fetishization is a potentially dangerous psychological disorder that should be treated.

Ok that's more consistent.

But now you've gone full circle and are in the same camp as ultra conservative anti-sex religious nutbags

57ba336bd7fcc.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

• Confused 3