The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

12 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, sweet jesus, this is wonderful. AC Valhalla at maxed setting and running buttery smooth. I'm a happy girl.

Next question. Do I upgade to a 120hz monitor or upgrade my CPU?

As others said, you might need a new CPU to gain from the 120hz display, with an exception if you play a bunch of older games on your PC. FWIW, my understanding is developers expect many-core systems to be particularly useful to raytracing, but since the technology (for real-time rendering) is so new I'm not sure if that will be born out or not.

So if you *had* to order it, maybe get the CPU first? But I will say, 120hz is pretty nice. When I first enabled it on my Lg TV I was blown away that I immediately noticed it just in tracking my mouse cursor movement. I wasn't expecting it to be so obvious so quickly even with something mundane.

21 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

A Ryzen 5 1600. I've never OC'd. 

I’m unsure how well those OC or even the performance gains on them from an OC. Since it’s a Ryzen/AM4 chipset, I’m pretty certain that with a BIOS update your current motherboard is compatible with the newest Ryzens (double check!), so, you could grab a 3700x or 5700x and just upgrade the CPU. :) 

50 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m unsure how well those OC or even the performance gains on them from an OC. Since it’s a Ryzen/AM4 chipset, I’m pretty certain that with a BIOS update your current motherboard is compatible with the newest Ryzens (double check!), so, you could grab a 3700x or 5700x and just upgrade the CPU. :) 

Husband just upgraded to one of the new CPUs and he's had nothing but trouble on his new mobo. Even last night when installing his 3070, he had issues with booting up. He's about ready to throw the damned thing in the trash. Lol

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband just upgraded to one of the new CPUs and he's had nothing but trouble on his new mobo. Even last night when installing his 3070, he had issues with booting up. He's about ready to throw the damned thing in the trash. Lol

Save ddr5 for your next computer upgrade and wait for ddr5 prices to go down and just get an i9 10850 like I’m getting today and we will be twins!

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Is he running the latest bios? I heard the stock/shipped bios has a lot of issues on some AM4 mobos that was later fixed (it depends on the production date).

@Spork3245 @CastlevaniaNut18 First gen Ryzen motherboards (X370 or B350 chipset) don't officially support the new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.  Some might have special BIOSs for them, but most won't.  Ryzen 3000 CPU support is also not guaranteed for every board.

I'd recommend going for the monitor upgrade first, because I'm assuming you're either going for 1440p or 4k resolution which will put your video card to work more.  And it should be easier to find a monitor than CPU right now.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@Spork3245 @CastlevaniaNut18 First gen Ryzen motherboards (X370 or B350 chipset) don't officially support the new Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.  Some might have special BIOSs for them, but most won't.  Ryzen 3000 CPU support is also not guaranteed for every board.

Good to know - I’m not overly familiar with modern AMD mobos. I would still say she should check her current mobo’s specs to see if it has official/good support for a 3700x. While I certainly believe CPUs bottlenecking GPUs is VASTLY overblown most of the time, that R1600 is almost certainly greatly reducing the performance of the 3080. The Ryzen 3700x also isn’t overly hard to find compared to the 5xxx Ryzen series. :) 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Is he running the latest bios? I heard the stock/shipped bios has a lot of issues on some AM4 mobos that was later fixed (it depends on the production date).

Yep. That's why he's so baffled. It's working fine now. The weird thing last night was he said it was hanging at the bios when trying to detects SATA drives.  He unplugged them and it was fine. Turned it back off, rebooted, plugged them back in and it was fine. It didn't happen until he installed the 3070. That's why he said it didn't make any sense. This isn't his first issue since upgrading. His first mobo was just fucked and he got a replacement but still had random issues.

Currently, shit is working fine. For now.

32 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'd recommend going for the monitor upgrade first, because I'm assuming you're either going for 1440p or 4k resolution which will put your video card to work more.  And it should be easier to find a monitor than CPU right now.

I think this is the route I'll go for now.

