Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Joe Biden says Frank Rizzo ‘should have never had a statue’ in Philly

Joe Biden — a longtime critic of former Philadelphia mayor Frank Rizzo — said a statue never should have been erected in his honor and on Sunday commended city leaders for removing the likeness.

Biden’s criticism of Rizzo goes back to May 1975 when, as a senator speaking at a Democratic Party dinner in Philadelphia, Biden went off on Rizzo, comparing him to Richard Nixon and George Wallace, “men who stand for everything that is wrong in the country.”

“Did you see the picture of Richard Nixon in a golf cart with a big smile on his face?” Biden asked Democrats gathered in Philadelphia, according to the Daily News report. “I understand Richard Nixon needs a caddie. I can think of nobody who’s more used to carrying his clubs than Frank Rizzo.”

And with that, Biden has my vote.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms is emerging as dark horse contender for Biden's V.P. pick

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/politics/biden-kamala-harris-keisha-lance-bottoms-val-demings/index.html

https://www.vogue.com/article/atlanta-mayor-keisha-lance-bottoms-interview-protests-joe-biden-running-mate

I don't know much about here but on the surface, she seems to be a good choice for the moment. Plus she's cute. I really don't get people's obsession with Kamala though... I think she hurts Biden amongst blacks and progressives more than she helps but :shrug:

I’m worried about the jokes that would come out from Biden/Bottoms 2020, especially if he loses.

“Biden Bottoms Out!”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

I’m worried about the jokes that would come out from Biden/Bottoms 2020, especially if he loses.

“Biden Bottoms Out!”

Lady friend's reply to me when I told her this yesterday was simply "Vice President Bottoms...?" I said yeah it does sound a little weird when you say it out loud. You could solve it by calling her "Lance-Bottoms" though.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lady friend's reply to me when I told her this yesterday was simply "Vice President Bottoms...?" I said yeah it does sound a little weird when you say it out loud. You could solve it by calling her "Lance-Bottoms" though.

Then it just sounds like you're talking about a guy named Lance Bottoms. But really, she could be VP Analwarts for all I care, DO IT Biden.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

From ERA:

"If people can gather to protest police brutality and white supremacy, why can't I have my rallies to support police brutality and white supremacy?"

I'd be fine with this if the chuds didn't have to go to the same grocery stores as everyone else.

3 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Presidential Priorities.

Actually, IMO it seems more likely that said polls would have the opposite effect.

If rosy polling gets your average Democrat to fall into the mentality that “We’re so far ahead in the polls, we’re gonna win even if I don’t bother to vote”, I could easily see it suppressing turnout.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a factor in 2016, in fact, and that lots of Dems stayed assuming Hillary was so far ahead they didn’t need to go vote to beat Trump.

And remember Trump can win the White House with just 46% of the vote.

19 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Actually, IMO it seems more likely that said polls would have the opposite effect.

If rosy polling gets your average Democrat to fall into the mentality that “We’re so far ahead in the polls, we’re gonna win even if I don’t bother to vote”, I could easily see it suppressing turnout.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a factor in 2016, in fact, and that lots of Dems stayed assuming Hillary was so far ahead they didn’t need to go vote to beat Trump.

Haha there's not a Democrat alive who can't wait to vote trump out. Enthusiasm to vote is very high even if people aren't thrilled with Biden.

53 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

The only way he wins with 46% again is if 3rd party votes are abnormally high again, and i very much doubt that this time around.

48 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Haha there's not a Democrat alive who can't wait to vote Bush out. Enthusiasm to vote is very high even if people aren't thrilled with Kerry.

Just sayin’. :p

If the economy keeps posting ‘big’ numbers, which is likely, (even though it can’t feasibly post the kind of numbers it would need to wipe out the losses from the recent contraction) I think Trump’s going to have a better chance than the double-digit leads would have you believe.

Regardless, I’d prefer to have every Democrat utterly convinced that the race is going to be insanely close right up til election night.

16 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Just sayin’. :p

If the economy keeps posting ‘big’ numbers, which is likely, (even though it can’t feasibly post the kind of numbers it would need to wipe out the losses from the recent contraction) I think Trump’s going to have a better chance than the double-digit leads would have you believe.

Regardless, I’d prefer to have every Democrat utterly convinced that the race is going to be insanely close right up til election night.

There's such a deep skepticism of polling, that 2016 polls were wrong (unfounded but still largely held), that polling is largely irrelevant this time around

Anecdotally my brother hates Trump, but also hated Hilary so he didn’t vote. He saw him as a terrible leader but not quite the dangerous one that I feared he would be. He was planning on sitting this election out because he doesn’t like Biden, but that all changed after George Floyd. He is absolutely frightened by how Trump is handling this and he admitted to me over the weekend that he know understands why I’ve been worried for the past 4 years. He’ll be voting for Biden in November.

• Like 1

Murkowski brushes off Trump's threat to campaign against her after she said she's unsure if she'll vote for Trump:

"I made the comments that I made," Murkowski told CNN on Monday. "I stand by them. Again, I think it's important that we have a president who is working to bring people together. ... And tone and words matter."

She added, "I cannot live in fear of a tweet. That's where I am now."

Colin Powell endorsed Obama in 08 and 12 and voted for Hillary in 16, all in October, but I've never seen him endorse this early.

Powell said he was “very close” to Biden on social and political issues and would speak out for him during the election campaign.

He portrayed the protests as a sign of a broader public dissatisfaction with Trump, racism, and wealth and education gaps.

“The economy exists for all of the American people, not just you doing great or me doing better,” Powell said. “So what we have to do now is reach out to the whole people, watch these demonstrations, watch these protests — and rather than curse them, embrace them to see what it is we have to do to get out of this situation that we find ourselves in now.”

He also admonished Congressional Republicans.

Former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell on Sunday called out Republican lawmakers for having "nothing to say" about President Donald Trump's militarized response to widespread unrest following the death of George Floyd at the hands of police.

"While we're watching (Trump), we need to watch our Congress," Powell told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union." "I watched the senators heading into the chamber the other day after all this broke, with the reporters saying, 'What do you have to say, What do you have to say?'"

"They had nothing to say. They would not react,"

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That a majority of people have a favorable opinion of Bush is not a great sign for our country.

He deserves to rot in gitmo 

Yup. We are really fucked if a war criminal that got us into a war on bad faith is looked at fondly.

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That a majority of people have a favorable opinion of Bush is not a great sign for our country.

He deserves to rot in gitmo 

Donald Trump has made politics entirely about personality rather than policy, so in comparison, soft spoken George W. seems like a great guy.

It’s one my biggest fears of Trumpism. That in the future we’ll compare GOP candidates like Ivanka, Hawley, Rubio to Trump, and people and the media will say they’re “moderate.”