How worried about the election are you?

I’m honestly not that nervous. I think Biden is going to blow him out of the fucking water, and that no matter how much Trump bitches and moans about it being rigged, the results will be too significant for anyone to give a shit about what he says. 

The period after? Again, not that nervous. I’m not convinced Trump actually cares to be President for another four years- the past four (especially this latest one) have shown him how much it sucks. He’ll never shut up about it being rigged, but I’m sure he’d much rather parlay that into the Trump News Network than another four years of real responsibility. 

From now until Inauguration Day, you are all free to quote this endlessly if I have to eat shit, but I just don’t see it happening. When I look at Trump I don’t see someone who really cares to rule, just a vain little asshole. 

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’m honestly not that nervous. I think Biden is going to blow him out of the fucking water, and that no matter how much Trump bitches and moans about it being rigged, the results will be too significant for anyone to give a shit about what he says. 

The period after? Again, not that nervous. I’m not convinced Trump actually cares to be President for another four years- the past four (especially this latest one) have shown him how much it sucks. He’ll never shut up about it being rigged, but I’m sure he’d much rather parlay that into the Trump News Network than another four years of real responsibility. 

From now until Inauguration Day, you are all free to quote this endlessly if I have to eat shit, but I just don’t see it happening. When I look at Trump I don’t see someone who really cares to rule, just a vain little asshole. 

The thing that scares me is having a lame duck Republican government. As it stands right now, without another stimulus package, we absolutely cannot shutdown again. And that just means more people are going to die. I think it's been made pretty clear that the Republicans are perfectly fine with letting the world burn for short term gain. A win for Democrats, whether it be in the Senate or the presidency, basically guarantees that there will be nothing done until February. Trump will take his ball and go home.

Probably half of your favorite bars, restaurants, concert venues, hotels, etc won't survive that long.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The thing that scares me is having a lame duck Republican government. As it stands right now, without another stimulus package, we absolutely cannot shutdown again. And that just means more people are going to die. I think it's been made pretty clear that the Republicans are perfectly fine with letting the world burn for short term gain. A win for Democrats, whether it be in the Senate or the presidency, basically guarantees that there will be nothing done until February. Trump will take his ball and go home.

Probably half of your favorite bars, restaurants, concert venues, hotels, etc won't survive that long.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t think the next few months are going to be good! I just don’t think we are facing down the ‘end of democracy’, or otherwise share the fear that Trump will make a serious, sustained play to retain power. He’s far too lazy to go through the trouble. 

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t think the next few months are going to be good! I just don’t think we are facing down the ‘end of democracy’, or otherwise share the fear that Trump will make a serious, sustained play to retain power. He’s far too lazy to go through the trouble. 

I would agree. I think that if the election is reeeeally close, Trump will try to drag it out and force it to the courts, but if it comes down to millions of votes, there won't be too much trouble.

Early polling numbers almost certainly skew in favor of Biden, so we'll see how much of a surge Trump gets on election day.

So I'm not really worried about the election results. I'm wary of a 2000 situation where the Supreme Court steals it for Trump, or states order vote counts to be stopped in the days after. But all of that is ground we've trod before. 

After seeing these roving bands of insurgents loyal to the Trump regime all across the country in the last week, I'm most worried about The Days After. What happens if Biden winds up winning? What do the MAGA militia do? If Trump wins, or if the election is stolen, what do they do? 

The most worrying thing for me is definitely the cult around Trump. Because even with Biden as president, even with Dems controlling both houses of Congress... they will likely be out there agitating against whatever Biden policies there are. They'll be the ones to threaten politicians with violence--as they already have done. They'll threaten normal people. And they may do worse than threaten--and it'll be all but sanctioned by the cops. 