Oh, I'm going to replace my PSU because I've got AWFUL coil whine with the 3080. It was there with my 980 and I guess I always assumed it was the card, but it wasn't too bad so I ignored it. Can't ignore this shit and it's definitely my PSU. Husband was trying to fix it today, but with no luck. So that'll be my first purchase. I may wait on the monitor for another week.

I'm really not super techie and my husband helps me with most of this. Good chance I wouldn't be PC gaming if not for him.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, I'm going to replace my PSU because I've got AWFUL coil whine with the 3080. It was there with my 980 and I guess I always assumed it was the card, but it wasn't too bad so I ignored it. Can't ignore this shit and it's definitely my PSU. Husband was trying to fix it today, but with no luck. So that'll be my first purchase. I may wait on the monitor for another week.

I'm really not super techie and my husband helps me with most of this. Good chance I wouldn't be PC gaming if not for him.

What brand PSU? Age? Some companies offer a 10 year warranty on their PSUs :sun: 

I’d recommend EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic if it’s out of warranty. 

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Good to know - I’m not overly familiar with modern AMD mobos. I would still say she should check her current mobo’s specs to see if it has official/good support for a 3700x. While I certainly believe CPUs bottlenecking GPUs is VASTLY overblown most of the time, that R1600 is almost certainly greatly reducing the performance of the 3080. The Ryzen 3700x also isn’t overly hard to find compared to the 5xxx Ryzen series. :) 

Some games will definitely be held back a lot, such as not breaking 60 fps.  But it's hard to make a blanket statement.  It really depends on the game because each engine behaves differently.  This may be why you see some people make the CPU a bigger issue than others.

I have the 3700x, and it doesn't always meet my standards.  I want a *minimum* of 120 fps in some games, and I need a minimum of 60-65 fps in any other game because that's my monitor's low cutoff for Gsync.  Even when I turn my settings to the minimum, I see framerate drops below my preferred 120 in games like Apex Legends and CoD multiplayer.  Thankfully no game runs below 60 fps without tweaking the settings.

edit:  For Cyberpunk my GPU is definitely holding me back. How's your 2080 Ti doing ;)  While I would love a 3080 myself, I don't feel like camping out online for one, and my frugal side tells me it's not worth the price difference over the 2080 Ti.

4 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Some games will definitely be held back a lot, such as not breaking 60 fps.  But it's hard to make a blanket statement.  It really depends on the game because each engine behaves differently.  This may be why you see some people make the CPU a bigger issue than others.

I have the 3700x, and it doesn't always meet my standards.  I want a *minimum* of 120 fps in some games, and I need a minimum of 60-65 fps in any other game because that's my monitor's low cutoff for Gsync.  Even when I turn my settings to the minimum, I see framerate drops below my preferred 120 in games like Apex Legends and CoD multiplayer.  Thankfully no game runs below 60 fps without tweaking the settings.

I mean... a blanket statement isn’t that hard in this case:

BSRAxtPj64EBb3nAEPANGR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Breaking the bottleneck

:santasun:

Edit: but, yes, going over 60 shouldn’t be an issue regardless :) 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

What brand PSU? Age? Some companies offer a 10 year warranty on their PSUs :sun: 

I’d recommend EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic if it’s out of warranty. 

It's a Corsair. I'm not sure the exact year I bought it, but quite possible it's about 10 years old. It was the first good PSU I bought when I built my first serious gaming PC.

LOL, I just checked. I order this PSU on 1-7-2011. :lol:

6 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

edit:  For Cyberpunk my GPU is definitely holding me back. How's your 2080 Ti doing ;)  While I would love a 3080 myself, I don't feel like camping out online for one, and my frugal side tells me it's not worth the price difference over the 2080 Ti.

Just saw the edit :p 

Give me until the end of the month to make sure there’s no issues with my incoming 3080 - this also gives you 2-ish weeks to keep searching for a 3070. But, yea, totally up for sale after. :sun: 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean... a blanket statement isn’t that hard in this case:

BSRAxtPj64EBb3nAEPANGR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Breaking the bottleneck

:santasun:

Good link, I was looking for some 1440p data.  

