"Switch Pro" incoming

Jason

My reluctance to upgrade to a Switch with improved battery life has finally paid off.  Would be nice if this new model can use the same docks, but somehow I have a feeling Nintendo will do their thing and say, nope, it needs a new one.  

• 1 month later...
https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.am
ASIA.NIKKEI.COM

Boom in paid subscriptions helps to drive gaming device's success

In addition, Nintendo will release a follow-up Switch model capable of better graphics. This will be the first such offering since the 2019 release of the Nintendo Switch Lite.

In the previous fiscal year through March 31, stay-at-home demand brought about by the pandemic fueled blockbuster sales of the social game "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and the new "Monster Hunter" title.

Nintendo appears to have broken a new consolidated profit record in fiscal 2020. Such an earnings report would echo the results from fiscal 2007, when the company released its two hit devices the Wii and the DS.

Switch successor sounds more like their next generation console rather than just a Switch Pro. I wouldn't be opposed to that if they make it compete with the SeX and PS5 (even if a bit weaker to account for portability if they continue that, which I'm sure they would). 

I wish they would make it close to competing with the xsx and ps5 but I'm pretty positive that would cost too much? 

If they can make it equivalent to the Xbox One X and PS4 that would be pretty cool. 

Either way, I'll be buying this whenever it's released. I say next Fall.

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

I wish they would make it close to competing with the xsx and ps5 but I'm pretty positive that would cost too much? 

If they can make it equivalent to the Xbox One X and PS4 that would be pretty cool. 

It more than likely would cost too much, and the battery would last about an hour. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

The best mobile SoC out there in both CPU and GPU performance is currently Apple's M1. Anandtech put's that a bit below a GTX 1650. If I'm reading this right, Tom's scores the 1650 at about half the 2080, which is probably the best comparison we have to a Series X, but slightly above the 1060, which is roughly PS4 Pro specs. This is all very rough equivalencies, but I think it's fair to say that a high end mobile chip could compete with a PS4 Pro or original Xbox One/PS4.

Of course the cheapest M1 product is $800 and we haven't seen an updated nVidia ARM SoC that competes with that. The M1 also has a bunch of stuff that a gaming SoC wouldn't, like thunderbolt support, 16 cores of Neural Engine, and probably more CPU power than is necessary, so a gaming focused competitor might be able to compete at a lower price.

If nVidia really wanted to, I think og Xbox One / PS4 like performance is possible, especially if they use some kind of DLSS like tech, but I'd guess we'll see something slightly below that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brick said:

It more than likely would cost too much, and the battery would last about an hour. 

I know. A man can dream, though. :p

49 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The best mobile SoC out there in both CPU and GPU performance is currently Apple's M1. Anandtech put's that a bit below a GTX 1650. If I'm reading this right, Tom's scores the 1650 at about half the 2080, which is probably the best comparison we have to a Series X, but slightly above the 1060, which is roughly PS4 Pro specs. This is all very rough equivalencies, but I think it's fair to say that a high end mobile chip could compete with a PS4 Pro or original Xbox One/PS4.

Of course the cheapest M1 product is $800 and we haven't seen an updated nVidia ARM SoC that competes with that. The M1 also has a bunch of stuff that a gaming SoC wouldn't, like thunderbolt support, 16 cores of Neural Engine, and probably more CPU power than is necessary, so a gaming focused competitor might be able to compete at a lower price.

If nVidia really wanted to, I think og Xbox One / PS4 like performance is possible, especially if they use some kind of DLSS like tech, but I'd guess we'll see something slightly below that.

Overall I get your point but a lot of what you said went over my head. I'm clueless on video cards and computers in general these days. 10-12 years ago I was a pc gamer. Since then I've been strictly console. Thanks for the breakdown, though.

@stepee understands everything you said lol

I’m curious if buying ARM will help nvidia in time to create something that surprises people. Even if it’s two years away I guess it’s still going to be too soon for any advancements they make because of having them in house. 

GPU wise they really only need to catch up to the S and with DLSS in the equation, half of that should suffice to keep downgraded ports coming. I feel like that shouldn’t be a problem in two years or so to make that happen. CPU will be a lot harder I think since the S still has a pretty decent one, but we will see how hard they hit that this gen I guess.

I could see though a situation where you have a Switch 2 that makes games look about as good as the Series S via dlss, which would sort of put it in even a better position this go around.

idk what they do about storage tho 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I know. A man can dream, though. :p

Overall I get your point but a lot of what you said went over my head. I'm clueless on video cards and computers in general these days. 10-12 years ago I was a pc gamer. Since then I've been strictly console. Thanks for the breakdown, though.

@stepee understands everything you said lol

IM NOT A NERD

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

She said September - October but didn't mention year 2022!

If a new Metroid comes out this year (that isn't a re-release of an old game) I'll buy you a cock ring.

I will actually hold you to that. 

• Shocked 1

I don't think I've even touched my Switch in a year, but if BOTW2 looks much better on the Pro I'll probably end up buying one.

Very interested in what kind of chip nVidia has cooked up for this thing. The original switch was seemingly thrown together with whatever old tech was available at that point. With the Switch now being a certified phenomenon, it could well be worthwhile to put some real effort into it this time.

I look forward to the disappointment when people realize it’s not that powerful and games will still look like switch games but just a slightly better frame rate or resolution.

System is probably even using a 2+ year old Tegra chip like the x2 (x1 is actually really old by now).

:)

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I look forward to the disappointment when people realize it’s not that powerful and games will still look like switch games but just a slightly better frame rate or resolution.

System is probably even using a 2+ year old Tegra chip like the x2 (x1 is actually really old by now).

:)

I wouldn't call DLSS upscaling to ~4K a slight improvement.  Many Switch games can't even keep 900p when docked.

It's best to expect 30fps games getting the 60fps treatment.  But all the leaks point to the resolution bump being substantial.

55 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I wouldn't call DLSS upscaling to ~4K a slight improvement.  Many Switch games can't even keep 900p when docked.

It's best to expect 30fps games getting the 60fps treatment.  But all the leaks point to the resolution bump being substantial.

I don't see that fully happening to be honest. There is still a bandwidth cost to the whole process and while an x1 can do 4k the switch actually ran underclocked from the x1 in the shield. I just feel if a game is really going to run at 4k even upscaled the games will not really look that much better. 

So in my opinion, I think people should temper their expectations on the switch pro, it will be a nice upgrade but not what I think people are really hyping themselves for (i foresee another new 3ds, which for the most part only really brought improved framerate in most instances).

A new 3ds level improvement would actually be pretty nice. It was a decent bump, just everything was still so underpowered it almost didn’t matter since nothing looked great by that point with that low res screen.

Just give me 720p native for everything handheld instead of all the 540pish and make frame rates hit their targets and I’m good for this.