Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14 May 2021) OT - Badassfully Remastered

Pikachu

Relive the legend of Commander Shepard in the highly acclaimed Mass Effect trilogy with the Mass Effect™ Legendary Edition.

Includes single-player base content and over 40 DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 games, including promo weapons, armors, and packs – remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.

The updated trilogy launches May 14 on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation®5, as well as on PC via Origin and Steam.

• Pikachu changed the title to Mass Effect Legendary Edition Official Reveal Trailer (Launching May 14)
8 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'd give a left leg for a semi-linear story mode with all of the mining/scavenging cut out of it for after I do the first proper playthrough and just wanna run through again without the side stuff affecting the outcome.

I'll probably do the paragon run legitimately, then use a trainer to cheat my way through the renegade playthrough.

I'm curious to know if they did anything to change the games mechanically or if this really is just a HD texture pack.

Some good info in here on a lot of the changes being made. Doesn't look quite as extensive of a remaster as I would have hoped like I had mentioned in the other thread we had, but those were high hopes, and understandable that not all my wishes wouldn't make it in. Still this does look like a nice upgrade. No multiplayer from 3 unfortunately, and the source code for Pinnacle Station corrupted years ago so that won't make it in either. 

38 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'd give a left leg for a semi-linear story mode with all of the mining/scavenging cut out of it for after I do the first proper playthrough and just wanna run through again without the side stuff affecting the outcome.

I wouldn't count on that for consoles, only Square seems to include QoL changes that dramatic. 

On the other hand...

63-1-1452634599.jpg
WWW.NEXUSMODS.COM

Auto win mini games. Single probe planet scan

It looks like they did lots of great work on rendering and uprezzing textures -- looks like the low-poly characters might be the one area that I wish they had spent some time on.

Disappointing that they lost the Pinnacle Station DLC source, so it won't be included. :(

I am a little concerned about how the gameplay will hold up though....

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Really? I bet they’re still good. 

I dunno, I don’t think they’ve suddenly become bad games or anything. I just don’t think the shooting was ever that great to begin with in any of them, there’s a lot of filler in ME1 and ME2 specifically. And I feel like game design has, in general, moved past what drove a lot of the stuff in ME2 and ME3, where there’s just straight up, very obvious, if X then Y, character specific quests. I remember the loyalty missions specifically feeling very much like a grocery list, and the same way with whatever the “good ending meter” for ME3 was.

Long winded way of saying that I’d wager that for most people, the gameplay isn’t what is most compelling about Mass Effect, and there’s a lot of gameplay that just isn’t especially interesting to go through to get to the good bits.

But maybe I’m way off base, who knows.

I think Kal is mostly correct regarding gameplay, but for people who are excited to replay these games, just being back in that world with those characters is likely the bulk of the appeal. I don’t care if the shooting is poor, as long as I can do it with my homie Wrex by my side. 

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I dunno, I don’t think they’ve suddenly become bad games or anything. I just don’t think the shooting was ever that great to begin with in any of them, there’s a lot of filler in ME1 and ME2 specifically. And I feel like game design has, in general, moved past what drove a lot of the stuff in ME2 and ME3, where there’s just straight up, very obvious, if X then Y, character specific quests. I remember the loyalty missions specifically feeling very much like a grocery list, and the same way with whatever the “good ending meter” for ME3 was.

Long winded way of saying that I’d wager that for most people, the gameplay isn’t what is most compelling about Mass Effect, and there’s a lot of gameplay that just isn’t especially interesting to go through to get to the good bits.

I'll RELAY what I experience! 

I Think That Just Happened GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

i think what you said is exactly why the gameplay won’t really matter. for new players i think the stories will still mostly hit like they did back them. with the “extended” ending in 3, new players might not even feel the betrayal and anger that everybody else did lol. there will be some new players who will stop because of the gameplay, but people stopped playing for various reasons back then too.  

i did see that they are fixing how the mako handles in ME1. so things might be a little smoother even though there’s no complete fixes. 

50 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I guess I always found the gameplay to be, eh, OK, even at the time, so to me these were always mostly about the story and dialogue choices. They were kinda fun to play in 2-3, but 1 in particular I remember at the time thinking - this is not good. 

I remember the inventory being particularly bad throughout the series, I barely engaged with it. 

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I guess I always found the gameplay to be, eh, OK, even at the time, so to me these were always mostly about the story and dialogue choices. They were kinda fun to play in 2-3, but 1 in particular I remember at the time thinking - this is not good. 

I remember the inventory being particularly bad throughout the series, I barely engaged with it. 

They're harmonizing the gameplay in 1 to be more like 2/3.  Should be a big improvement.  I don't remember the inventory being a problem after 1.

34 minutes ago, johnny said:

i think what you said is exactly why the gameplay won’t really matter. for new players i think the stories will still mostly hit like they did back them. with the “extended” ending in 3, new players might not even feel the betrayal and anger that everybody else did lol. there will be some new players who will stop because of the gameplay, but people stopped playing for various reasons back then too.  

i did see that they are fixing how the mako handles in ME1. so things might be a little smoother even though there’s no complete fixes. 

I didn’t play any of the ME games until the update to 3 was released; the ending was still terrible.

I attempted replayed ME1 not that many years ago. Still has my favorite non-vehicle combat of the series. The reason I never ended up finishing that play-thru is due to the many Mako portions. It honestly won't matter if they fix the physics or not for me as what makes the mako shit is mako combat. I feel like it needed to be like Halo where if you are in the driver seat the AI shoots for you and vice versa.  Actually, the shit physics are the best part of the mako. Only thing fun about it. Planet exploring also just wasn't fun for me. It was just boring. 

22 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'll probably do the paragon run legitimately, then use a trainer to cheat my way through the renegade playthrough.

I'm curious to know if they did anything to change the games mechanically or if this really is just a HD texture pack.

Yes, they are trying to standardize movements throughout the games. It was talked about in Kinda Funny's preview.

19 hours ago, Brick said:

Why is that shocking? It's a remaster of three games and the DLC packages together. $60 seems reasonable enough. 

It is a fair price probably... plus if you can manage to sit on your hands for maybe a month after it launches you could probably get it for $45.  It still boggles my mind that people preorder or buy games day 1 and complain about the price.  Prices drop SO FAST.  

Just now, number305 said:

It is a fair price probably... plus if you can manage to sit on your hands for maybe a month after it launches you could probably get it for $45.  It still boggles my mind that people preorder or buy games day 1 and complain about the price.  Prices drop SO FAST.  

Mhmm. I'll probably wait for the Steam Summer Sale myself just because. 

21 hours ago, Brick said:

Why is that shocking? It's a remaster of three games and the DLC packages together. $60 seems reasonable enough. 

There is no upgrade path on PC for people who already own all the games/DLC.

For instance, when Bethesda did the remastered Special edition of Skyrim, existing owners got it for free.  Given the history of upgrades on PC, and how minimal the resources used to implement the upgrades (at least on PC) based on the GameSpot video -- I would have thought there would have been something less expensive for an upgrade.  If they had decided to fully redo the graphics, add in Ray-Tracing, etc.  I can see $60.

I can understand the price on console -- where the user base is used to paying for graphical upgrades on an new platform.

I'll wait a few months for it to be $20 on an Origin sale.