This is immediate, of course. There are bigger existential threats like climate change that Trump absolutely won't deal with and Biden will probably be slow to deal with, if at all. The pandemic is another thing. We know what another 4 years of Trump will be. I'm hopeful that Biden will usher in a strategy other than actively ignoring it. But even then, Trump's not going away. TrumpTV will beam the propaganda directly to peoples' facebook feeds and 1/3 of the country will refuse to do anything about it. 

I’m kind of worried. More so for what happens after election night if the votes are close. My dad doesn’t pay attention to the news because it stresses him out but he voted Biden. He asked me if Biden is going to win and I was like.... I think? And then I had to explain all this business from the GOP to throw out ballots and it pissed him off. Can’t wait for my republican brother to call my dad and try to justify what the GOP is doing like he tried to justify the shooting of Jacob Blake and my dad sat him down like he was a 6 year old who got caught lying. 

29 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Trump isn't who worries me. It's a lame duck Republican Senate with a lame duck president willing to sign anything that hits his desk.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Trump isn't who worries me. It's a lame duck Republican Senate with a lame duck president willing to sign anything that hits his desk.

What is going to hit his desk with a split congress?

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yup. Republicans learn all the wrong lessons. If Biden wins they will likely see pawning off the stimulus to an incoming Biden administration and all the damage that delay will cause as a perfect way to hamstring him out of the gate just like it did Obama.

With the election looming most coverage is about it, but I saw a story recently about why the delay in stimulus could be so damaging.

By December twelve million renters will be at least 5,000 dollars behind on their payments. The federal moratorium on evictions ends at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

So I'm not really worried about the election results. I'm wary of a 2000 situation where the Supreme Court steals it for Trump, or states order vote counts to be stopped in the days after. But all of that is ground we've trod before. 

After seeing these roving bands of insurgents loyal to the Trump regime all across the country in the last week, I'm most worried about The Days After. What happens if Biden winds up winning? What do the MAGA militia do? If Trump wins, or if the election is stolen, what do they do? 

The most worrying thing for me is definitely the cult around Trump. Because even with Biden as president, even with Dems controlling both houses of Congress... they will likely be out there agitating against whatever Biden policies there are. They'll be the ones to threaten politicians with violence--as they already have done. They'll threaten normal people. And they may do worse than threaten--and it'll be all but sanctioned by the cops. 

This is immediate, of course. There are bigger existential threats like climate change that Trump absolutely won't deal with and Biden will probably be slow to deal with, if at all. The pandemic is another thing. We know what another 4 years of Trump will be. I'm hopeful that Biden will usher in a strategy other than actively ignoring it. But even then, Trump's not going away. TrumpTV will beam the propaganda directly to peoples' facebook feeds and 1/3 of the country will refuse to do anything about it. 

You touch on something I was thinking about earlier.

People think of election related violence as riots in the streets. But rightwing militias have shown themselves to be much more sneaky than that.

Their reaction to a Biden presidency could be a significant increase in political violence spaced out over years.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Yup. Republicans learn all the wrong lessons. If Biden wins they will likely see pawning off the stimulus to an incoming Biden administration and all the damage that delay will cause as a perfect way to hamstring him out of the gate just like it did Obama.

With the election looming most coverage is about it, but I saw a story recently about why the delay in stimulus could be so damaging.

By December twelve million renters will be at least 5,000 dollars behind on their payments. The federal moratorium on evictions ends at the end of the year.

You touch on something I was thinking about earlier.

People think of election related violence riots in the streets. But rightwing militias have shown themselves to be much more sneaky than that.

Their reaction to a Biden presidency could be a significant increase in political violence spaced out of years.

Put them down as terrorist organizations. If facebook, google, web hosts, etc harbor them come after them with legal ramifications. 

1 minute ago, SlipperySlope said:

Put them down as terrorist organizations. If facebook, google, web hosts, etc harbor them come after then with legal ramifications. 

