Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14 May 2021) OT - Badassfully Remastered

Pikachu

I read more reviews and watched a few video impressions and it's looking good. I watched a vid of side by side comparison of the original ME1 and the remaster and the improvements are noticeable. That's on YouTube. I'm sure it'll look great on my TV. 

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There really hasn't been... I thought Cyberpunk would have been that game but alas, no.

The witcher 3 and AC Odyssey got close in terms of world building, but you can't actually *role play* in those games so much. Elex and greedfall got the role playing right, but they're both janky and the worlds weren't as captivating.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

The witcher 3 and AC Odyssey got close in terms of world building, but you can't actually *role play* in those games so much. Elex and greedfall got the role playing right, but they're both janky and the worlds weren't as captivating.

Greedfall was pretty bad. Like 5/10 type game. I gave it a few hours and had to drop it like a hot potato. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I just played the first hour and a half as a soldier not knowing I quick selected a character. Restarting it later. Woe is me. 

What exactly is so bad about choosing solider? I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned don’t pick it. Also how was it? Are you playing on PC, PS5, or PS4 Pro?

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Witcher 3 and AC Odyssey aren't sci-fi. That's what I was responding too. I never played Elex but Greedfall was just "Okay" as well. Game never got as good as it could have.

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Greedfall was pretty bad. Like 5/10 type game. I gave it a few hours and had to drop it like a hot potato. 

I tried to like it so much and beat 80% of it before I just had to admit, I didn’t care about the story and that the game play was just blah.

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

What exactly is so bad about choosing solider? I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned don’t pick it. Also how was it? Are you playing on PC, PS5, or PS4 Pro?

It’s not bad it’s just boring in comparison, the abilities are some of the most interesting things about the combat. 

I’m playing on PS5. It looks really nice, runs quite well, a few hitches here and there but honestly looks real sharp. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I tried to like it so much and beat 80% of it before I just had to admit, I didn’t care about the story and that the game play was just blah.

I actually DID finish it but you're right about the story and gameplay. I really wanted to like it too and thought it was the Dragon Age ripoff I always wanted... unfortunately it wasn't.

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Nothing wrong with playing as soldier but I suspect that most of the complaints about the coombat in these games (especially the first one) came from people who picked soldier and basically played the game as a third person shooter. Playing with the abilities and combining them with your squad members is essential especially on higher difficulties. I love coordinating my attacks with my squad which is why I also base my squad on whatever class I playing as so I have decent mix of abilities.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I can't tell you how many times I've almost downloaded Greedfall from Game Pass and chose not do.

35 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

I can't tell you how many times I've almost downloaded Greedfall from Game Pass and chose not do.

Just like elex, it's like if you are just REALLY jonesing for an open world RPG and you've played everything else, go for it, but it ain't exactly skyrim

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

You made the correct choice. It's a dragon age rip off but falls extremely short. Not worth your time at all.

24 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Just like elex, it's like if you are just REALLY jonesing for an open world RPG and you've played everything else, go for it, but it ain't exactly skyrim

Greedfall is not open world in the slightest. It's like Fable where there are small zones to play in then loading screens to progress. Game is trash the more I think about it.

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Soldier is just someone who shoots, and you get Ashley early on who is a soldier. Using biotics is fun and Soldiers don't do that.

So I switched between quality and performance, and both seemed like small differences. But in the end I decided to keep performance for the little bit of extra fluidity, especially when aiming/shooting. 

So, at least in the early game, the change to being able to use any weapon without penalty really changes the balance of the game. As a Vanguard I actually have long range combat ability with a Sniper Rifle. And then mid range to up close my powers and damage stat boosted Pistol handles business. But with a steady sniper there are more times when the enemy never gets close enough to me. 

so far though, ME 1 looks and plays great. Definitely feels better. The elevator loading is really good too. They appear to have optimized it so the elevator ride ends as soon as any companion banter or news message finishes, but you can still skip it pretty early into the trip still. 

though the Mako doesn’t feel that much better. It doesn’t bounce as much or as violently, but other than that feels the same. I have yet to find the option to switch between classic and new Mako physics. So I don’t know, maybe the difference is greater than I have perceived. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

though the Mako doesn’t feel that much better. It doesn’t bounce as much or as violently, but other than that feels the same. I have yet to find the option to switch between classic and new Mako physics. So I don’t know, maybe the difference is greater than I have perceived. 

