"Switch Pro" incoming

Jason

Only a 720p screen is a little disappointing.  But if they can do something DLSS-related for quality, perhaps that could tighten up the aliasing.  OLED should also be nice.

Gotta be doing something like that to get to 720p.  Or maybe there's some brains in the dock?

... This thing is going to be crazy to find if they intend to make it a holiday release like the PS5/XSX were.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Only a 720p screen is a little disappointing.  But if they can do something DLSS-related for quality, perhaps that could tighten up the aliasing.  OLED should also be nice.

Gotta be doing something like that to get to 720p.  Or maybe there's some brains in the dock?

... This thing is going to be crazy to find if they intend to make it a holiday release like the PS5/XSX were.

Comment from the article:

I doubt it will be DLSS as we currently know it as that uses tensor cores that the switch almost certainly won't have.

The current ShieldTV has very good AI based upscaling. So, my guess is this for the revision.

Smaller bezels so that the chassis is otherwise the same to house the 7" OLED. OLED means no-backlight which means the whole display unit is thinner (especially if it's laminated, the existing LCD on the switch is pretty far below the outer screen.) Thinner display frees up internal space for a redesigned thermal system that allows them to squeeze a bit more performance out of the X1 when docked to employ a similar AI upscale as the ShieldTV 2019.

There's just no real good choices out there to replace the SoC in the switch and I really doubt anything with significant performance improvements could be out there sampling at this point and not have someone catch wind of it. So, this really points to a tweaked X1.

Maybe they'll do another die shrink? 16nm is still pretty big by today's st andards.

6 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Unless they are making an actual follow up - who is this console really for?  

Well there were 3 core Nintendo DS models, that's not counting the 2DS & 3DS, so ...

Always a market for their stuff, that's why Nintendo is always marching to the beat of their own drum.

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Unless they are making an actual follow up - who is this console really for?  

I’ve been holding off on playing specific Switch games I already own, because I don’t want to deal with egregious performance and resolution drops.  I also want BotW2 without the same.

41 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’ve been holding off on playing specific Switch games I already own, because I don’t want to deal with egregious performance and resolution drops.  I also want BotW2 without the same.

Just curious. What games have egregious performance in your opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I hope they release at $300 but I’m guessing $400. I need a new switch, mine sounds like a jet engine when it boots, I think one of the fans is busted.

Weird. Mine is silent. Docked or handheld. 

52 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Age of Calamity most recently.  I've been holding off on Xenoblade 2's standalone DLC as well, because of the dramatic resolution dips + ugly sharpening of the base game.  It's the game I want to play most that I refuse to.  I want my next experience with that world to look better.

There's a bunch of ports that run poorly supposedly, but I haven't bothered with any of them.  Some like Overcooked 2 and Bloodstained sound like a real shame considering how well they'd otherwise fit the form factor.

I'm skeptical about newer releases running well too.  BoTW2, No More Heroes 3, etc.

Smash has garbage input lag, but I doubt a revision will fix that.  But if it does, I'll play it.  I bounced off it almost immediately.

41 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Age of Calamity most recently.  I've been holding off on Xenoblade 2's standalone DLC as well, because of the dramatic resolution dips + ugly sharpening of the base game.  It's the game I want to play most that I refuse to.  I want my next experience with that world to look better.

There's a bunch of ports that run poorly supposedly, but I haven't bothered with any of them.  Some like Overcooked 2 and Bloodstained sound like a real shame considering how well they'd otherwise fit the form factor.

I'm skeptical about newer releases running well too.  BoTW2, No More Heroes 3, etc.

Smash has garbage input lag, but I doubt a revision will fix that.  But if it does, I'll play it.  I bounced off it almost immediately.

About finished with this one on the Switch. I don't know where it was at launch, but I probably wish I had gotten it on PC. Obviously I like that it's portable, but the 30fps was a real bummer, and load times are pretty bad. Like just switching rooms can sometimes take 2-3 seconds depending on the location, and after a death it can take 30 seconds to reload. Not sure if a new Switch would really help. Seems like bad programming.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Comment from the article:

Well, that’s just some dude commenting on the article. Nvidia already has a apu with tensor cores, they would need to repurpose it but they also could be making a new apu that debuts with this, or some kind of custom job in between. 

Nvidia could definitely get Nintendo a chip that has tensor cores, it’s just a matter if this revision was worth the effort for it. I expect it to happen with whatever actual hardware upgrade they do eventually anyway.

The AI on shield tv is just software running off the same chip as the switch, if that’s all they want to do they should technically just be able to do it as a software update on the existing switch.

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

BotW really chugs in some places.

I figured that would be corrected on the Switch, but I guess not. I’m playing through on the Wii U right now and a few villages are just horrendous.

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

I figured that would be corrected on the Switch, but I guess not. I’m playing through on the Wii U right now and a few villages are just horrendous.

Some of the villages are rough, as are parts of the Lost Woods and when certain weather effects are happening.

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Age or Calamity runs terribly.

Bowsers Fury is reduced from 60fps to 30fps in handheld mode

Xenoblade 2 runs at like 3DS res at 15fps at times and is super low res all the time

Yoshi’s resolution is like 540p and blurry

Links Awakening remake has huge 60 to 30fps locked drops throughout the overworld

Kirby is locked to 30fps both modes

Pokemon Sword and Shield has a terrible frame rate in the wild areas

This is just some of the Nintendo stuff, third party stuff is often harder to critique because it’s usually toned down from other more powerful systems, but obviously all that stuff can look and run much better.

Then you just look at the recent stuff Calamity’s poor performance, Bowsers Fury having its fps cut in half from Odyssey, Pokémon Legends is early but the fps looks pretty bad..the writing is kind of on the wall that it’s time for an upgrade or things will get rough.

Its no knock to the switch, you know how much I love the platform, it’s just what happens with all these systems around the time they hit 4+ years as developers try to make better looking games on power that has been tapped out.

I’m okay with keeping the current switch platform another two years, release something then that can do ports of the ps5/xsx gen stuff like switch could do for last gen. But man, I’m ready for something in between to make these games run smoother while we wait.

Man, I will obviously fucking need this thing day one but yeah I am NOT looking forward to trying to buy one, especially if it’s a holiday release. I hope preorders are opened up early like some time in late summer at least. 

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man, I will obviously fucking need this thing day one but yeah I am NOT looking forward to trying to buy one, especially if it’s a holiday release. I hope preorders are opened up early like some time in late summer at least. 

Dude...you got a ps5 at launch. You'll be fine with getting the switch.