The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

8 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Reference models of any gpu usually run a lot hotter, that's surprising.

I have some weird airflow in my case so I think the FE's design might work better.  I also think the Zotac runs the hottest of any card.  I'm getting 70C max with the FE and the Zotac was around 76C.

geforce-rtx-3080-product-gallery-full-sc
VIDEOCARDZ.COM

NVIDIA has just told its board partners that it will not launch GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB cards as planned. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB canceled NVIDIA allegedly cancels its December launch of GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB. This still very fresh information comes from […]

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

I also forget I game at mostly 1080p, occasionally 1440p and a select few at 4k upscaled as I have a 1080p monitor. Neve seen past 5GB or so of usage.

From what I’ve read, ray tracing is where memory will become an issue in the next few years

On 10/21/2020 at 2:56 PM, BlueAngel said:

Is that much VRAM really needed though? I've yet to see a game come close to 8GB.

It depends on what you intend to use it for. If you are like me and are thinking about messing around with AI it would be great to have. More memory also helps for rendering stuff. The 3080 actually failed some rendering benchmarks because it simply ran out of video memory. A 3080 with more memory would be a real good deal considering the 3090's flaccid performance.

Gotta say. The lack of 3080 and 3090 drops is getting annoying. There was a good one about 1.5 weeks ago at Best Buy but it has been primarily zilch since.

I got my ass handed to me with Best Buy several times. Got to checkout multiple times and then denied.

Makes me wonder if they are waiting on either the 3070 launch or even Big Navi to drop before any more big shipments are made.

2 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

There were a bunch of people camping out at microcenter yesterday it's insane.

Debating if I should take an Uber to MC on the 4th. My mom got a 2nd job and she takes my car to it. I get out of work at 7pm and want to atleast check it out.

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I forgot that today was the day for the 3070. I had planned to check out my local Micro Center first thing this morning. Oh well. I'm not in a huge rush to get one.

There were lines but Microcenters seemed to have like 30ish cards.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Damn, you’re right. I could have grabbed one. I just drove the 20 minutes to it, and as I was pulling up, I saw guys leaving with them, but they had the last ones. 

Hopefully the Ryzen and Radeon launches are equal or better then this. 

Crap Forgeworld may be axing it's Death Korps of Krieg lineup. I may need to drop my upgrade plans for now. Still investigating.

Edit: False alarm people complaining about the new rules sucking. Though it is a concern. I'll try dor the 5950x and if I don't get it the funds that would go to that can be allocated to DKOK. I mainly need a new GPU anyway. Perhaps I will switch to the 6800XT and use the 250 savings for DKOK as well. 

5 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Crap Forgeworld may be axing it's Death Korps of Krieg lineup. I may need to drop my upgrade plans for now. Still investigating.

Edit: False alarm people complaining about the new rules sucking. Though it is a concern. I'll try dor the 5950x and if I don't get it the funds that would go to that can be allocated to DKOK. I mainly need a new GPU anyway. Perhaps I will switch to the 6800XT and use the 250 savings for DKOK as well. 

wtf is all that stuff you are talking about

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

Ya'll should have signed up with evga 

🤣, easy to say with hindsight. I signed up but I am so far back in line it isn't even funny.

At the beginning a sign up was worthless for emails at most stores. By the time you got the email they were sold out. I had no incentive at the time. 🤷‍♂️

The election prevented me from camping out. Was just too tired from following the news. I did go today and they had 1 5800x which I jumped on. However when I got home it appears I was given a 3600x so I need to return it. Picked it up during my lunch break so I couldb't go back. Have everything else but the GPU. All dressed up and no where to go.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:45 PM, Link200 said:

Just got a ASUS Strix 3090. Took long enough. Solid version at least!

Congrats! Was that direct from the ASUS site? Every time I got a notification they were in stock, the site would be slow as molasses, then speed up again as soon as they were sold out. 

15 hours ago, morph89 said:

Congrats! Was that direct from the ASUS site? Every time I got a notification they were in stock, the site would be slow as molasses, then speed up again as soon as they were sold out. 

Got it from Newegg.

I used a tracker called Stock Drops I believe. It sent me notifications min Discord. They will be tracking AMD stuff as well.

49 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Rumor has it that nVidia is dropping a 3080 Ti in January for $1k to better battle the 6900 XT.

Now I’m glad that I couldn’t find a 3080 :p 

Probably won't be able to find that one either. I wonder if it will have a performance increase. Rumors are it will be a 7nm chip.

I got a 5800x. Was hoping to get a 5950x but I am abandoning that idea. Plan to camp out for a 6800XT. My boy wants to camp for 6900XT might join him.

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Rumor has it that nVidia is dropping a 3080 Ti in January for $1k to better battle the 6900 XT.

Now I’m glad that I couldn’t find a 3080 :p 

Imagine the poor sods that bought a 3090 at retail or via a scalper for something a 1000 will be slight lower then/equal to/faster. 

I get discord notifications for stock on 3070, 3080, and 3090s. The 3090s still sell out. I hope its from people working from home that need it.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Probably won't be able to find that one either. I wonder if it will have a performance increase. Rumors are it will be a 7nm chip.

I got a 5800x. Was hoping to get a 5950x but I am abandoning that idea. Plan to camp out for a 6800XT. My boy wants to camp for 6900XT might join him.

By that time I expect the market to be better saturated since AMD will have their cards out too.

If a 3080 Ti is indeed coming, I expect 3090 performance with less cuda cores and 12-16gb of VRAM.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

By that time I expect the market to be better saturated since AMD will have their cards out too.

If a 3080 Ti is indeed coming, I expect 3090 performance with less cuda cores and 12-16gb of VRAM.

That would be a solid F for gamers only types that bought the 3090.

5 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

That would be a solid F for gamers only types that bought the 3090.

The difference between a 3080 and 3090 is barely 10% at 4k, if you get something like a 3080 FTW Ultra that’s pre-OCed, now it’s ~5%. They really don’t have any space to make a 3080 Ti be “in between”, except VRAM and cuda cores; performance will really have to match the 3090 to justify the expected $300 over the 3080.