The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Fair enough sir! Given that my rig is hooked up to an LG C9 I have only a few minutes of playing at 4K/120/HDR, but I will tell you that following LG's firmware update, I will always be gaming in that mode whenever a game allows, as it's truly a beautiful smooth experience. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did! Otherwise, the card is a beast. It will run just anything well, with the exception of titles like Starcitizen, which runs poorly no matter what hardware you throw at it. The card also runs quite a bit cooler and quieter than my 2080ti ever did. Counting the fan in the GPU itself, I have 11 fans running in my case and the whole thing is whisper quiet! Very impressive! 

AC: Odyssey actually runs rock solid at 60 (probably higher if G-sync was off, but who cares!) Ubisoft games as such crap on PC so it's nice to run one so damn smoothly. 

If you still have your backorder in and it goes through let me know. I will buy it at cost from you.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

My card crashes/restarts my pc under load, think my psu cant handle the spikes. Its an 850watt gold but it's a pretty meh brand (cooler master) and it's 8 years old (only saw 1.5 years of usage though). Time to drop another $200 :cry:

After troubleshooting since Monday, this is where I’m at too. :/

I have 750w corsair which should be good enough but I keep getting hard locks after a certain amount of time. The psu is also 5-6 years old. If I lock it down so it stays below 300w it seems to last a long time, some stuff doesn’t even crash. But at normal speed I get maybe 30min in Control.

Thought maybe I didn’t have three separate pcie connectors plugged into the psu but I guess I do after taking it apart yesterday. I tried everything software and driver wise possible.

Its either the card itself or the psu but I’m noticing a coil whine now when under load so I’m leaning towards psu sighhhhh. I do also notice power limit warnings too.

Anyone have any recommendations for a psu under $200 that would support a 3080 ftw3 (up to 450w)?

Like would this work okay?

10036741.box.GIF
WWW.FRYS.COM

Raidmax Cobra 1000W 80 Plus Gold ATX Power Supply

I could just walk over and pick that one up or 

10008641.box.GIF
WWW.FRYS.COM

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB 750w 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX PSU Power Supply

or

10053601.box.GIF
WWW.FRYS.COM

Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Non-Modular PSU with Hydraulic Bearing Fan PS-SPD-0750NNFABU-1

Cheaper the better as long as it will support the 3080 for like probably a year max because I plan to replace everything besides the card next year.

51 minutes ago, stepee said:

Cheaper the better as long as it will support the 3080 for like probably a year max because I plan to replace everything besides the card next year.

If its a money issue I can understand this reasoning but if your gonna buy a better one in year just buy the better one now

$100 cheap PSU now plus a $150-$200 PSU in 6-12months =$250-$300

$150-$200 PSU now and in 6-12 months =$150-$200

1 hour ago, stepee said:

After troubleshooting since Monday, this is where I’m at too. :/

I have 750w corsair which should be good enough but I keep getting hard locks after a certain amount of time. The psu is also 5-6 years old. If I lock it down so it stays below 300w it seems to last a long time, some stuff doesn’t even crash. But at normal speed I get maybe 30min in Control.

Does yours crash all the way to a system reboot aswell?

I'm faily certain psu is the cause because of this (windows log critical error 41 kernal power). Mine crashes almost instantly in 1440p in any newish game unless i lower the clocks by an absurd number like 400mhz.

I'm going to try to swing by micro center today to pick up a new psu see if it resolves the problem 

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

Does yours crash all the way to a system reboot aswell?

I'm faily certain psu is the cause because of this (windows log critical error 41 kernal power). Mine crashes almost instantly in 1440p in any newish game unless i lower the clocks by an absurd number like 400mhz.

I'm going to try to swing by micro center today to pick up a new psu see if it resolves the problem 

Mine hard locks so there is nothing I can do but turn off full system power and turn the pc back on yeah.

Im trying 4k/60 and Control especially locks after a few minutes at default speed. It seems unless I’m in the low 200’s wattage I have issues.

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

If its a money issue I can understand this reasoning but if your gonna buy a better one in year just buy the better one now

$100 cheap PSU now plus a $150-$200 PSU in 6-12months =$250-$300

$150-$200 PSU now and in 6-12 months =$150-$200

I’m more limited by more choices really since mostly I want one of those three so I can pick it up in a little bit today. I don’t mind getting the $170 one instead of the $120 one or whatever especially if it would actually be good enough to keep in my new build and the $120 wasn’t. I just don’t know anything about psus and it any of these will work.

@stepee

I'm grabbing one of these behemoths 

0501648_685099.jpg
WWW.MICROCENTER.COM

Get it now! Find over 30,000 products at your local Micro Center, including the Prime Ultra 850 Watt 80 Plus Titanium ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

there will be little doubt of where the weak link is after I fire it up.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m more limited by more choices really since mostly I want one of those three so I can pick it up in a little bit today. I don’t mind getting the $170 one instead of the $120 one or whatever especially if it would actually be good enough to keep in my new build and the $120 wasn’t. I just don’t know anything about psus and it any of these will work.

Either of the 2 Thermaltakes would be fine, I would go for 850 if it was me.

Also the other reason I was saying cheaper the better because I plan to replace the rest is that I’m probably just going to do a custom built cyber power or something without the gpu next year so I don’t have to deal with putting it together, so I probably won’t use the psu after that actually. So if that $92 one will work for now then that sounds good to me!

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m skeptical on the raidmax just because I never heard of them

Not only that but the reviews for are it slim, which makes me second guess it. The Thermaltake isnt my preferred choice but its at least as reliable if not more so then the raidmax.

@stepee The Thermaltake Toughpower is the best of the three and should be sufficient, but not top-tier.  I wouldn't trust the Raidmax one; they are a case manufacturer.

Seasonic is your best option like @thedarkstark is going for.   Their power supplies perform the best under transient loads (when the system requires rapid changes in load the power supply is quick enough to supply that wattage without going out of voltage spec), and the turbo boosting features of new CPUs and GPUs put a lot of transient load on the power supply - especially the GPU since it uses 3-5 times the power a CPU will use.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Seasonic is your best option like @thedarkstark is going for.   Their power supplies perform the best under transient loads (when the system requires rapid changes in load the power supply is quick enough to supply that wattage without going out of voltage spec), and the turbo boosting features of new CPUs and GPUs put a lot of transient load on the power supply - especially the GPU since it uses 3-5 times the power a CPU will use.

So far so good after swapping out the old PSU with the Seasonic, still need to run more tests but I just ran furmark for 30 minutes and no crashes at the factory OC setting (1800mhz)

It was insta-restarting before. 

@stepee Seasonic has a 12 year manufacturer warranty if you decide to go that route.

5 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@stepee The Thermaltake Toughpower is the best of the three and should be sufficient, but not top-tier.  I wouldn't trust the Raidmax one; they are a case manufacturer.

Read this too late and got the thermaltake smart one for $92, testing it now, fingers crossed. Hopefully it’ll be good enough for my brief use of it because even if it is the card not my psu causing the crashes, the noise from the other one is unacceptable and this is quiet now.

I did try ddu a few times and uninstalling precision and did it a few different ways but never got any positive results.

Just now, stepee said:

Read this too late and got the thermaltake smart one for $92, testing it now, fingers crossed. Hopefully it’ll be good enough for my brief use of it because even if it is the card not my psu causing the crashes, the noise from the other one is unacceptable and this is quiet now.

I did try ddu a few times and uninstalling precision and did it a few different ways but never got any positive results.

I guess I wrote this a few hours ago and forgot to hit submit. Ya I got the new psu in and that was the problem and now I have a gaming pc again and it’s rad

• Like 1