2/3 of American adults under 40 not aware of 6 million+ deaths in Holocaust (23% deny it existed)

6720.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

According to survey of adults 18-39, 23% said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, had been exaggerated or they weren’t sure

• 23% are Holocaust deniers
  • 63% unaware that 6m Jews died
  • 11% believe Jews caused Holocaust
  • 70% said it was not acceptable to hold Nazi views (so the other 30%...)
  • 48% cannot name a single camp or ghetto

Very sad that history is so soon forgotten, or warped.

• Guillotine 2

53 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I, uh, what? 

Sometimes I think I’m the rare exception for my generation. 

The alt-right is way more popular among young people then I like.

I ran into someone playing HOI4 (not suprising) that I called a legit Nazi. Legit both sidings the Soviets and Nazis. Legit asking for proof of 6 million Jews killed.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to 2/3 of American adults under 40 not aware of 6 million+ deaths in Holocaust (23% deny it existed)

I honestly don't remember even getting to reconstruction in my high school history classes. We did the revolutionary war and some time before that, then to the civil war then just stop really. Maybe we made it to the progressive era, I just remember the pictures from the pullman strike but I also read ahead because the class was so boring. Next history or civics class was on government/civics and I think this covers my formal high school "social studies" education.

That 23% grouping is kinda weird. The first two are denier categories, but I don’t think being unsure about something is equivalent to holocaust denial. Is there a link to the actual questions and answers?

For reference: 

merlin_133296678_65335c62-6d17-44ea-a579
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Nearly half of the Canadians surveyed could not name a single concentration camp or ghetto. The groups behind the study said it showed the pressing need for better Holocaust education.

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think it is, but I've edited it to reflect the specific question the 2/3 represents.

I’d say it was; if you asked me how many people died in the Holocaust I probably wouldn’t answer it accurately, but that doesn’t mean I was unaware of its existence or magnitude. 

These numbers sound about right. If you don't believe that some 20-30% of the country is unabashedly racist then I don't know where you've been the last few centuries. That accounts for the Holocaust deniers, the ones blaming the Jews, and the ones that don't view the Nazis in a negative light.

The rest is just good old American ignorance. They probably know a bunch of Jews died in the Holocaust, but they couldn't give you a number. They'd probably guess somewhere between 100,000 and a million, or maybe highball it to like 10m. As for the names on concentration camps, people don't even know the names of streets in their towns or the capital of the state at their closest border. I don't doubt for a second half of Americans couldn't name a concentration camp. I'm sure that number is closer to 90% if you tell them they can't include Auschwitz.

I wouldn’t be surprised if most people on this board couldn’t nail how many Soviet or Chinese civilian casualties there were doing WW2, or how many deaths the US caused during our napalm campaigns in Japan, and this board is likely above average in knowledge of history. The further out we get from an event in history the less importance the fine details get in teaching that history. The only category I think that matters here are the denier types.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if most people on this board couldn’t nail how many Soviet or Chinese civilian casualties there were doing WW2, or how many deaths the US caused during our napalm campaigns in Japan, and this board is likely above average in knowledge of history. The further out we get from an event in history the less importance the fine details get in teaching that history. The only category I think that matters here are the denier types.

I can recite the death tolls from practically every human atrocity in history from memory!

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I know people from Tulsa who learned about the massacre from wikipedia upon googling it after seeing Watchmen, so... yeah this all tracks.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not here to kink shame, Wade

• 23% are Holocaust deniers
  • 63% unaware that 6m Jews died
  • 11% believe Jews caused Holocaust
  • 70% said it was not acceptable to hold Nazi views (so the other 30%...)
  • 48% cannot name a single camp or ghetto
  • 0.00000001% still able to deliver sick burns in holocaust denial threads
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

My thoroughly scientific poll of my daughter and her boyfriend has returned the fact that they both knew the event in history, understood who the Nazi's were, and knew that "millions" of Jews died. The naming of camps was a swing an a miss for my daughter, but her boyfriend picked up the spare  with Auschwitz! Both agree, Nazi ideology = pretty damn bad.  My 7 year old just wanted to play Among Us and had little interest in answers my genocide related questions! :sun:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I'm aware of those numbers. But I also extensively read books on these subjects because I think history is pretty fucking important to learn.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My thoroughly scientific poll of my daughter and her boyfriend has returned the fact that they both knew the event in history, understood who the Nazi's were, and knew that "millions" of Jews died. The naming of camps was a swing an a miss for my daughter, but her boyfriend picked up the spare  with Auschwitz! Both agree, Nazi ideology = pretty damn bad.  My 7 year old just wanted to play Among Us and had little interest in answers my genocide related questions! :sun:

Same except it was my daughter who could name a concentration camp. My wife makes the rest of us look like fools, she knew 10 of the camp names. She can also tell you a good portion of the Nazi upper ranks, what they did and if what they were convicted of.

16 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Same except it was my daughter who could name a concentration camp. My wife makes the rest of us look like fools, she knew 10 of the camp names. She can also tell you a good portion of the Nazi upper ranks, what they did and if what they were convicted of.

Sounds like a perfect candidate to join me in my HOI4 games. Though we would be playing as the Allies so I don't want her marked as ANTIFA by DHS.