I also didn't make myself clear, in that I was using 60 fps minimum as the standard here.  As the 4770k demonstrates, which the Ryzen 1600 should be comparable to, it can operate above this standard most of the time, so this is why I suggested to do a monitor upgrade first.  And then upgrade the CPU to unlock the full potential of her system.

But I guess it really doesn't matter which comes first.  There will be a bottleneck at some point.  

Just now, cusideabelincoln said:

Good link, I was looking for some 1440p data.  

I also didn't make myself clear, in that I was using 60 fps minimum as the standard here.  As the 4770k demonstrates, which the Ryzen 1600 should be comparable to, it can operate above this standard most of the time, so this is why I suggested to do a monitor upgrade first.  And then upgrade the CPU to unlock the full potential of her system.

But I guess it really doesn't matter which comes first.  There will be a bottleneck at some point.  

Yup! I put an edit at the end of my post a few minutes ago confirming basically the same thing :sun: 

34 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card, but I haven't upgraded in like 4 or 5 years and I have no idea what's what anymore. Any tips? I'm trying not to go over about $450. I'm not playing in 4k or VR or anything, so it's not like I need the beefiest bullshit.

Maybe take someone's hand me down. :p

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card, but I haven't upgraded in like 4 or 5 years and I have no idea what's what anymore. Any tips? I'm trying not to go over about $450. I'm not playing in 4k or VR or anything, so it's not like I need the beefiest bullshit.

What do you currently have, what are your other specs, what resolution are you playing at, what graphical settings are you looking for, etc?

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What do you currently have, what are your other specs, what resolution are you playing at, what graphical settings are you looking for, etc?

I have a 970. I'm getting a 1440p monitor, but I honestly play on my TV most of the time, which is 1080p. I don't need to have super maxed out ultra big dick graphics at 140fps, I'm fine keeping it at high settings at ~50-60 fps.

I haven't had trouble running really any game, it's only within the last year or two that certain games have started to chug a bit. AC Odyssey would drop to something like ~25 fps every once in a while, for example.

I'm adding another 8GB of memory, so maybe that will help some.

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I have a 970. I'm getting a 1440p monitor, but I honestly play on my TV most of the time, which is 1080p. I don't need to have super maxed out ultra big dick graphics at 140fps, I'm fine keeping it at high settings at ~50-60 fps.

I haven't had trouble running really any game, it's only within the last year or two that certain games have started to chug a bit. AC Odyssey would drop to something like ~25 fps every once in a while, for example.

I'm adding another 8GB of memory, so maybe that will help some.

CPU? RAM? :p 

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sorry, forgot about that. Cpu is an i5 @ 3.5ghz. 12 GB of RAM.

Do you know which i5? ie: an i5 2500k is a big difference from an i5 6500k.

I’m asking as you may need to upgrade your CPU as well, to something with 8 threads, as 4 threads will hamper a GPU upgrade.

Regardless, I think you should be targeting something like a 3060 Ti, HOWEVER, they are VERY difficult to get atm. An alternative would be to grab an EVGA 1660 Ti, or another EVGA card that’s easy to find, and use their step-up program to pay the difference and switch it out for a 3060 or 3070. :) 

1 minute ago, Joe said:

How terrible is the RTX 2060? My wife has a sorta kinda gaming rig for work (she does fire sprinkler design) and we just checked for shits and giggles the card and it's the RTX 2060. Is it good enough to play Cyberpunk, for example?

It’s a decent card, low-mid range. Target is 1080p for it. Should be fine for cyberpunk, no RTX, at 1080p.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Do you know which i5? ie: an i5 2500k is a big difference from an i5 6500k.

I’m asking as you may need to upgrade your CPU as well, to something with 8 threads, as 4 threads will hamper a GPU upgrade.

Regardless, I think you should be targeting something like a 3060 Ti, HOWEVER, they are VERY difficult to get atm. An alternative would be to grab an EVGA 1660 Ti, or another EVGA card that’s easy to find, and use their step-up program to pay the difference and switch it out for a 3060 or 3070. :) 

i5-4690k. It's only 4 threads.

4 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Do you want my 5700XT?

How much do you want for it?