How do you feel about revisiting games you've already played?

Fizzzzle

I'm in the position right now of choosing my next game. I tried Trials of Mana, I played about an hour of it like last week, and I was just like "nah." I don't know why, I'm sure it's a fun game. I might come back to it at some point.

I have something like 400 games on Steam. I haven't even installed probably 250 of them. I usually kind of randomly pick which game I'm going to play next (I narrow it to a short list and then use a number picker), but you know what I want to do? I want to play Tales of Berseria. Tales of Berseria is a long game, we're talking ~100 hours. That will take up the next couple months, most likely. I have already completed Tales of Berseria. I know what happens.

It's like there's this battle within myself between like "you have ALL THESE GAMES YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED" and another part that's like "yeahhh, but that other one I have played is really good, though, and it's been a couple years"

Like, I just did my second full playthrough of AC Odyssey, I now have well over 200 hours in that game. I was able to justify that by the fact that I hadn't played any of the DLC yet. Same situation with the Witcher 3; I have well over 200 hours in that game now, too, and I justified it by the fact that I hadn't played any DLC.

Do any of you guys ever fight with the idea of "I have all these games I haven't played" vs. "yeahhhh, but I actually want to play FFVII for the  5th time."

I think I’ve only replayed a handful of games - I used to be much worse at getting half way through a game then buying the next new release. It meant I had a fantastic library of games, but had only completed maybe 3 of them in total. I try to just focus on one games at a time now and with life being the way it is, never have cause to go back to a game unless it’s online based.

I only ever focus on one game at a time, anyway (outside of things like Mario Kart or whatever).

I just find this dilemma where part of me is saying "You know, you haven't played Nier: Automata yet. Or Greedfall. Or Metro 2033. You own those games. You can play them. They are there." Then another part of me is like "Yeah, no, I kind of just want to play Tales of Berseria again, it's been a couple years."

Or I'll make another run in Stardew Valley or The Sims 4. I  have nearly 300 hours in Stardew Valley and dear god knows how much in The Sims 4. I don't feel bad about those ones, though. They're what I play when I just need to relax.

I could replay OoT or Wind Waker and have a good time. I replay Dark Souls every so often as well. But that is kinda it. I have tried replaying The Witcher games but I just get bored because there is too much story. Story is great the first time, but it really gets in the way on replays. 

I have come to terms that I like to buy games just to add to my collection just in case I do want to play them. Lately I have been playing a bunch of NES games. Bought the Castlevania Collection on Xbox and am going through those games. This weekend I beat Super Mario Bros with out warping for the first time. It's fun going back to games you played many times over.

I recently bought RE2 and RE3 remake and a few of the Far Cry games but don't expect to jump into those just yet.

I don't think I've ever really played any really heavily story based games over in the past gen.  Too many new games to play.  I kind of planned to replay Witcher 2 and 3 on PC, but after starting 2 again just couldn't really commit that time to it again.

I will most certainly replay Mass Effect with these Remasters or whatever they are since it's been so long.

On the 360 certain games that opened up harder difficulties, I replayed, especially if it had coop.

Halo is actually the only series I have replayed campaigns over again multiple times that I can remember.

While it's rare for me to replay games, it certainly does happen as I've replayed the following off the top of my head:

Mario games - so many, so many times!

Phantasy Star series

Dungeon Master 1,CSB,II

FF6

FF7

FF12

DQ1

DQ8

Elex

Outward!

Castlevania SOTN

Skyrim

The Witcher 2 & 3

Mass Effect Series (and I will again if the remaster is decent!)

Demons Souls 

Dark Souls 3

Well, I actually do replay games often, but it is right after I beat them I go in for a second run. The reason for this is that I usually played games on normal, and I am a bit of an achievement whore. ME1/2 and TW3 were games I played on normal and then the hardest modes for achievements. I have replayed most of the soulsborne games right after I beat them as well. I was going to for Sekiro but then I realized I could back up the saves right before I selected an ending and the eliminated the need for other play-throughs. 

Like, I didn't even like The Outer Worlds but I still 100%'d that game with two back to back play-thrus for all the achievements. 

To me it depends on the game. There are some games where I find replaying them more fun than playing something new. A lot of new games start out stupidly slow and are a chore to get through for the good bits. Yet at the same time there are games I’ve played way too much and just aren’t fun anymore.

I do it all the time... I replayed Mass Effects 1 & 2 so many times that I'm certain I saw everything in each game (Contrary to popular belief choice in those games DOES mean something even if its different missions.) Same with Dragon Age Origins and The WItcher 2 and 3. I had a tradition back in the day that I would always marathon the Halo series when a new game was coming out.Skyrim, The GTA series, The Last of Us... all games that I have replayed and plan on revisting again. I wlays find that I REALLY enjoy a game the second playthrough because by then I've really gotten the gameplay nuances down.

I actually replay games quite a lot. I think just this gen I've beaten Bloodborne three times, Prey twice, Resident Evil 2 Remake six or seven times, The Evil Within three times, Hotline Miami 1 and 2 several times each and so on.

I also quite frequently will replay sections of older games until I had my fill. I think I've beaten Resident Evil 4 something like six or seven times as well.

Overall, I actually tend to replay games a lot more than actually buying new ones. Also depends on the game of course. Story-heavy games tend to bore me the second time around and I either skip all cutscenes or just don't replay them. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

While it's rare for me to replay games, it certainly does happen as I've replayed the following off the top of my head:

Mario games - so many, so many times!