What do you do about them for the next three months? Like I said earlier, this is my biggest worry about this election. Doubly so since local law enforcement is very right wing and now than happy to embrace these terrorists.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Assuming Biden wins, I expect the crazy to get dialed up to beyond maximum during Trump's lame duck session. However, it'll be a lot easier to take it all in stride since we'll at least have a definitive endpoint to hold out for, instead of the current endless purgatory we're all stuck in.

2 hours ago, Comet said:

100% this. I explained to my wife that if Trump were to win we are pretty much completely shielded from the worst of it. We are citizens, we are upper middle class, we have jobs immune to covid’s economy, our wealth has grown not just this year but during the last four. So, I don’t have any “self-preservation” worrying that many people unfortunately have to worry about.

I feel this financially but not in terms of the fact that this sort environment inevitably goes badly for the Jews.

Uhhh, again, no one has disproven my theory that if Trump wins, it damns humanity to death with a certainty due to climate change, whereas with Biden, we have a slim chance to reverse it. 

So yeah, pretty fucking worried, I'd say. And for those not too worried; get worried. I think many of you are asleep at the wheel. If Biden wins handily, none of this applies, but in any context where things can be fudged, get the fuck ready. Like, read these fucking articles people:

GettyImages_1229328878.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

It’s not the most likely scenario. But it’s not impossible.

gettyimages_632327956_594x594.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

An expert on nonviolent civil resistance talks about when protests work, how they work, and when they become necessary.

I’m excited that we will finally get to know what we have in store for us for the next 4 years and believe it’s Biden, but I’m prepared to face Trump  and watch the country crumble further if that’s our fate. Luckily I think Trump is about to have an end and at least I’ll know that Americans were sane enough to make him a 1 term president regardless of how insane things will remain going forward. 

Pretty fucking worried really but it's the bigger picture for me as well. My aunt actually just moved back to Germany a few months ago and if I had the ability education-wise and all, I would be considering it. What I've witnessed in this country over the past few years especially has been repulsive and increasingly hard to watch. What I see is shit that should be absolute fringe internet craziness having turned into mainstream culture and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Personally, I have little hope for this cultural wreck of a place, it's too much of a generational infection the way I see it. I used to really push all these things aside because I was married, came of age here and my fam in law which I really respected and loved but ever since my marriage failed two years ago, I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing here anymore but that really doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand just had to rant for a sec. 

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Uhhh, again, no one has disproven my theory that if Trump wins, it damns humanity to death with a certainty due to climate change, whereas with Biden, we have a slim chance to reverse it. 

So yeah, pretty fucking worried, I'd say. And for those not too worried; get worried. I think many of you are asleep at the wheel. If Biden wins handily, none of this applies, but in any context where things can be fudged, get the fuck ready. Like, read these fucking articles people:

GettyImages_1229328878.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

It’s not the most likely scenario. But it’s not impossible.

gettyimages_632327956_594x594.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

An expert on nonviolent civil resistance talks about when protests work, how they work, and when they become necessary.

Man, if you think Biden is going to lower emissions, I think you’ve been misled. 

And it’s gonna take more than the USA to change very much. 

Mostly, just accept its over.

35 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Man, if you think Biden is going to lower emissions, I think you’ve been misled. 

And it’s gonna take more than the USA to change very much. 

Mostly, just accept its over.

I didn't say he would. But there's a chance. It's something man. As opposed to Trump definitively dooming us.

Either way, I have indeed accepted its a hole we likely won't crawl out of. But Biden may give us a shot at AOC and from there who knows.

Trump's climate plan: "People say I have the best climate plan. We have clean, tremendous air, all over the country. The air has never been cleaner. People say we've done a great job, the greatest job on climate."

Biden's climate plan: "uhhhh... fracking? Here's the deal, I love solar. Solar is great. I won't end fracking, but we need to seriously look into fracking."

It's not much, but it's something.

edit: On climate, you're choosing between someone who has a wishy-washy "eehhhh, MAYBE I'll THINK about a carbon tax, but probably not, but maybe, but probably not, but you never know!" solution to a problem, vs. someone who denies there even is a problem. It's... something.