This is disappointing. The Mako was a complete mess back in the day. That's something they should have really focused on. Can anyone else confirm this sad news?

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This is disappointing. The Mako was a complete mess back in the day. That's something they should have really focused on. Can anyone else confirm this sad news?

from what I’m reading online it seems the biggest changes can be felt on PC where the Mako was so hard to control it was easy to just fling it into lava. It’s the only platform you can even see the option to change the controls/camera of the Mako back to the original. I haven’t played the PC versions so I can’t say how much better it is. 

on console the Mako was a bit comical in the original, but never felt game breaking to me. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I personally never had an issue with the Mako. People just don't know how to drive!

• Haha 1

So I've never played the Mass Effect games despite them seeming really awesome.  But I'm generally not huge on RPGs, with the exception of stuff like Skyrim and KOTOR.  I get overwhelmed with menus and stats and character classes and then get tired of it pretty quickly.  How dense is Mass Effect in regard to these sorts of things?  Is the moment-to-moment gameplay fun and dynamic enough for someone like me who generally sticks to action games?

6 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

So I've never played the Mass Effect games despite them seeming really awesome.  But I'm generally not huge on RPGs, with the exception of stuff like Skyrim and KOTOR.  I get overwhelmed with menus and stats and character classes and then get tired of it pretty quickly.  How dense is Mass Effect in regard to these sorts of things?  Is the moment-to-moment gameplay fun and dynamic enough for someone like me who generally sticks to action games?

Well if you liked KOTOR you should probably enjoy ME because Bioware made both games. The combat is more action focused. There are skills but it's a short list. The second one is dumbed down so you'd probably enjoy that even more. (it's like a 3rd person shooter)

There isn't much to be worried about in regards to classes, each character you meet is a different class, you can't change, the most important thing is the class you choose at the start for your own character.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

there’s actually less stats to keep up with than in KOTOR and there’s less skills to manage than Skyrim. 

ME1 has more power and upgrade options to keep track of than ME2/3, but it still doesn’t feel overwhelming. 

The two biggest focuses of the games are dialog with other characters (to learn about the universe, cultures, and characters) and the combat (which there is plenty of in between major plot points.) most of the conversations are optional, but you’ll be missing out on a bunch of lore and understanding your allies more if you just rush through the story to next action set-piece. 

but the journey is yours. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I personally never had an issue with the Mako. People just don't know how to drive!

The Mako complaints were something else that was overblown by the internet. I had ZERO issues driving it and actuallly had a lot of fun with it. I always thought it was like playing a modern version of the classic arcade game MOON PATROL. The Mako DOES feel a little different now than it did in the classic game but it STILL plays like it did back then. I'll upload a video of my using the Mako later to show folks how it's done. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I've played about 13 hours on PC and I feel like the Mako controls are light years (tee hee) ahead of what I played on the 360 back in the day. It controls really well and I'm not fighting with the game to control it. I hated it on the 360 and have no problems with it on PC.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

I've played about 13 hours on PC and I feel like the Mako controls are light years (tee hee) ahead of what I played on the 360 back in the day. It controls really well and I'm not fighting with the game to control it. I hated it on the 360 and have no problems with it on PC.

Right... it feels more responsive I guess but not radically different from the previous game. I noticed it right off the bat but it wasn't a complete redesign of the control scheme.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Right... it feels more responsive I guess but not radically different from the previous game. I noticed it right off the bat but it wasn't a complete redesign of the control scheme.

Spot on. It's more responsive and isn't completely redesigned, just works as you would think it should. 

1 hour ago, Hurricane Game said:

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

55 minutes ago, nublood said:

The Mako controls just like a space vehicle should on an alien planet. Fast, slow, bouncy, and unpredictable. If you can drive a Warthog, you can drive a Mako.

Good deal, guys. I'm sure I'll have no issues with it. I noticed I had a free $5 gift card thing from xbl so I went ahead and bought this game right after I was finished with Village for the day. I look forward going through these games again. It's been years!

Sounds amazing, gonna buy it.  It sounds like they made some positive changes to the first game but left most everything intact - is it worth playing through, or should I skip to the second game?  I've read alternatively that people really like it or think it's a total slog compared to 2 and 3.

23 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Sounds amazing, gonna buy it.  It sounds like they made some positive changes to the first game but left most everything intact - is it worth playing through, or should I skip to the second game?  I've read alternatively that people really like it or think it's a total slog compared to 2 and 3.

Definitely play the first game.