"Switch Pro" incoming

Jason

I love my Switch, but I'm not sure I'd be all that interested in an upgraded model if it's just a bump to 4K.  Nintendo's first party games all have phenomenal art styles that look fantastic even at lower resolutions.  If they will still be releasing their games on the original model for the time being, I'll just stick with that.

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

I mean, I have zero to play the switch handheld. Never have outside of testing it out. I'm not gonna take it to bed with me or something.

I swore that off until I got addicted to Slay the Spire.  And so I bought Hades there, knowing that it’d be the same deal. 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've only played Switch in handheld but I would never buy an indie on it because they are so expensive compared to anywhere else.

For the right type of game and a strong recommendation, I’ll bite.  Like once a year, if that.

5 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I love my Switch, but I'm not sure I'd be all that interested in an upgraded model if it's just a bump to 4K.  Nintendo's first party games all have phenomenal art styles that look fantastic even at lower resolutions.  If they will still be releasing their games on the original model for the time being, I'll just stick with that.

Not Xenoblade 2.  Not Age of Calamity.  I’m ready for better framerates and not having to worry about smear-tier resolution dips.  I also don’t trust BotW2 to run well on the og.

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A $400 price tag -- the equivalent of the all-digital PS5 -- is quite...something.  I'll give 'em that!

For some reason it never crossed my mind that it WOULDNT be $400! No matter what’s inside it, they would probably slap on $100 just to make it seem that whatever it is, is fancy.

I’ll get one whatever since better switch is better switch but it would be sweet if for $400 that means it’s actually a nice piece of kit.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

500 hours played in Animal Crossing, it sucks you shouldn't play it. Be like @best3444

I think it's because I absolutely HATE handheld gaming that I haven't played my switch. I think my last game was Zelda Link's Awakening. Before that it was Astro Chain. Then I played Mario Odyssey and BOTW. All while playing docked. I understand it's appeal and love their first party games. Overall, it's just not my thing. Especially Animal Crossing. :p

I'll buy a Switch Pro simply for BOTW 2.

I must have played more games on the Switch then I just listed. My memory blows at this point. 

I think it would be so weird to play Switch on a TV. I'm not against it, I just think it would feel weird. It's best as a handheld, IMO. 

Kinda sad Playstation gave up on handheld gaming. I'd probably play more PS5 if it had a portable option. I can't even remember the last time I turned on my PS5, now that I think about it. I just can't bring myself to actually sit down on my couch and play a game while practically tethered to my TV. 

Back on topic; if the rumors pan out and the Switch Pro is revealed in the next few days, I'll be curious to see if they reveal a price. I'm cool with getting a mid-generation upgrade, but the price has to be right. And I'd want some new features too. Even something dumb like Home Menu themes would get me on board. 

In terms of the placeholder price. I'm not sold nintendo would be that crazy to go for $400 (sure they'll sell but will hit a limit). I do think a $50 price hike will happen to $350 but if they do $400, they need to sell a dockless version of the pro that is closer to $300.

41 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I think it would be so weird to play Switch on a TV. I'm not against it, I just think it would feel weird. It's best as a handheld, IMO. 

I can’t imagine not playing some games on the TV, or vice versa.

To reference the two games I brought up earlier, Xenoblade 2’s sharpening filter looks horrid with handheld mode’s resolution base, but is semi-tolerable on a TV.  Age of Calamity is poorly optimized on the TV, but the handheld cutbacks make the framerate almost decent.

34 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Kinda sad Playstation gave up on handheld gaming. I'd probably play more PS5 if it had a portable option. I can't even remember the last time I turned on my PS5, now that I think about it. I just can't bring myself to actually sit down on my couch and play a game while practically tethered to my TV. 

It's kind of sad because they could reasonably shrink a PS4 into a portable form and it would be on the same power level of a switch pro. Then it would instantly have a massive library and intice jpn devs who don't want to give up on ps4 development. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It's kind of sad because they could reasonably shrink a PS4 into a portable form and it would be on the same power level of a switch pro. Then it would instantly have a massive library and intice jpn devs who don't want to give up on ps4 development. 

That would be a wildly compelling handheld and it's crazy to me that Sony just sort of gave up on it and the entire Japanese market.

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Playing Switch on the TV is the best way to experience the game, framerate  and resolution for Switch...

Handheld is just for convenience and portability for playing anywhere while the game still holding a reasonable resolution and framerate. It's not the ultimate way to play the console. 

But I know millions love handheld gaming and that is why Switch continues to dominate in sales.

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Playing Switch on the TV is the best way to experience the game, framerate  and resolution for Switch...

Handheld is just for convenience and portability for playing anywhere while the game still holding a reasonable resolution and framerate. It's not the ultimate way to play the console. 

Yeah but, that's just, like, your opinion, man. 

I would always rather play on a TV. The only thing is that most HH games look like ass on the big screen. I had the GBA adapter for GC and the PS Vita TV thing so I could play on the TV while sitting back and relaxin' with a controller. I always feel super bunched up when I play on a HH. Like the gif below.

XiJFPBU.gif

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I would always rather play on a TV. The only thing is that most HH games look like ass on the big screen. I had the GBA adapter for GC and the PS Vita TV thing so I could play on the TV while sitting back and relaxin' with a controller. I always feel super bunched up when I play on a HH. Like the gif below.

XiJFPBU.gif

you are supposed to chill back on a recliner or laying down why are you sitting up

33 minutes ago, Bacon said:

XiJFPBU.gif

Gotta lean back and relax, mang. 

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

you are supposed to chill back on a recliner or laying down why are you sitting up

I HATE laying down while playing games. It makes this impossible 

5158939915dc2787eb32bd833152a0cb.png

If you can't do this then you can't get into the game and thus you are preforming worse. Laying down leaves you hard stuck in causal mode. 

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If you can't do this then you can't get into the game and thus you are preforming worse. Laying down leaves you hard stuck in causal mode. 

omg playing like that looks awful

Just now, stepee said:

omg playing like that looks awful

No. It is boss killer mode. It is Nameless King phase 2 mode. It separates the Facebook moms from the gamer boys. You aren't getting into it if you are laying down. It's just facts. You'll never go 16-0 in CoD 4 SnD with the M16 laying down like a baby bruh. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No. It is boss killer mode. It is Nameless King phase 2 mode. It separates the Facebook moms from the gamer boys. You aren't getting into it if you are laying down. It's just facts. You'll never go 16-0 in CoD 4 SnD with the M16 laying down like a baby bruh. 

I feel like to understand this post would mean entering a terrible place I want no part of.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Got my doctorate in classical piano.  Slouching forward like that is an impediment that causes aches, tension and injury over time.

If you’re leaning forward, better to do it with a straight back and rotate at the hips.  Otherwise, it’s probably better for you to lean back.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Got my doctorate in classical piano.  Slouching forward like that is an impediment that causes aches, tension and injury over time.

If you’re leaning forward, better to do it with a straight back and rotate at the hips.  Otherwise, it’s probably better for you to lean back.

Yeah, we're talking about gamer chad mode here. Not piano bitch mode. You'd have a negative KDR if people did what you are spouting. 

• Haha 1