Very worried for the following reasons.

1. Even low probability events should worry you if the effect is consequential enough.

2. I'm quite concerned about the voting situation we're in with Covid, the deterioration of the the USPS, and the active efforts the GOP is taking to *not* count votes.

3. I'm quite concerned about how people are going to respond regardless of the outcome.

22 hours ago, Coomer4Prez said:

First off, I'm not triggered. Secondly, the whole concept of white privilege is absolutely cancerous. He's assuming that he has systemically conferred dominance - I can assure you, he does not - through processes on an institutional level that makes him (his skin, his values, his ethics, his status, etc.) "normal", universal even. It's a shaming pejorative, one that indicates a lack of objectivity and disconnection with the harsher realities of the less fortunate. But he's using it in an attempt to be humble, that he has either made or taken part in some sort of moral transgression that needs to be addressed merely due to the circumstances surrounding his birth, most of which were entirely out of his control. It's original sin. It's depravity and a stain on one's soul that can only be removed through a life long process of spiritual work (anti-racism/activism).

So no, I'm not triggered. I'm sad actually, that people actually fall for this religious bullshit. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb Puerto Rican with the wrong ideas.

Assuming someone is using the wokest meaning of the term, especially @mclumber1 is rather uncharitable.

22 hours ago, Coomer4Prez said:

Back on topic, I'm not worried in the slightest. Doesn't matter who wins.

I'm not worried in the slightest. I don't base my day around which asshole is going to be in charge of the United States. They're all shit stains as far as I'm concerned.

Please don't become James Lindsay. Biden is far from my favorite candidate, but the difference between him and Trump is overwhelming. You're deluding yourself if you think otherwise and it's frankly baffling that after 2020, let alone these last 4 years, you think it doesn't matter. Please slap yourself and get your perspective back.

I'm not too worried about how people will vote, but I am worried about how people and our government will react to the results. I have this very specific image in my mind of a Trump tweet declaring victory which Twitter has to put a "this post contains misleading information on the election" warning, and I just don't know where we go from there. Not so much the nature of that twitter warning, but the idea that we could have a sitting President declaring victory far too early or even in the direct face of a loss.

One reason that I imagine that tweet more than anything is I can hardly imagine what other steps he might take. I think he's ultimately a very weak man I'd like to think that even his worst enablers wouldn't or couldn't find a legitimate legal challenge to a broad Biden win, but who knows. I think it's entirely too plausible that the media declares Biden the winner tomorrow night and Trump spends the next few months publicly declaring the election invalid. Who knows what happens then.

I'm also concerned about the immediate violence that seems increasingly likely. Not to myself personally, but in general. It's hard to imagine we don't end up with more than a couple stories of Trump supporters wielding those guns they like to parade around.

Even if Biden does win clearly and Trump doesn't contest it at all, I also worry about the long term effect of Trumpism. He's maintained so much support despite everything, and it's just so hard to imagine the right abandoning him and all that came with him. It's also hard to imagine undoing everything Trump has dismantled in a way that has a lasting impact. Even if the Democrats get a majority in both houses and the White House, how do you both reverse the damage Trump has done and put some kind of preventive measures in place for the future, during a pandemic, and while trying to accomplish any kind of positive agenda?

Hell, those are only my fears if Biden wins. I won't even enumerate my worries resulting from a Trump win.

6 minutes ago, Coomer4Prez said:

I was calling out this shit before it was even a blip on Linday's radar.

Well if you were previously assuming the least charitable position of someone and holding that who wins doesn't matter, you were wrong then too :p 

10 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm not too worried about how people will vote, but I am worried about how people and our government will react to the results.

1604331767579-ap20177013386529.jpeg?imag
WWW.VICE.COM

The D.C. police department is expecting protests and unrest, and spent about $130,000 on tear gas and other “less-lethal” munitions to prepare.