Firefly Reboot Coming To Disney+

Jason

malreynoldsfirefly.jpg
WWW.GIANTFREAKINROBOT.COM

They’re working on a new Firefly series for Disney+.

My source tells me that Disney is in early development on a Firefly reboot.  The new show would start the story of Captain Mal Reynolds and his crew aboard the Serenity over from scratch, with an aim to make this a long-running series on Disney+.  There is a twist here and the twist is that they see the show as ideal family-friendly programming for Disney+.  My source tells me they’re planning to target it more at a PG-adventure, family audience and less at the sort of PG-13 dynamic the original Joss Whedon show went for.

Is it even really Firefly if they pivot it to PG?

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My bad for not reading the post. I just never differentiated much between PG-13 and PG.

I think Firefly is a property where it would be a very noticeable difference given how much they'd have to sanitize everything to get it down to PG levels. 

Long have we asked for Firefly to return, but...

not like this GIF

Although I don’t want to get too hung up on the PG thing just yet. The Mandalorian is PG to TV-14, depending on the episode, and I think that show is aimed pretty solidly towards “family friendly”. A new Firefly could play in a similar space and be close to the old show, in tone if not in content. 

Ehh the jump from PG to PG-13 is not as big as people like to make it out to be. People like to get hung up on the idea that a certain level of edge is needed to create cool, compelling drama which is 100% not true. If most of the cast is back and the writing is true to the spirit of the original then this will be good. 

But as much as I enjoy Firefly, I’m not sure I really care anymore about the story being pushed forward. 

10 hours ago, Jason said:

The text I posted clearly said it's a shift from PG-13 to PG. R never came up. :p

You wouldn't have Inara be a space hooker in a PG version of Firefly, for example.

definitely can’t call her a whore every episode with a PG rating. Maybe she can be a space massage therapist, and it’s all just alluded to. 

Going PG may or may not work, but I think Firefly was a show that really succeeded on the back of its writing and cast.

This isn't Star Wars, I'm not super excited to discover the whole Firefly 'verse. I think there's some interesting commentary that could be made out of the whole Browncoat situation (though a PG show makes that less likely), but I'm not even all that excited to learn more about Captain Reynolds and friends.

I feel like Firefly was a bit of a lightning in a bottle situation, and at this point even bringing back the (surviving) cast wouldn't excite me that much. I feel like the best case scenario there is Netflix Arrested Development quality.

I'd be happy to be wrong and enjoy another space cowboy show on Disney+, but I'm skeptical of anyone's ability to recapture what made Firefly special at the time.

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Going PG may or may not work, but I think Firefly was a show that really succeeded on the back of its writing and cast.

This isn't Star Wars, I'm not super excited to discover the whole Firefly 'verse. I think there's some interesting commentary that could be made out of the whole Browncoat situation (though a PG show makes that less likely), but I'm not even all that excited to learn more about Captain Reynolds and friends.

I feel like Firefly was a bit of a lightning in a bottle situation, and at this point even bringing back the (surviving) cast wouldn't excite me that much. I feel like the best case scenario there is Netflix Arrested Development quality.

I'd be happy to be wrong and enjoy another space cowboy show on Disney+, but I'm skeptical of anyone's ability to recapture what made Firefly special at the time.

This - its time has passed. 

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

definitely can’t call her a whore every episode with a PG rating. Maybe she can be a space massage therapist, and it’s all just alluded to. 

That's the part of the show that's aged the worst, ditching it completely would not be a meaningful loss for me.

11 hours ago, CayceG said:

I got bored with Firefly about half way through and just punched out. I don't understand the show's appeal I guess. 

I think the second half of the season is better but yeah the show is nothing special. I did like the characters though.

On 12/15/2020 at 12:44 PM, ort said:

Yeah, just come up with some new idea. Why is everything a sequel, remake or a redo?

known IPs come with an already existing audience. It’s easier and less risky than staring from scratch making something new nobody has ever heard of. 

as much as we’re all enjoying Mandalorian, it’s appeal would be drastically diminished if it was an original universe and nothing to do with Star Wars. 

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

known IPs come with an already existing audience. It’s easier and less risky than staring from scratch making something new nobody has ever heard of. 

as much as we’re all enjoying Mandalorian, it’s appeal would be drastically diminished if it was an original universe and nothing to do with Star Wars. 

I don't think Mandalorian using the Star Wars setting is the same as a straight-up reboot.