The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

Got so close to getting one from Best Buy today, it was in cart, but it was only for local pickup, and it kept saying I couldn't pick up at that store, so I'd switch stores, same story.

I'm on a 2080 Super right now, so I should probably wait for a 3080 ti, and probably will end up doing so by default. Of course, when the ti finally arrives, it'll be impossible to get and then I'll have to decide between buying a (possibly) more available 3080 or waiting for a ti to become available.

I can't remember the last time I've tried so hard and failed to buy something.

So all I can say is I'm never buying from Newegg again. Great sight for researching products. Horrible customer service.

Here's the situation so far. First they forced a bundle on me and then wouldn't let me return the extra item (an AMD motherboard) and saying I have to return the whole bundle, even though they are separate products. Then my shipment arrives multiple days late and the package is beat to heck. I had to fight with them to return it and after hours on the phone they finally are allowing me to refund the order.

Amazon has spoiled us with their customer service.

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Got so close to getting one from Best Buy today, it was in cart, but it was only for local pickup, and it kept saying I couldn't pick up at that store, so I'd switch stores, same story.

I'm on a 2080 Super right now, so I should probably wait for a 3080 ti, and probably will end up doing so by default. Of course, when the ti finally arrives, it'll be impossible to get and then I'll have to decide between buying a (possibly) more available 3080 or waiting for a ti to become available.

I can't remember the last time I've tried so hard and failed to buy something.

The next Ti or Super cards might be more readily available because Nvidia is buying more wafers from Samsung than TSMC for their next lineup.

"ASUS Confirms GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20 GB & GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB ROG STRIX Custom Graphics Cards"

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3060-Ti-Graphics-Card
WCCFTECH.COM

ASUS has confirmed two upcoming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series graphics cards, the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20 GB & the GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB.

• Like 1

I paid the dark price and bought a 3080 off of Stockx.... and it doesn't fit in my case.

To be clear, my case is plenty big and has more than enough room for it, but instead of just screwing the mounting plate to the case it uses a tool-less ratcheting locking mechanism that is blocking the card from going in all the way.

A4oAKK5.jpg

Fortunately the locking mechanism can be removed and I can take a Dremmel to it to get the card to slip in.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, ThreePi said:

I paid the dark price and bought a 3080 off of Stockx.... and it doesn't fit in my case.

To be clear, my case is plenty big and has more than enough room for it, but instead of just screwing the mounting plate to the case it uses a tool-less ratcheting locking mechanism that is blocking the card from going in all the way.

A4oAKK5.jpg

Fortunately the locking mechanism can be removed and I can take a Dremmel to it to get the card to slip in.

Shit I didn't realize that we sold gpus. 

33 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Hmm, you have my attention.  May I ask exactly what make/model it is so I can make sure it'll fit in my case and not blow up my PSU lol.

EVGA 11G-P4-2281-KR GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition Gaming, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED Graphics Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KSPW8HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_HaL7FbJVK1M1Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On 12/31/2020 at 5:27 PM, Spork3245 said:

EVGA 11G-P4-2281-KR GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition Gaming, 11GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED Graphics Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KSPW8HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_HaL7FbJVK1M1Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

After some research this card shouldn't use more power than what I'm currently using, and it's certainly a smaller card. If I don't grow impatient or spend all my money by that time I could go for it.

So I got the $600 today and decided to speed up getting the rest of the pc up to spec to match my 3080!

So far I got an i7 10850k and 32gb corsair vengeance 3200 ddr4 - only other things I need right now are a motherboard and cpu fan, ssds and case and and power supply (just got it) will be reused.

Any recommendations for motherboards/cpu fans? I want to stick with an air fan, not liquid cooling. Something quiet and but efficient.

Im thinking right now:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-z490-a-pro-socket-1200-usb-c-gen-2-intel-atx-motherboard-pcie-gen-2/6436464.p?skuId=6436464 - for the motherboard 

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15S-Premium-Dual-Tower-Cooler/dp/B00XUVGLEU - for the cooler

Any suggestions of something else to get? I think these are both about the right size for the case though I wouldn’t mind the fan being a bit smaller but idk, I do really like that brand.

@cusideabelincoln

@stepee

Those look like solid choices.  I'm not as familiar with Intel boards right now, but Anandtech recommends that board at its price range, and after looking over the features I agree.  The 2.5Gb Ethernet and plenty of USB ports is attractive.

And that's basically the best air cooler you can get so you'll have no problems sustaining max boost clocks as long as your case is decent.  If you had gone with an AMD CPU I'd recommend water because their boost clocks behave differently.

20 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@stepee

Those look like solid choices.  I'm not as familiar with Intel boards right now, but Anandtech recommends that board at its price range, and after looking over the features I agree.  The 2.5Gb Ethernet and plenty of USB ports is attractive.

And that's basically the best air cooler you can get so you'll have no problems sustaining max boost clocks as long as your case is decent.  If you had gone with an AMD CPU I'd recommend water because their boost clocks behave differently.

Awesome! Lol yeah I did try to research a bit before asking.

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Awesome! Lol yeah I did try to research a bit before asking.

Yea, that’s a good motherboard if you don’t need anything too crazy in regards to tons of USB and m.2 ports. That cooler is one of the better air coolers out there, you should be able to hit 5-5.2ghz on the 10850k (base clock). What were you upgrading from, a Ryzen 2600? :confused: 

I keep debating on upgrading my CPU/Mobo as well, mostly because I can’t find a damn 3080, but I’m pretty sure it would be pointless :p 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, that’s a good motherboard if you don’t need anything too crazy in regards to tons of USB and m.2 ports. That cooler is one of the better air coolers out there, you should be able to hit 5-5.2ghz on the 10850k (base clock). What were you upgrading from, a Ryzen 2600? :confused: 

I keep debating on upgrading my CPU/Mobo as well, mostly because I can’t find a damn 3080, but I’m pretty sure it would be pointless :p 

I’m switching from an i7 4970k which has ddr3 ram. They both seem to be bottlenecks at times especially noticed with minimum frame rates. I think anything like 6th gen intel/amd equivalent and up is still probably fine for now but yeah this just wasn’t cutting it with this card.

finally got my new build up and running with the beautiful 3080 ftw ultra in it.  still messing around with some things and plan on throwing something like cyberpunk or metro exodus soon to give it a good ride.

still adjusting some fan curves but generally seems to be sitting about about 25-30c idle cant even hear it running so far.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m switching from an i7 4970k which has ddr3 ram. They both seem to be bottlenecks at times especially noticed with minimum frame rates. I think anything like 6th gen intel/amd equivalent and up is still probably fine for now but yeah this just wasn’t cutting it with this card.

Were you OC’d?

49 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Were you OC’d?

Na, it runs at a steady 4,390mhz basically but something about it, it just wouldn’t oc at all or it would crash, even to 4.4. Maybe it could be stabilized with better voltage adjustment  but I won’t bother with it now.