Phantasy Star series

Dungeon Master 1,CSB,II

FF6

FF7

FF12

DQ1

DQ8

Elex

Outward!

Castlevania SOTN

Skyrim

The Witcher 2 & 3

Mass Effect Series (and I will again if the remaster is decent!)

Demons Souls 

Dark Souls 3

I've played SOTN so many times, it's absurd. I've only completed it fully maybe twice total but it's one of those comfort food games I'll pop in and play for ten hours or something over a week or two and then move on and do it again the next year.

I also plan on replaying The Last Of Us before the end of the year seeing how I didn't really 'get' the gameplay until a third or more into my first playthrough recently. Now that it clicked, I'd love to give it another shot on a higher difficulty.

I used to feel bad about replaying an old game instead of playing something new, especially with how easy it is to accumulate new games these days. I also felt similarly about playing the same multiplayer game for years and not really branching out. Then I remembered that video games are supposed to be fun. I’m under no obligation to play new shit. Whatever makes me happy is valid, and if that means playing RE4 or Metroid Prime for the 10th time instead of playing one of the dozen games I just bought in a new Humble Bundle, so be it. 

Sidenote - this is also why I almost never feel compelled to finish a game. If I’m no longer enjoying it for whatever reason, I’ll put it down. Maybe I’ll pick it back up later, but if not, who gives a shit?

25 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I used to feel bad about replaying an old game instead of playing something new, especially with how easy it is to accumulate new games these days. I also felt similarly about playing the same multiplayer game for years and not really branching out. Then I remembered that video games are supposed to be fun. I’m under no obligation to play new shit. Whatever makes me happy is valid, and if that means playing RE4 or Metroid Prime for the 10th time instead of playing one of the dozen games I just bought in a new Humble Bundle, so be it. 

Sidenote - this is also why I almost never feel compelled to finish a game. If I’m no longer enjoying it for whatever reason, I’ll put it down. Maybe I’ll pick it back up later, but if not, who gives a shit?

I almost forgot about Metroid Prime. I've played that game so many damn times. I just beat it via Dolphin emulation again a few months back and it's as close to a perfect game to me as it gets. It also looks gorgeous to this day with emulation. 

I go back and play old stuff all the time. Even if its only for an hour or two and have no intention of beating them again.

If I get the itch to play Condemned, I'll go play Condemned. If i'm feeling like it's gonna be a RE4 kinda night, so be it.

One of my favorite things to do is go back and play janky AA games like Dark Void, Arcania, or Shadows of the Damned.

Back Compat has been a big deal for me this gen. I'm glad Sony is supporting PS4 games on PS5 but damn if they would have done PS3 and PS2 my brain would have exploded.

When I was younger and had a much more limited amount of games to play I found myself replaying games often.

Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7 and 9, Pokemon, Morrowind, Diablo, etc.

As I've gotten older and have access to way more games its harder to go back and play them. I'll seldom go back and play favorites, but it does happen from time to time. I just recently played Dead Space and have noticed I usually do it when I'm waiting for something to come out or just have an itch for those games.

I love revisiting movies and TV shows, but I just don't with games. I think it's primarily the time commitment involved. Another big reason is that I don't play as many games as I used to (though this year my play time spiked a lot), and I like playing all the new stuff that people are talking about. If I want play a "comfort game" then I usually play something on-going like Hearthstone or Destiny.

This year I did actually revisit some old games. I replayed the whole of the first Assassin's Creed. I played through some of Bioshock, but I don't think I'll end up finishing it. I also went back and finished some games I'd started but never finished (AC4, AC Origins, Witcher 3).

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Rarely nowadays. When I do, it’s usually old Nintendo stuff.

Too much new stuff to play.

That's kind of why I feel bad when I start to a replay an old game, especially if it's a big 35+ hour game. It'll take me forever to finish it, and I can only play one game at a time. And I usually only play through like 2-3 games before I take a break and do some runs in The Sims or Stardew Valley. I only complete about 8 games a year, so I feel like I'm wasting time if I play something I've already completed.

... but sometimes I just want to.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

This year I did actually revisit some old games. I replayed the whole of the first Assassin's Creed. I played through some of Bioshock, but I don't think I'll end up finishing it. I also went back and finished some games I'd started but never finished (AC4, AC Origins, Witcher 3).

I have this weird thing that I absolutely cannot just jump back into a game without starting from the beginning. Same thing with TV shows. I only revisited AC Odyssey because I hadn't played the DLC yet, but could I just simply walk back into the game with my already completed save file? Absolutely not, I had to completely start from the beginning.

I think it mostly depends on the length of the game, but yeah I love replaying games, and my favorite games tend to be the ones that are the most replayable.  Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite game and I play through most of it about once a year.  Most Nintendo games tend to be replayable because they are for the most part focused on pure gameplay.  Left 4 Dead is another one of my all-time favorites, precisely because it's so replayable and remains engaging even though it's very simple and the campaigns are short.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I have this weird thing that I absolutely cannot just jump back into a game without starting from the beginning. Same thing with TV shows. I only revisited AC Odyssey because I hadn't played the DLC yet, but could I just simply walk back into the game with my already completed save file? Absolutely not, I had to completely start from the beginning.

For all those games I did the same. Most I'd only played a few hours years ago, so it wasn't a big deal to start over.