The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Na, it runs at a steady 4,390mhz basically but something about it, it just wouldn’t oc at all or it would crash, even to 4.4. Maybe it could be stabilized with better voltage adjustment  but I won’t bother with it now.

Ugh, you must’ve gotten a dud. An OC would’ve helped tremendously, and you really shouldn’t have needed to touch the voltage. I got basically nothing going from an OCed i7 3770k w/DDR3 to an OCed i9 5960x w/DDR4. Since you’re stuck running at stock speeds you’ll definitely get a nice boost.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Ugh, you must’ve gotten a dud. An OC would’ve helped tremendously, and you really shouldn’t have needed to touch the voltage. I got basically nothing going from an OCed i7 3770k w/DDR3 to an OCed i9 5960x w/DDR4. Since you’re stuck running at stock speeds you’ll definitely get a nice boost.

Luckily I didn’t actually buy this cpu new or anything, first thing I do usually is overclock the cpu so I would have noticed, but this is just my dads old cpu I’ve been using with the 3080 until I get all this fun stuff. :D

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Luckily I didn’t actually buy this cpu new or anything, first thing I do usually is overclock the cpu so I would have noticed, but this is just my dads old cpu I’ve been using with the 3080 until I get all this fun stuff. :D

In that case, you sure it’s a K and not the non-K which can’t OC without crashing? :p 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

In that case, you sure it’s a K and not the non-K which can’t OC without crashing? :p 

Kinda? lol

Ive never seen the box or anything but that’s what it shows in bios and windows. Could be a bad core that normally doesn’t get used too much and the whole thing shuts down when I try to lock speed.

It was good enough to get me through the holidays tho!

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

Kinda? lol

Ive never seen the box or anything but that’s what it shows in bios and windows. Could be a bad core that normally doesn’t get used too much and the whole thing shuts down when I try to lock speed.

It was good enough to get me through the holidays tho!

I know it’s totally irrelevant and has zero meaning, but it’s just bugging me that it’s a dud for OCing since that’s rare with Intel CPUs (but does happen) :p 

Anyway, the 10850 should easily hit 5.2ghz base clocks on an OC so you’ll see a nice boost in framerate and frame pacing. 
I just built my dad a new PC for Christmas with an i3-10100 and a b460 mobo. I ran a couple of CPU benchmarks and stock vs stock it was impressive to see that it was neck and neck with top-end CPUs from just a couple years back :sun: 

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I know it’s totally irrelevant and has zero meaning, but it’s just bugging me that it’s a dud for OCing since that’s rare with Intel CPUs (but does happen) :p 

Anyway, the 10850 should easily hit 5.2ghz base clocks on an OC so you’ll see a nice boost in framerate and frame pacing. 
I just built my dad a new PC for Christmas with an i3-10100 and a b460 mobo. I ran a couple of CPU benchmarks and stock vs stock it was impressive to see that it was neck and neck with top-end CPUs from just a couple years back :sun: 

Yeah it’ll be nice having the whole pc all fresh, I just hate motherboard/cpu changes so I hope this mb/cpu lasts at least 4 years or something lol. Other upgrades I like doing!

21 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

CPU-Z will tell you or Task Manager. No way a 4790k is not gonna overclock.

Yeah, cpu-z shows a 4790k, idk lol. I should also mention the computer won’t even power on unless I press the cmos button on the motherboard and then I get a cmos mismatch and have to press a button on the keyboard to continue (and then go to bios to get my ram timings what I want because it resets).

So yeah something is wrong but it was good enough to play through a few games and it won’t matter in a couple weeks!

44 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

CPU-Z will tell you or Task Manager. No way a 4790k is not gonna overclock.

(OC) Duds do happen, it’s just not overly common on Intel CPUs made in the past 12 or so years. @stepee got the short-end of the stick with his :sadsun: 

*it could also be due to a bad or poorly designed motherboard 

EDIT: after reading the above post, it’s probably a bad/dying motherboard that’s the issue :p 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeooc is there a reason you went Intel instead of AMD?

Essentially just to be able to order it. There is no way I would find an amd cpu in stock that would be better for the $400 I paid right now.

If I hadn’t already worn my patience with finding the 3080 then maybe I would have paid extra and tried to get the 5900x for the extra cores + pcie4 but there is no way I was going to deal with that. The 10850 was the right price, available, and the reviews/benches put it high up there.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

Essentially just to be able to order it. There is no way I would find an amd cpu in stock that would be better for the $400 I paid right now.

If I hadn’t already worn my patience with finding the 3080 then maybe I would have paid extra and tried to get the 5900x for the extra cores + pcie4 but there is no way I was going to deal with that. The 10850 was the right price, available, and the reviews/benches put it high up there.

Did you at least get the Avengers edition 10850? *game not included

:p 

Well, I woke up to a nice surprise today. If Best Buy doesn’t fuck it up, I’ll have a Founders Edition 3080 this weekend. Apparently they had a big drop today and my husband ordered one for me. Got himself a 3070, because by the time he got my order, 3080s were out of stock. 

We’re visiting my parents this weekend, so I won’t be able to pick it up when it arrives Saturday, but I’m gonna try to get back early enough to get it on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, I woke up to a nice surprise today. If Best Buy doesn’t fuck it up, I’ll have a Founders Edition 3080 this weekend. Apparently they had a big drop today and my husband ordered one for me. Got himself a 3070, because by the time he got my order, 3080s were out of stock. 

We’re visiting my parents this weekend, so I won’t be able to pick it up when it arrives Saturday, but I’m gonna try to get back early enough to get it on Sunday. 

Nice!!

On 1/4/2021 at 3:34 PM, Spork3245 said:

ASUS raised the msrp on all of their 3xxx series cards. They’ve become their own scalper

I believe the MSRP increase is due to tariff exemptions expiring (I think there was a press release out there about it from ASUS). I would expect the rest of the companies to follow suit on MSRP hikes soon as well. I think it is like a 25% tariff on graphics cards from China done during one of Trump's trade war escalations. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I did pick up an extra shift at premium pay. Maybe I could be incentivized to do a couple more and go for it all at once.

One nice thing about covid.

You can justify it too saying you need both at the same time, without the cpu you probably won’t be able to take as much advantage of the 120hz screen, without the 120hz screen you can’t take full advantage of cpu!

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, sweet jesus, this is wonderful. AC Valhalla at maxed setting and running buttery smooth. I'm a happy girl.

Next question. Do I upgade to a 120hz monitor or upgrade my CPU?

What’s your current CPU and is it OCed?
Pending that, I’d wait for DDR5 to upgrade the CPU: should be coming with the next Intel chipset this year (AMD will probably follow-suit shortly thereafter). Otherwise, AMD would be the way to go since they currently have PCIE 4.0 and Intel is on 3.0 until their next chipset.

On 1/8/2021 at 1:22 AM, Littleronin said:

I believe the MSRP increase is due to tariff exemptions expiring (I think there was a press release out there about it from ASUS). I would expect the rest of the companies to follow suit on MSRP hikes soon as well. I think it is like a 25% tariff on graphics cards from China done during one of Trump's trade war escalations. 

Yeah I was going to try to get one soon but now a used card seems like a better option. I need something that can do the average VG game at 90 FPS 🤔

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What’s your current CPU and is it OCed?
Pending that, I’d wait for DDR5 to upgrade the CPU: should be coming with the next Intel chipset this year (AMD will probably follow-suit shortly thereafter). Otherwise, AMD would be the way to go since they currently have PCIE 4.0 and Intel is on 3.0 until their next chipset.

A Ryzen 5 1600. I've never OC'd.