Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14 May 2021) OT - Badassfully Remastered

Pikachu

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

if this gets delayed i’m going to be mad. i know it would be for the best. but my hype level is already at 11. 

Delay it until the trilogy doesn’t end with choices between a dry fart, a wet fart, a silent but deadly fart, and fart that puts you at risk of rectal prolapse.

Big question now is if this is enough of an upgrade. Again this isn't going to be full remake territory, but will it be on par with other great remastered games like The Last of Us Remastered? As much as we would all love a big upgrade like say Shadow of the Colossus got on PS4 from PS2, again that's delving into remake territory that would be a huge undertaking both in terms of time and money to redo all three games like that. 

Hopefully this isn't just EA doing the bare minimum to upgrade the game, and put it out again to make a quick buck. Doesn't sound like it, but further impressions will be needed. Console players will benefit more from this since PC players can already play the games at 4K and 60 FPS, and install various mods, so hopefully the gameplay tweeks being made to ME1 are worthy too. I myself will still plan on getting it on PC. 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

Big question now is if this is enough of an upgrade. Again this isn't going to be full remake territory, but will it be on par with other great remastered games like The Last of Us Remastered? As much as we would all love a big upgrade like say Shadow of the Colossus got on PS4 from PS2, again that's delving into remake territory that would be a huge undertaking both in terms of time and money to redo all three games like that. 

Hopefully this isn't just EA doing the bare minimum to upgrade the game, and put it out again to make a quick buck. Doesn't sound like it, but further impressions will be needed. Console players will benefit more from this since PC players can already play the games at 4K and 60 FPS, and install various mods, so hopefully the gameplay tweeks being made to ME1 are worthy too. I myself will still plan on getting it on PC. 

yeah, it is sounded like ME1 is being updated with AI machine learning to update textures and even improve some models. Then an artist goes in and does some additional touching up. It almost sounds like they’re remodeling the game inside it’s old engine. Combine that with the gameplay and game mechanic improvements this sounds like it is as close to a remake as one can get without rebuilding the game from scratch. 

ME2 and ME3 now sounds like a more standard remaster. Like that of say the Skyrim HD remaster on Xbox One and PS4. 

31 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Delay it until the trilogy doesn’t end with choices between a dry fart, a wet fart, a silent but deadly fart, and fart that puts you at risk of rectal prolapse.

see to me the endings felt I chose between cancer, cancer, and cancer. But they’re promising the extended cut ending which was “the cancer was benign, it’s really ok”. 

All this talk of the ending has reminded me of these two articles from Film Crit Hulk (even if I don't fully agree with all his points, even though I don't hate the ending like some people do) 

BIRTHMOVIESDEATH.COM

You guys hated the ending of MASS EFFECT 3, but Film Crit Hulk loved it. 

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

see to me the endings felt I chose between cancer, cancer, and cancer. But they’re promising the extended cut ending which was “the cancer was benign, it’s really ok”. 

Honestly almost everything about the story beats in Mass Effect 2 and 3 are cowardly to the point of comedy, it’s just all dressed up super pretty in the game with space pew pew pew that it gets glossed over.

Suicide mission? Everyone can live super easily. Warring factions that have hated one another for god knows how long? A couple dialog options solves that. It’s all engaging in the moment and I really enjoy it, it’s just so... safe.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:41 PM, TheLeon said:

I think Kal is mostly correct regarding gameplay, but for people who are excited to replay these games, just being back in that world with those characters is likely the bulk of the appeal. I don’t care if the shooting is poor, as long as I can do it with my homie Wrex by my side. 

I just saw this.

And I agree in general, yeah. I’ve got good memories of chats with Tali, Liara, Mordin, etc. But I can relive those in YouTube without playing 50 hours of game to get to them. I think I’d get more out of watching someone stream this than playing it myself, since I can be doing something else while it’s going on. I know that’s damning with faint praise, and I REALLY liked Mass Effect. But the combat is just literally never, ever interesting.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks like the bare minimum to me with increased ruining of the best game (ME1)

The only thing they are doing to ME1 is standardizing the movement, from what I've seen in their new previews. I definitely agree it is the best, but it didn't control the best.

19 hours ago, Brick said:

All this talk of the ending has reminded me of these two articles from Film Crit Hulk (even if I don't fully agree with all his points, even though I don't hate the ending like some people do) 

BIRTHMOVIESDEATH.COM

You guys hated the ending of MASS EFFECT 3, but Film Crit Hulk loved it. 

i like his writing but his gimmick with the all caps is so annoying to me lol 

This series already held up well, dunno if i'll bother with a remaster, i played through them all a little over a year ago, as far as the gameplay goes they're just as good as modern games, i mean the cover shooter formula hasn't changed a whole lot. The first game really only suffered for being the most RPG like so if you played it like a pure shooter you were just doing it wrong, and the soldier class suffered for it.  Biotics were by far the most enjoyable in the first game.

