The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

I love watching new PC tech hitting the market. This last gen was the first time I built a rig using the Top tier GPU on the market. I'm really getting the feeling though that a 3080Ti or 3090 {rumored}  will be the absolute sweet spot for quite a long time. It should easily push 4k / 60 on everything for a few years at least. Even so, I'd have to do a complete rebuild to even use it as my I7 9700k  would be a bottleneck now. I'm so impressed by the way this PC now runs games, next gen is gonna be awesome. I guess I could sell my Zotec extreme amp and get one of these later on, say November 2021? Oh and a new 9900k. My wallet will be watching, as we can't compete at these prices, I spent 1199 so I'll not be upgrading anytime soon

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I remember my first high end card purchase. A 6970, I'm thinking it was 2011 and I paid $350. That was a great card, lasted me a while.

My first real card (that I didn't buy from bestbuy) was a 6950 from some dude on Myspace who helped me build my first build. Good dude, good memories.

3 hours ago, Nokt said:

My first real card (that I didn't buy from bestbuy) was a 6950 from some dude on Myspace who helped me build my first build. Good dude, good memories.

I did own an 8800GT prior, that was my first "real" GPU. But I think it was kinda late when I bought it, it was my first time really getting into PC gaming. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was probably bought in 2008. My Newegg history only goes back to 2010. :p

Those are some good memories.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m really curious if the leaked prices are correct. $1400 for a 3090 and $700 for a 3080... a $700 gap between cards is kinda crazy unless the Titan has been rebadged with the “90” moniker.

It makes me wonder if the 3090 is going to be more geared to people doing AI work, because if it is that price, it is an absurd gap.

The VRAM difference between the 3080 and the 3090 is, to me, the most bizarre part of all of this. I know that GDDR6X has such a high throughput that the 10Gb on the 3080 is not as bad as some fear it will be, but then why go all the way up to 24Gb, which is certainly overkill for anything gaming related. I'd be inclined to follow @Legend 's logic but then why call it a 3090 and make it clear that its part of the Geforce line up? Good thing we only have a few hours left to address these mysteries of marketing... :p

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The VRAM difference between the 3080 and the 3090 is, to me, the most bizarre part of all of this. I know that GDDR6X has such a high throughput that the 10Gb on the 3080 is not as bad as some fear it will be, but then why go all the way up to 24Gb, which is certainly overkill for anything gaming related. I'd be inclined to follow @Legend 's logic but then why call it a 3090 and make it clear that its part of the Geforce line up? Good thing we only have a few hours left to address these mysteries of marketing... :p

Agreed. The naming doesn't quite fit the hypothesis. Sure seems like it otherwise though. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Maybe the extra 14gb is for data caching to make up for people’s lack of m.2 SSDs on future games :p 

• Haha 1