The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

7 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Imagine the poor sods that bought a 3090 at retail or via a scalper for something a 1000 will be slight lower then/equal to/faster. 

I get discord notifications for stock on 3070, 3080, and 3090s. The 3090s still sell out. I hope its from people working from home that need it.

We not poor though.

After 2 days without a PC I am up and running. Long story short had to buy a 3600 in order to update the BiOS. 5800X starts up. Need to secure the heatsink and am making a new Windows 10 USB. 

So word of warning atleast with Gigabyte their processorless bios update tool failed me.

22 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Pretty sure AMD lends out CPUs for bios upgrade.

Been 3 days without a computer and it was horrible. I am up and running. Too tired to tinker. Now to wait for the 6800XT launch.

I have heard that but didn't want to wait. I will probably just return the RAM and 3600 I bought put the money to the 6800XT. Probably get some more RGB fans. May also still technically be in the market for a 5950x. I don't think this chip can pull 5Ghz on all cores.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I will give someone a $25 PSN, Steam, Nintendo, or XBOX gift card if they can help me get an EVGA 3080 FTW/FTW Ultra for retail. No, really. I’ve had zero luck. 

I was seriously thinking it might have been Jan/Feb before I got my step-up notice. So I guess there is hope. But yeah, I am glad I decided to just buy a new card and put in for the step-up the moment it arrived instead of trying to get one via the normal retail channels. 

31 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

I was seriously thinking it might have been Jan/Feb before I got my step-up notice. So I guess there is hope. But yeah, I am glad I decided to just buy a new card and put in for the step-up the moment it arrived instead of trying to get one via the normal retail channels. 

If I was still on a 980 Ti and not a 2080 Ti that’s the exact strategy I would have used.

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I want a 3080 so bad. Every time I see Newegg is doing a drop of cards, I get a little excited and then complete failure. 

This blows. 

Sign up for stockdrop’s telegram channel. The easiest strategy would to be to buy an EVGA 20xx card and use their step-up program, though (since you’re on a 980 iirc).

This discord has been fast and accurate. I scored an EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra last night thanks to it.

ee7c382d9257652a88c8f7b7f22a994d.png
DISCORD.COM

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Speaking of which I have an extra and brand new, unopened ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard that I would sell below retail if anyone is interested.

2 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

This discord has been fast and accurate. I scored an EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra last night thanks to it.

ee7c382d9257652a88c8f7b7f22a994d.png
DISCORD.COM

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Speaking of which I have an extra and brand new, unopened ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard that I would sell below retail if anyone is interested.

I click on the alerts within 5-seconds and it’s out of stock.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I click on the alerts within 5-seconds and it’s out of stock.

Same, it took me a few days. I think I got through last night due to the stock drop of so many cards/bundles hitting all at once. That said, I almost ordered a second one for a friend but decided against it because I didn't want the hassle of trying to sell an add random part I didn't want/need.

3 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

I'll keep my EVGA notifies open for you. Based on the community spreadsheet that they run I should be getting very close. If I get my notification to order soon I'll reach out to you via a PM.

Thank you! I’m on the list too, I’m 99% sure I filled out their auto-notify the day it went up and still nothing :/ 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Thank you! I’m on the list too, I’m 99% sure I filled out their auto-notify the day it went up and still nothing :/ 

The one I'm very close on is the Hybrid FTW 3080, which I prefer over the one that I got. So I'd potentially swap that out for the FTW Ultra I got last night. Either way, I'll help ya if I can.

3 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

The one I'm very close on is the Hybrid FTW 3080, which I prefer over the one that I got. So I'd potentially swap that out for the FTW Ultra I got last night. Either way, I'll help ya if I can.

Yea, I’d buy your FTW Ultra, I can’t fit the hybrid cooler since all my fans are 140mm and it uses 120mm, and I really don’t want to have to rebuy my RGB Corsair fans :p 

On 12/16/2020 at 6:29 AM, Spork3245 said:

Sign up for stockdrop’s telegram channel. The easiest strategy would to be to buy an EVGA 20xx card and use their step-up program, though (since you’re on a 980 iirc).

I see this is old, but step up is what I did. I got in the day the cards went live, and am still waiting. The 2070Super is holding up alright though.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Welp, this $600 stimulus check will be the perfect excuse for me to buy an RTX card.

I mean, I tried ray tracing in Control on a 1080 Ti, but 20 fps is only acceptable on the N64.

I hear from reliable sources that 20 FPS is "just fine," so don't be a snob.

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

As a 2080ti owner, is it worth upgrading.to either a 3080 or 3090 right now, or should I wait until the next batch of cards come?

Do you want more performance? It's not a major jump but if u game at 4k it might be worth it.

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

As a 2080ti owner, is it worth upgrading.to either a 3080 or 3090 right now, or should I wait until the next batch of cards come?

It depends on how many games you play have Ray Tracing. With RT, the performance difference is fairly significant, however, non-RT the 3080 is about 30% faster than a 2080 Ti on average.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It depends on how many games you play have Ray Tracing. With RT, the performance difference is fairly significant, however, non-RT the 3080 is about 30% faster than a 2080 Ti on average.

I honestly don't play on PC all that much.  I primarily use it for multiplayer shooters' like Warzone, Apex.  Then also a lot of the Early Access Survival type games.

Cyberpunk is the first big release ive played where I care about high settings and performance in a long while, since Fallen Order.  I'll probably end up waiting, but it's tempting when i see them available to to try to quickly snag one.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I honestly don't play on PC all that much.  I primarily use it for multiplayer shooters' like Warzone, Apex.  Then also a lot of the Early Access Survival type games.

Cyberpunk is the first big release ive played where I care about high settings and performance in a long while, since Fallen Order.  I'll probably end up waiting, but it's tempting when i see them available to to try to quickly snag one.

A 3080 can’t even get 60fps avg in ultra settings at 4k in CyberPunk. Probably best to wait, and maybe the game will be patched up when a 3080 Ti launches :p