The Mako parts of the first game are probably the one thing i'm disappointed they gave up on in the rest of the series, it was still enjoyable to me as it felt like you were exploring but it definitely could have used more work, and its one of the reasons Andromeda was pretty decent was the exploration with the vehicle.

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

This series already held up well, dunno if i'll bother with a remaster, i played through them all a little over a year ago, as far as the gameplay goes they're just as good as modern games, i mean the cover shooter formula hasn't changed a whole lot. The first game really only suffered for being the most RPG like so if you played it like a pure shooter you were just doing it wrong

I agree. I have all three games for Xbox 360 and they still look and play good to me, so I don’t really have an interest in the upcoming Legendary Edition. :shrug:

shepard-blogjpg-958316jpg-8dda7e.jpg?wid
WWW.IGN.COM

Certain gratuitous camera shots have been changed by Bioware for the Mass Effect: Legendary Edition remaster.

In an interview with Metro, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition's Project Director Mac Walters said that the team changed certain camera angles that were deemed gratuitous. "Kevin [Meek] actually called out some camera cuts that were just.... why was that focusing on Miranda's butt?," Walters explained. So in some cases, we said, 'Okay, we can make a change there'."

Elsewhere in the interview, Character and Environment Director Kevin Meek alludes to another low camera shot where a male Shepherd is sat with his legs open. The developers were unable to change the animation itself, but they could alter the position of the camera to change how the shot is framed. "If you were wearing a skirt, it would be a bit unflattering," Meek explains. "So we can’t necessarily change that animation, but you can raise that camera up slightly to reduce the problem.’

The developers stopped short of changing entire character models, noting that the camera shots that they did change were "a decision that was made as part of many creative decisions and just showing it at the best possible fidelity that we could going forward".

• Haha 1

Let's be honest that shot was always weird. Anyone who's ever had any sort of film training, or you know, seen a movie, could tell you that unless the point of that shot is to have Miranda's butt be the subject, like because Shepard is staring at it, getting aroused before a sex scene, or something, it's an odd shot. 

One thing I would really like them to change for Mass Effect 1 because it always bugged me is Saren's geth arm, and other cybernetics. He mentioned in the final mission how Sovereign implanted him, but we saw those augmentations since the beginning of the game, and seriously no one noticed before the council finally labeled him rogue? Nihilus didn't see that shit before getting shot in the back? Would have made way more sense for him to look like a normal turian, and then when you confront him at the end he has that geth arm, tubes, blue lights, and whatnot. Perhaps originally they wanted to have two models, but time and budget got in the way since that was back when BioWare was independent. Really hope that can finally make that change. 

Anyone on Twitter able to ask Mac Walters, or someone if this is at all planned to address? It is a small thing, but one that would really help to push this remaster further away from just being a quickly done thing for easy money. 

This might be my favourite gaming trilogy, so I really want this remaster to be worthy. 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:26 PM, Brick said:

One thing I would really like them to change for Mass Effect 1 because it always bugged me is Saren's geth arm, and other cybernetics. He mentioned in the final mission how Sovereign implanted him, but we saw those augmentations since the beginning of the game, and seriously no one noticed before the council finally labeled him rogue? Nihilus didn't see that shit before getting shot in the back? Would have made way more sense for him to look like a normal turian, and then when you confront him at the end he has that geth arm, tubes, blue lights, and whatnot. Perhaps originally they wanted to have two models, but time and budget got in the way since that was back when BioWare was independent. Really hope that can finally make that change. 

Anyone on Twitter able to ask Mac Walters, or someone if this is at all planned to address? It is a small thing, but one that would really help to push this remaster further away from just being a quickly done thing for easy money. 

This might be my favourite gaming trilogy, so I really want this remaster to be worthy. 

I domn't think those cybernetic enhancements in the beginning of the game were from Sovereign. I think those were just his battle scars and enhancements he had accumulated over his years as a spectre. What Sovereign did to him is the full robotic form we see in the final battle where he becomes more tech than Turian. THAT'S the reveal. Not his cyber arm and other cybernetics.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I domn't think those cybernetic enhancements in the beginning of the game were from Sovereign. I think those were just his battle scars and enhancements he had accumulated over his years as a spectre. What Sovereign did to him is the full robotic form we see in the final battle where he becomes more tech than Turian. THAT'S the reveal. Not his cyber arm and other cybernetics.

Yeah it reveals the full extent of what Sovereign did to him, but it's still weird that he's walking around with a geth arm, and going, "What? I'm not working with the geth! This Shepard person is crazy. Told you humans aren't ready to be Spectres. Pshh." 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But you don't see anyone else in the first game walking around with cybernetic implants. Even combat veterans and people like Wrex.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:51 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

But cybernetic definitely exist in the world and lore is my point.

Yeah but a geth arm? Had it been a simple metallic arm sure no one would think anything of it, but it is clearly a geth arm. Just for visual consistency it would be better to show it, the tubes, and the lights after Virmire. Then after Sovereign burns his flesh off you can see the true extent of the implants it did to Saren.